Start by marking “Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know

Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  6,026 ratings  ·  134 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published August 18th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Golden Lily by Richelle MeadHallowed by Cynthia HandRapture by Lauren Kate
Seekers' list of Books of 2012
256th out of 270 books — 228 voters
Inkheart by Cornelia FunkeThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneLove You Forever by Robert MunschThis is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenI Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Great childrens books
72nd out of 138 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Next time I hear anyone talk about how violent movies and video games are and how they are so bad for the kids, I am going to point them in the direction of this book. If I were to pick any book to have someone read in the hope that they would suffer from nightmares, it would be this one and this collection of stories. American Psycho didn't frighten or disturb me as much as this book did. Now, a reason for that could be because I've dabbled in the soliciting and subsequent murdering of prostitu ...more
May 17, 2010 Steven is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
There are 24 separate stories in this book. Here's where I am so far...

Chapter 1. ONE EYE, TWO EYES, THREE EYES: I like magic goats. Add some mutants, and I'm in heaven. Excellent.

Chapter 2. THE MAGIC MIRROR: This is better known as "Snow White." The key difference from the film? The protagonist is 7 years old. To me this makes the story so much better.

Chapter 3. THE ENCHANTED STAG: I liked it.

Chapter 4. HANSEL AND GRETHEL: The father is so much less likable than I remember from my youth. It app
I probably wouldn't have read this had it not been free for kindle. There're some favorites in here, but while I enjoy fairytails in general, I much prefer the unfiltered Grimm's. I mean, Cinderella's just not the same without some good ole toe carnage.
May 06, 2013 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All families kids 5+
Recommended to Megan by: Audible
I was looking for an audiblebook that would provide a lot of bang for the buck (11 hours 5 minutes for 1 credit). We've been reading several novelizations of fairy tales lately,(like "Half Upon A Time") and they make reference to fairy tales that my kids aren't familiar with (like Rose Red, or the man who slew 7 with one blow). So, we've been checking out physical fairy tale books as well as audio books about fairy tales to fill in the holes in our fairy tale education.
This compilation uses olde
Jeremy Herrera
Not having really ever hearing the true fairy tales other than Disney or other modern children's story tailing, now I know the really tales. While the Disney spins of these tales are good and great moral values are taught to children, the actual fairy tales are much better and give a better lesson of moral values. They are more dark and in some cases violent than what we currently tell our children. Another great thing about this book is that it is more than just a few Grimm Fairy Tales but a fe ...more
Katherine Myong
For my independent reading, I chose the book "Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know" by Hamilton Wright Mabie, and enjoyed it immensely. It is a book of fantasy stories, and I would recommend it not only to a child - like the title suggests - but to adults that want to indulge in their childhood again.

We're familiar with Disney - that big, iconic company that produces stunningly animated feature films, racking in millions of dollars from viewers around the world.
We're familiar with Disney's fairyt
Barbara Ann
This collection of fairy tales consists of many from collections familiar to readers like Grimm, Arabian Knights, Hans Christian Andersen and Charles Perrault. Some are less familiar such as The Light Princess from George MacDonald.

There are no illustrations in the collection. Certainly some of these tales will inspire the reader to visualize many terrifying characters that might defy illustrations. In any case, I would not recommend them to young children because there is a great deal of violen
Cecilia Ryan
In terms of retellings of fairytales that were perfectly fine before they were re-told, this is a book full of bad ones. I suspect some of them are just bad translations, but the prose is pretty awful in more than one place, and the stories are told awkwardly. Which is an unforgivable sin for a collection of fairytales, because the only thing that makes one different from another is the way they're written down.

I am disappointed by this book.
Really liked reading since it is a collection of all those wonderful stories that one must have read in childhood. All those, fairies, beasts, giants and mostly good old English. By old, i mean really really old. The one's right after thy's and thou's. Though i admit thy's and thou's are funny to read, this one is a real pleasure. Simple stories that help to the wild imagination of children. Though there are certain stories that i found boring, the rest were so good that i choose to ignore the s ...more
J.R. Barker
I think this should be called fairy tales every child should know once they've grown up.
Some of the stories may want vetting for younger children.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book I would stick to the modernised fairy tale versions.
It is fascinating to see where some of the stories stemmed from and how they have been altered.

