Start by marking “Leviticus (Holy Bible: Old Testament)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Leviticus

Anonymous

Leviticus (Bible #3)

To many students no book of the Bible may seem duller than Leviticus. In fact, Leviticus is extremely important for a proper understanding of ancient Israelite religion and worship. Many of its supposed arcane practices actually provide valuable insights into Israelite society and thinking, once they are properly understood in the light of modern studies in social anthropo ...more
Published by Prince Frederick, MD Recorded Books (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Leviticus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leviticus

Jules
Jan 25, 2015 Jules rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-challenge
Part of my READ THE BIBLE WITHIN A YEAR challenge.

Wish me luck, as I've got a long way to go!

This book is not the most thrilling of reads. I think I've just been reminded of why I never got beyond completing Exodus last time I attempted to read the whole Bible quite a few years ago!

The main focus of this book appears to be an almost endless list of laws, rules & regulations for both priests & the rest of humankind to abide by in order to remain alive & not be rejected by God.

This b
Charlotte
A challenging yet eye-opening read.
K.Denae
I didn't get a good understanding of the different offerings. I understood everything else.
Doug Newell
Mar 03, 2017 Doug Newell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Cochran Heath does a great job reading the Scriptures. I am greatly helped by listening to the audio while I follow along in the book of Leviticus. So many requirements, by so many men, so much detail, it is overwhelming...but Christ Jesus, this one man, fulfilled the law Himself, and sat down at the right hand of the Father. All these priestly laws and sacrifices, for all those generations, could not do what Jesus did. And, it took all those men, and all those sacrifices, and all the furn ...more
Elias Vasilis Kontaxakis
For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you for making atonement for your lives on the altar; for, as life, it is the blood that makes atonement.

After a strong lead the Torah tanks with three of the most boring books in the Bible: Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Having told enough stories, the priests sit down and instruct the Hebrews on what they should not do in order to keep the Lord’s favor. Rather than combining a review for all three books, I’ll do short revi
Luiz Fabricio
Feb 26, 2015 Luiz Fabricio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dragging Read

In the best possibilities, the people of Israel escaped out of slavery in Egypt to a very well watched freedom. The moral is very strict about tattoos, homosexuality, see other people's nudity and various things involving animals in the region among copulate with them, to lend them, store them, steal them and eat them. The code of conduct imposed by to the children of Israel by God is very strict and full of nuances and the book of Leviticus is the continuation of Exodus in the spee

Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

Sidenote: The reason for such vague and short and "eh" words on each of these books, is because I wasn't challenging the study of the Bible when I read these. I was challenging myself to read the whole Bible in a year because I knew it would be discipline to keep at it daily. I do, however, plan to pick up a book and study what it is saying. Those will be longer reads and more notes.

So here is my review from my "Read the Bible in a Year" challenge. Usually just snippets of thou
Joan Haughton
Feb 14, 2017 Joan Haughton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book of the law written by Moses. I know I have said it several times before but each time I read this book I thank God for Jesus. The laws were detailed and numerous. Thank God that Jesus came and left only two laws: love God and love people.

Bless the name of Jesus!
Cat Juggler
Jan 31, 2017 Cat Juggler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of the Law explains that Jehovah God is HOLY and dwells in unapproachable light. God requires the absolute holiness of His people. God does not allow sin (or sinful people) near Him; yet, God is LOVE. For Him to stop loving would require Him to stop being Jehobvah God.

The Israelites were given rules and requirements so that they could have renewed contact with God. They were required to perform certain works.
The works they did required blood sacrifice to restore them to a reunion with
Vrixton Phillips
I'll be real: this is an excellent answer to insomnia with its long lists of strange [sometimes unsettling] laws and odd stories thrown in seemingly at random. But it's also the source of some important verses being discussed today, such as the marriage equality debate, and of some more important and more likely to be ignored verses such as how to save the poor and giving to the poor &c.

Fun fact: the phrase "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth," has its source here [and likely in other places,
Whitney
This book of the Bible was hard for me to get through. It contains a detailed description of the rules the Levites were to follow while worshipping God.
I thought the amount of description was fascinating, but a bit repetitive. I plan to read the entire Bible cover to cover, so I'm happy that I completed this part of the challenge.
Joan Haughton
Jul 11, 2015 Joan Haughton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Bless the name of Jesus!
Ali
Jan 27, 2017 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joan Haughton
Oct 04, 2014 Joan Haughton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WORDS FROM THE BOOK OF LEVITICUS:

The Lord called to Moses from the Tabernacle and said to him

“Give the following instructions to the entire community of Israel. You must be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.

BLESS THE NAME OF JESUS!
Patti
Jun 19, 2015 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did more study and looked up things online and I understand more about the sacrifices, offerings and celebrations than I did before.
Alisia
Reading as literature, not theology.
Glen
Feb 05, 2015 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading as part of Read the Bible in a Year ...
E.A.G. E.A.G.
Dec 19, 2016 E.A.G. E.A.G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite book of the bible but informational and something to keep in mind when reading much of the bible is context of the time and the locations. A good read non the less. :)
Joan Haughton
Apr 12, 2014 Joan Haughton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each time I read Leviticus, I am so grateful for the love that God show towards us in sending His son to die as an atonement for our sins. Bless the name of Jesus
Diana
Jan 24, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read. Harder to love. A must if you want to understand the history of Judaism and Christianity. The book most likely to be used as a social weapon against others. Not cool.
Emily Folger
Emily Folger rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Eadweard
Eadweard rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
LHB
LHB rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Francis
Francis rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2015
Shloka
Shloka rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Jennifer Cassell
Jennifer Cassell rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

Bible (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • Genesis