Start by marking “MacNamara's Woman” as Want to Read:
MacNamara's Woman

MacNamara's Woman (Family Secrets #2)

THE SURVIVOR

Ten years ago, Tamara Allistair learned that she had no one to rely upon except herself. Now her existence was threatened again�but this time there was someone to lend her a hand. Her protector? C. J. MacNamara, self-appointed rescuer of downtrodden women….

Too bad Tamara had decided that "love" was out of her vocabulary. Because with C.J.'s rock-solid appeal

Published September 1st 1997 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about MacNamara's Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MacNamara's Woman

Saly
Rating 3.5

This is the second in the Maximillian's Children series, a man who fathered children with three different women and whose kids still don't know what he did and facts about his death.

CJ's mother was the one Max loved, but he never married her since she didn't have a inheritance. CJ as a little boy saw his mother wither away with disease trying to save her with Max nowhere to be found. After her death he was with Max until he died too and he went to live with his grandmother with his sib
Lynsey A
Not sure this one is even worth 2 stars. The heroine was annoying and unlikable. She kept pushing away the hero. Some authors can write a story with someone facing a difficult past but still a likable character, i.e. Joss from On Dublin Street. Despite her issues I still liked her. Not so much this heroine.

I liked the hero better until he had a TSTL moment and touched and removed evidence!! Really? Someone is trying to kill her and you remove evidence? And then let said victim drive off in the c
Mary-Megan
I didn't like either of the main characters. I understand that she had been through a huge trauma, but she was too cold and he was way too persistent to the point that he was almost a stalker. That isn't romantic. The drama/suspense was decent come the second half, but it was weak on the romance.
Nicole
Feb 19, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this from a mystery date a book at my library and although its not a book I would normally have picked up I liked it. Moved fairly fast I will be picking up the next in the series
Natalia
Oct 01, 2013 Natalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome read by Lisa Gardner. I just realized that the books in this series are actually reprints of books Lisa wrote in the early 90s under a pen name. Now that I know this, it explains a lot of my curiosity at the lack of modern technology. Regardless of when the book was written, my enjoyment of it is in no way diminished.

Lisa Gardner has always had the talent of writing some seriously messed up and complex characters that enthrall you from beginning to end. This story is about the s
Kari
May 13, 2014 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2014
I have to say that I really liked Macnamara's Woman much more than the first one in the series, Maggie's Man. The major reason was that neither main character annoyed me. Tamara is in Sedona to try to find the truth about the accident that killed her family and her boyfriend and left her with years of surgeries and physical therapy. The problem is that she is convinced the hit and run car was driven by a Senator. She just needs proof.

I felt for Tamara. She had no one to help her recover. She has
Robin
Aug 24, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was better than I expected, about a 3.5. I like the Lisa Gardner mystery thrillers but Maggie's Man did not live up to what I expected from Gardner. However, this one was much better than Maggie's Man. The dialogue between C.J. and Tamara was sharply written. The character development was well thought out and gave life to both characters. The reader ends up rooting for both characters. The negatives were that the who done it was not much of a mystery. There could have bit a bit more sto ...more
Carol  MacInnis
Nov 05, 2013 Carol MacInnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten years ago Tamara Allistair was in a car accident that took the life of her parents and boyfriend and left her critically injured. Directly after the accident, she remembered seeing a man staring in the car and before she knew it he turned away and she heard the car speed away. Now all these years later she leaves her home in New York and returns to Sedona, Arizona where it all happened to try and find the man who killed her family and left her for dead.

Ex-Marine C.J. MacNamara is owner of a
Kendra
Jun 27, 2014 Kendra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out really interesting, good plot, murder mystery, good character development then 3/4 of the way through it turned into a harlequin romance novel with steamy not rated G scenes. The scenes really didn't enhance the story line at all merely detracting from it and making me rather uncomfortable listening to it in my car with the windows rolled down :-) I am not a prude, but to be honest I appreciate good clean fiction without the details, probably why I read mostly Christian fic ...more
Linda
Jul 02, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thoroughly enjoyable book with a lot of suspense.

Tamara Allistair’s world was turned upside down the night a car plowed into the car driven by her father. As her parents and boyfriend lay dying, Tamara saw a face peer into the wreckage and then leave. She spent years of surgery and rehab but had never forgotten the face of Senator George Brennan. Now she is trying to get proof and make him face up to the crime but someone is determined that Tamara fail in her quest. Back in Sedona, sh
Mcfree
Oct 17, 2013 Mcfree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a feel good read. It is old, so
it has a very dated feel to it, which was distracting.

I have never read this author before. I was pleasantly surprised. It was well written. The main issues I had with the book had to do with it's age. We've come a long way in 20 years. Such a wimpy, clingy heroine wouldn't fly. So many essential pieces relied on the weaknesses of that period's lack of connectivity. Even the heroine's medical issues were dependent on that period's medical options.

I guess
Darcy
Oct 21, 2013 Darcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find reading this author's early work to be interesting, but I like her newer mysteries much better. This one wasn't bad, but I wanted more interaction between the siblings. There were a couple of calls with Brandon, but Maggie was no where to be seen.

