Start by marking “Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Dark Blue: Color Me Lo...

Melody Carlson

Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,726 ratings  ·  129 reviews

Devastated, Kara feels betrayed and abandoned by everyone—even God. Yet for all the hurt and insecurity, these dark blue days contain a life-changing secret. Kara has the chance to discov

Library Binding, 196 pages
Published November 11th 2008 by Baker & Taylor, CATS (first published December 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Blue

Merary
Jun 16, 2012 Merary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Super Christians! >.>
Recommended to Merary by: My mom--well not really, I did it to please her
UPDATE 6/12/12: This is not the type of book I usually read. Sure, I had read books with religious themes in it, but never a Christian-for-teenagers book. I picked this book up because my mom thinks is unhealthy for me to read paranormal books (Something I disagree very greatly). But, since she keeps insisting, I'm going to read this book. I hope I don't regret this.

This is going to be the most awkward review ever.

Let's get one thing straight: I'm a Christian. Sure, I cuss like a fucking sailor,
Heather
This book was a free one on the Kindle. I honestly would not have looked twice at it but I do get all the free books. I didn't know anything about the series or the author.

The book was awkwardly written in present tense first person. I never did go back and check, but I could have sworn there were instances of slipping into past tense... maybe there weren't and the writing was so weird that it just felt that way.

Kara was a miserable character. Her whole existence was based on her friend Jordan a
Tina
Original post at One More Page

I've been curious about Melody Carlson's True Colors series back when I first saw them during the Manila International Book Fair. However, because of my series completion compulsion back then, I never got it. For one thing, there are about 12 books in the series, and another, I couldn't find the first book. Whenever I do find the first book, I feel like maybe I should get the next one too, so I skip on buying it. Until I finally got a copy during one of the sales I
Sandy
The first in the True Colors series. This is actually my first Christian Fiction book to read, so I wanted to talk about it a little. The first two books in this series look like they're the only ones that need to be read in order, and that's only because this book introduces the main character for the next book. This was actually pretty good. It's the story of a girl who loses her best friend to the popular crowd, and gets horribly lonely (haven't we all felt that way?), and eventually manages ...more
Ann

I must say that I regret reading this book. I probably should have paid more attention to the back cover when checking it out from the library but I read it anyway, and now I regret it. After reading this book, not only did I come to the conclusion that I wasted 2 hours of my life on it, but I started to rethink myself. That maybe I ate too much, I wasn't good enough, etc. And as a teenager I was pretty offended by seeing some of the reviews on the book cover itself, "Carlson understands teens
Alivia
I got this book at an Evangelical church conference, and I have to say... This book changed my life. I don't know, I guess before I was kind of oblivious, but after this book my eyes were opened to all of the tragedy going on all over the world. If you are ever looking for an inspirational book, Pick this book up.
Emma J
Oct 14, 2010 Emma J rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens
Recommended to Emma by: No one
I thought the book was very good, Melody Sarlson is very good at writing books that pertain to what is going on in teens lives to a T. I started this book in like 3 hours, it was sooo good I just couldn't put it down.

The book is about a very shy girl named Kara Hendricks. Kara and her best friend Jordan Ferguson have been friends since kindergarden but didenly once they hit their Sophmore year in high school they suddenly become very distant from each other, Jordan makes the cheerleading squad
$hanel
Dark Blue is the first book in the True Colors series and is a depressing one but it gets better! Kara Hendricks "used" to be best friends with Jordan Ferguson that is until Jordan joins the popular crowd and leaves Kara behind feeling "dark blue" and feeling friendless. Kara wanders around her house in most parts of the book. She also skips school sometimes! One day at school Kara meets the school nerd Edgar Peebles and the school goth girl Amy. Edgar teaches Kara that she does have a best frie ...more
Carissa
first reviewed here: http://belovedgraceful-carissasbooksh...

Title: Dark Blue Color me lonely

Author: Melody Carlson

Series: True Colors series.

Genre: Teen Christian Fiction

Rating: 5 Stars

Dark Blue: Color me lonely is a teen novel that deals with tough issues. But it is really well done. I was say that these are books that are for older teens high schoolers. This is because the issues are what high school girls face every day. Dark Blue deals with the issues being lonely after losing a best frien
Brendle Moyer
I have read all of Melody Carlson's books. Carlson's book relate to things that teenagers go through and how they can face the situation with a Christian outlook. This particular book was about popularity and the in crowd. It showed how friendships can change so quickly based on another friend joining a different crowd. It also shows that being popular is not the most important aspect of life. I love reading her books because they can help me face certain situations.
I read this to get an idea of what YA Christian fiction is like. And this book confirms my suspicion that it sucks. While the plot set-up was good, the last third was just unrealistic. 'Finding Jesus' doesn't fix your life in less then a week and no one actually talks like this. The ending was pat and not real to the characters. This book was written more to teach a lesson about Christ then to tell a story.
Abigail R
This book is about two girls one names Jordan the other named Kara. The book focuses on how their friendship how they became friends and how they stopped being friends. Also, tells lets us know how Kara feels about the whole situation. During the beginning half of the book Kara is seriously sad and depressed with losing her best friend. The other half tells us the new friends Kara made and how she recovers.
I feel like this book can relate to a lot of teenagers that lost their best friend and fee
Grace
Kara has been shy her whole life, then, her best friend dumps her. She is extremely lonely, until she finds art friends, who eventually lead her to jesus, and her whole life turns around.
This book had it ups and downs. where to begin? how about the beginning.
Well, kara completely overreacted. Her friend missed where they where they meet to walk to school. Once. And her reaction was: I guess our friendship is over.

