Hong Kong Babylon

Hong Kong Babylon

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Hong Kong cinema embraces a wide spectrum of films, from mystical ghost stories set in a fabled past to the physical pyrotechnics of Jackie Chan and the violent urban-crime dramas of John Woo. This is a study of a world in which actors risk their lives performing life-threatening stunts and explosive feats of martial arts; in which producers are part of triads and will res...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Faber & Faber (first published June 23rd 1997)

Eric
In between yesterday and today I managed to read an entire book without really meaning to, but I found some downtime.

I read through Hong Kong Babylon, which is a book about HK cinema's "New Wave" (basically late 70s to early 90s or so) and the rise of Tsui Hark, John Woo and the like. Covers many interesting areas of HK Cinema with a number of anecdotes I was already familiar with.

There are a number of sections to the book.

The first 75 pages or so is essentially New Wave HK Cinema 101 covering m...more
Sophie Long
Such an interesting read, and a helpful insight into East Asia'a best cinematic productions!
Evan
Paired with the more fun "Sex, Zen and a Bullet in the Head," you pretty much have all you need to know about the golden age of Hong Kong commercial cinema from the 70s through the 90s. This one has a good filmography in the back.
D
Hasn't let me down.
Reese Thompson
awesome!
TJ
TJ marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Maxwell
Maxwell marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Sri Harsha
Sri Harsha marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Joe Juvland
Joe Juvland marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Jeff
Jeff added it
Sep 09, 2013
Adel Hussein
Adel Hussein marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Tim Goebel
Tim Goebel marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012