I felt sorry for Tamara, for what she went through and how it affected her life. I did like that CJ was there for her from the start, loved that he new she was it for him, but knew it would scare him away, so he took things slow. My heart was bre
Eileen
Nov 24, 2014 Eileen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Before she was the acclaimed author I love, Lisa Gardner wrote as Alicia Scott in an entirely different genre. This is a typical bad romance novel with a typical happy ending. In between, it had all the usual stuff. Boy meets girl, girl hates boy, ridiculous "passionate" scenes. Blech. There are two other books in this series, but I'll pass and stick to her fantastic, page turning suspense novels.
Dianna
Oct 31, 2013 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was pretty intense. A lot of emotional stuff to be dealt with. The grieving process. Survivor's guilt. Heavy stuff. Plus trying not to get killed. Happy to be getting the opportunity to read these earlier works by one of my favorite authors. Looking forward to the final installment in this trilogy.
Bridget Bailey
Apr 16, 2015 Bridget Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in this trilogy and much like the first. Each book highlights each sibling and their journey but they seem to run somewhat parallel story lines. The book was good with some twists that were predictable to a point. Much like the first one, she describes the men all the same with the same kind of sex scenes in both. Still I enjoyed the book.
Debs
Jun 21, 2016 Debs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This is a re-read for me and I enjoyed it just as much the second time. The whole series is just a great read no matter what name it is under. I love Lisa Gardner books, and it is just so much fun to go back and read older ones to see how styles in writing have changed with today's suspenseful romance books. Recommended Read....4 Stars!
Allyson Bossie
Jul 31, 2013 Allyson Bossie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was an excellent read about a woman with a secret past trying to right the wrong done to her family. Ex-Marine CJ is trying his best to keep her safe, although she seemingly wants nothing to do with him or his care taking. Throw in the twists and turns of the least expected person being the one who hurt her family, and this makes for a riveting read!
Heather
It was okay, if I could rate it 3 & 1/2 stars I would, I just didn't feel it was 4. A quick read and suspenseful, but clear that it was one of Lisa Gardener's early works. This was the first one that I was able to solve the mystery 1/3 of the way into the book. However it was a good book anyway and I enjoyed it.
Michelle Paquette
Like the first book - this is a little over the top far-fetched. I did enjoy this one more than the first as I felt that the story was able to develop a little more and you kind of see how they are all connected somehow - which I'm sure will be the pivotal part in the 3rd and final book. This is another easy read, great for a beach day type book.
Katherine
Jul 12, 2013 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this one as purely entertainment (nothing wrong with that!). Alicia Scott (Lisa Gardner's romance AKA) is clearly not as skilled as she becomes later, but she knows how to create interesting characters and story lines. Plan to read the rest of this series, also.

I received this as an ARC from whom I can't remember. Great win.
Eric
Sep 06, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very surprised as to how well I enjoyed MacNamara's Woman since I had not heard Of Alicia Scott Now Im glad that I have finally. I finished the book in just two days, it was one of those books I could not put down until I finished it. I found it to be a very well crafted story with true characters within its pages. I look forward to enjoying more of Miss Scott's work in the future.
Debbie Mclean
Mar 08, 2014 Debbie Mclean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down! Same as the first book in this series it was written fabulously and with great attention to detail! I am reading the final book and find I am always thinking of what is happening while I am trying to make dinner for my family!
Julia
Jul 26, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this story were so good. I loved/admired/could relate to Tamara and C.J. was perfect. Although I wasn't as drawn in to this story as others Lisa Gardner has written, it was a really good read.
Marilyn Bates
Mar 14, 2014 Marilyn Bates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like this book. It was a quick read and kept me picking it back up again between household chores. I can always count on a Lisa Gardner book to keep me entertained whether on vacation or going to bed at night. She has written so many books that it's hard to not find one that you like.
Josephine
I found the pacing slow and I wasn't overly intrigued by the premise, or how the hero and heroine met. This is probably not a series I will continue with.
Malcolm Gregoire
Jun 02, 2016 Malcolm Gregoire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale of mystery and romance not normally in my wheelhouse. A PR exec trying to get the evidence to tie a senator to her family's death 10 years ago. And a bar owner that comes to her aid.
Robin Dilks
Dec 04, 2015 Robin Dilks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this one up a good murder mystery, that is easy to follow with interesting characters. I enjoyed the read .
Diana
3.5 stars This is a stronger, more interesting story than the first book in the series. Narrator Kate Rudd captures heroine Tamara very convincingly.
Carey
Jan 11, 2014 Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the main character and her tragic past. Interested enough to track down the other books in this series.
Melissa Cabo
Jul 17, 2013 Melissa Cabo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me reading until wee hours of the night...I was very tired at work the next day!Suspenseful and addicting. Good read!
  • I'd Kill For That
  • Jack's Christmas Mission (The Protectors, #16) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #1113)
  • Protecting Her Own (Guardians, Inc., #2)
  • The 7th Month (Detective D.D. Warren #5.5)
  • Joyful (Return to Sugarcreek, #3)
  • Keeper's Reach (Sharpe & Donovan, #5)
  • Three
  • Bodyguard/Husband
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
  • Jezebel's Blues
  • Manna From Heaven
  • Blade's Lady
  • Iguana Bay
  • No Promise of Love
  • Look-Alike Lawman (Texas Twins, #4)
  • Against the Mark (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #9)
  • The Miracle Man (Hatfield, #1)
  • My Second Death
A pseudonym used by Lisa Gardner.

Series:
* Walking After Midnight
* Guiness Gang
* Maximillian's Children - re-released by Penguin (2013) under the updated series name Family Secrets
More about Alicia Scott...

Family Secrets (3 books)
  • Maggie's Man (Family Secrets, #1)
  • Brandon's Bride (Family Secrets, #3)