Even after Jordan (the friend in question) give an explanition why she missed it,
Calista
This really related to my life and that's why I enjoyed it. It was about friendship problems and is a christian book. The last sentence really made me feel like I ended the book with a good ending. I really want to read the second book since it's from another person's perspective.
Kirstin
This book brings up a lot of really good questions. It is about how friendships in school can often end when different paths are chosen. It is good to think about which path we can take when we feel lonely and depressed. Religious bits come through which makes it nice, too.
Ashley
Mar 07, 2014 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kara is ditched by her best friend in highschool. She becomes depressed and doesn't even want to live anymore. But once she accepts Christ as her Savior and becomes a Christian she has a new outlook on life. This book is a very good book!
Ashley L
I thought that this book was really boring , I stoped in the middle of it because it kept on going on and on about how kara felt bad because her friend ditched her, I was disapointed because I really like this author.
Katie Lee
I loved this book as a teen because I sometimes felt lonely and reading about someone else who struggles with similar issues made me feel better.
Cookielover
What girl doesn't feel lonely sometimes?
I loved this book because it lets us know we don't have to be.
Paola
Describes exactly how things are in High School. Great with understanding young adults.
Kat
greatsereis not as good as the Carter Girls series but its good
Alexa
It won't let me read it :(
EMi
This book is about a girl named Kara (a serious Debbie Downer) who becomes severely depressed after her fun loving best friend Jordan drops her to go hang out with people who actually enjoy their lives. Kara's entire life has revolved around Jordan, and when Jordan joins the cheer-leading team and makes new friends, Kara is absolutely against it. I had a friend like Kara. Her only friend was me, and when I tried to introduce her to other people, she just couldn't handle it.

Kara just seems to be
Karla Burrow
This book is about a very annoying girl, Kara, who feels that her best friend, Jordon, "dumps" her to try out for the cheerleading squad. During the majority of this book, Kara is so moopy that is gets old very quick. Kara even starts to make new friends, but pushes them away and is still like "Whoa is me, I don't have any friends, I'm such a loser." Among of her new friends, Edgar starts talking about religion to Kara. Then, Kara goes to Edgar's church for a teenage bible study. The next day, K ...more
Alex
This is the first in the TrueColors series, and coincidentally one of the few I had not read before. I knew a bit about Kara's character due to reading Jordan's side of the story years ago in book 2, but I still wanted to read this. (I also don't remember book 2 very well)

Wow, Kara was such a downer! I really disliked Jordan in her book, but I can see why she'd want to ditch Kara, honestly. I also don't even feel like she really did. She kept trying to talk to Kara but KARA is the one who decide
Krysta
The Color Me series was given to my by my Christian boyfriend's sister, since she didn't need them anymore and thought they reminded her of another series that my sister is reading (though they are actually QUITE different). I was stuck in an airport during a layover when my flight got canceled, so I picked up the first book in the Color Me series.
I know the book is meant for a much younger age group, and I;m not a Christian (or religious at all for that matter) but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Anneliese
I was very disappointed with this book, for several different reasons. Kara - the main character - has lost her best friend, which is reason to be sad, even depressed; but saying her life is 'horrible', and that she wants to die? Going from desperately wanting her former best friend back, to saying that she was 'dangerous' and it was good that she was no longer friends with her? This book was simply pages upon pages of overly dramatic self pity.

Furthermore, it is quite hard to identify with a ch
TWJ Magazine
High school sophomore Kara Hendricks’ world is getting turned upside down. She’s losing her best friend, Jordan, to the worst people possible - The Cheerleaders. Since joining the squad, Jordan is more concerned with mingling with the in-crowd than she is with spending time with Kara. Kara feels deserted by her best friend, and becomes withdrawn from everything, until she discovers someone who she can trust to truly be her best friend, forever.

Melody Carlson’s True Colors series starts off with
Maria
Description (from Goodreads): Kara Hendricks and Jordan Ferguson have been best friends since kindergarten. That is until Jordan started hanging out with a new "cool" crowd and decided Kara was a popularity liability.

Devastated, Kara feels betrayed and abandoned by everyone--even God. Yet for all the hurt and insecurity, these dark blue days contain a life-changing secret. Kara has the chance to discover something about herself that she never knew before.

Language: 10 words total. Mostly minor,
What did you feel when you read this? 6 24 Apr 03, 2013 04:57PM
  • Sweet Dreams (Christy Miller, #11)
  • Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 2: Second-Best Friend/Good-Bye, Dressel Hills/Straight-A Teacher/No Guys Pact/Little White Lies (Holly's Heart, #6-10)
  • Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #1)
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2) Finding Alice

“I do not understand what makes mothers think they are walking-talking thermometers.But I think somewhere during the process of giving birth and changing diapers, they actually begin to belive they have this supernatural sense.” 5 likes