It was weird, some of these stories seemed sanitised (Cinderella for example), while others revelled in the tradition of gory fairy tales for children. Of course, we did have the perfect princesses and brave princes, but I did detect a note of sarcasm on occasion. Still, a nice read which took me back to my childhood.
Ulol Kimil
It's funny how the stories you "knew" via cinema/TV are quite so different from their real versions. Some are crud, some others more deep, some just have no happy ending, and nevertheless, almost everybody only knows the Disneysied happy versions. What a pity.
Mary E. Daily
Remembered stories of my youth.

Yes, so many stories just as I remembered them, some I had never heard, and some different than I remembered. This is a great collection of fairy tales, saving the best for last!
Extended versions (full version?) of all the familiar childhood fairy tales like Aladdin & Alibaba, Hansel & Gretel etc, refreshing to read these again as an adult and realise how dark these tales actually are.
Wow. These are not your Disney sugar coated fairy tales, although everyone does end up living happily ever after. Well, almost everyone. It was interesting to read them in their original forms, though.
A great read, full of stories that every child should know. Reading this reminded me of all day f the stories I used to and has reawakened my love of fairy tales
Ruth McGough
This is a good book.

I enjoyed reading these stories first, then to my children. My son enjoyed Beauty and the Beast best of all.
Natalie Gamble
A very fun collection of fairy tales, many that I had never heard of before. It was a very light read and kept me very entertained.
I wouldn't say that these are essential fairy tales that every child should know. It's a fair collection though, from more well-known stories (Cinderella, Hanzel and Gretel, Jack and the Beanstalk) to more obscure stories (The Enchanted Stag, The Fair One with the Golden Locks). The problem with a lot of these stories, though, is that they're changed from their original tellings, sometimes drastically.

There's a lot of artistic license taken with some of the stories, which is fine in some places.
Jeffery Williams
The stories are not quite the way I remember them. The language gets quite archaic sometimes. Still a nice set of fairy tales.
Carol Ann
Yipes, and to think I enjoyed these as an impressionable child! What were the Brothers Grimm, and my beloved Walt Disney smoking?
Edy Gies
Wow! Talk about violent! Some of these stories are super violent others are randomly weird. I had never read or heard of the story about the princess who is cursed with a lack of gravity. It was interesting that it had an affect on her both physically and her emotionally. She laughed when she should cry and could never take anything seriously. Her dad was a really big jerk. It is interesting to note that many of these had the message that if one is kind, nice, and loyal good things will happen. ...more
Cute, most of these I had never actually read before so it was interesting.
Nataly Robles
The Light Princess was definitely my favorite story.
A very different take on the classic fairy tales.
Brian Remmerde
Fantastic collection of orignal fairy tales!
Yi Ding
Very classical and easy to understand.
on my kindle!
A bunch of old fairy tales, pulled from various sources.

I'll do them by author, since they're hard to classify all in one chunk.

Grimm's Fairy Tales
"The Magic Mirror", "Hansel and Grethel", etc
No plot, no character development, a few are hideously abridged (although I can't tell if this is just a particularly bad edition), they're written in a rather dull language, and quite honestly not enjoyable in the least.

1001 Nights
"Aladdin", "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves", etc
These are actually not bad, but
How do I give a rating to a collection of fairy tales? I gave this one 3 stars because I enjoyed about half of the fairy tales in it.

This collection of tales was compiled in 1905 by Hamilton Wright Mabie. I read the free Amazon Kindle edition. All of the stories contain some awkward and archaic 19th century words and phrases. However, the best tales in it are full of whimsical fantasy and time-tested plots that still shine through.

These are my favorite tales that are told well in this book:

• American Fairy Tales
  • The Golden Acorn
  • Celtic Tales, Told to the Children
  • A Collection of Stories
  • Smart School Time Recipes
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Popular Tales from the Norse
  • Alaeddin And The Enchanted Lamp
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3 (Large Print Edition)
Hamilton Wright Mabie, A.M., L.H.D., LL.D. (1846–1916) was an American essayist, editor, critic, and lecturer.
More about Hamilton Wright Mabie...

“Fair queen, at home there is none like thee,
But over the mountains is Snow-white free,
With seven little dwarfs, who are strange to see;
A thousand times fairer than thou is she.

Queen, thou art not the fairest now;
Snow-white over the mountain's brow
A thousand times fairer is than thou.

Queen, thou art the fairest here,
But not when Snow-white is near;
Over the mountains still is she,
Fairer a thousand times than thee.”
“Then the maiden climbed into a tree, and, seating herself in the branches, began to knit.” 3 likes