Left-handed History Of The World

Left-handed History Of The World

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Julius Caesar and Isaac Newton were left-handed. So are Paul McCartney and Bill Gates. Intriguingly, a disproportionate number of U.S. presidents have also been lefties.

Why is it that such a high number of left-handed people feature in influential moments throughout history? Through fascinating case studies of notables from ancient to modern times, Ed Wright explains the s...more
Published August 25th 2007 by Barnes & Noble (first published 2007)

James Grainger
The majority of this book offered some interesting and valuable information. Unfortunately, I think that the analysis of the qualities of left-handed people was hilariously ridiculous. I would, however, recommend this book to anyone who is interested in history, as long as they ignore the comments on the people's "left-handed qualities."
I also love the irony that the author's name is Wright.
Temple
This was an interesting read, from the short biographies, to the left-handed tendencies. The persecution is a particularly interesting aspect of left-handedness, especially to those of us who have lived it. Many positives come through adversity, and this book is a celebration of that fact.
Lorraine
According to this, being left-handed, I should be brilliant, good at the concrete (no, I'm a grad student in english) and slightly wonky mentally (well, got THAT right). It's entertaining but should not be taken too seriously I think. A lot of the argument "iconoclastic etc" seems silly. The analysis of Nietszche is a bit lame -- why did Ed Wright write this again (because he's left handed? is he?). I would expect someone with a phd in american literature to be more sophisticated th... (show mor...more
Scott Schang
Definitely an interesting perspective on lefty traits. I think much of my connection to historical figures in this book is much like the irony you find in a well written fortune cookie, sometimes you reach a little to make it more relevant. As a lefty, I feel a little more comfort in the fact that I'm predisposed to mental illness. That's a relief, I thought for a minute there I was just going crazy.
Kalliste
Jan 24, 2009 Kalliste rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fellow left handers
This book somewhat fueled my ego. Telling me all the wondrous things about left handers and how the world is against us!
Altough, it did seem like a kind of sulk in places like how we can't use right handed scissors and everything is right oriented and etc. etc. That I didn't like so much.
I did like the link behind how the brain works with the leftness (or rightness) of the body and how that makes us lefties geniuses (heh, kidding... kinda) but it didn't really go into any of the bad stuff... it...more
Laurie
Quite entertaining, especially if you are a lefty! The author analyses the lives and decisions of left-handers through history, emphasizing the differences in intuition, visual-spatial ability, lateral thinking, and iconoclasm between them and the dominant right-handedness of culture through time.
The list of lefties studied is staggering - Alexander, Caesar, Michelangelo, Newton, Raphael, Da Vinci, Bonaparte, Beethoven, Twain, Ford, Curie, Gandhi, Chaplin, Ruth, Turing, Hendrix, Gates, Clinton,...more
Nick
This is a mildly entertaining series of potted histories of famous left-handers, or alleged lefthanders, beginning with Leonardo and Michelangelo, and going all the way up to Jimi Hendrix and Paul McCartney. The problem is that after several of the brief biographies, the stories all begin to sound alike. Lefties are tempestuous, contrary, and creative. They think laterally, where the rest of the world thinks, you know, inside the box. Cliches abound and I was in serious danger of believing that...more
Meredith
Really fascinating! So compelling recognizing the similarities of lefties, including our propensity for vegeterianism (and mental illness) to list a few. Following it's persecution over the centuries makes me realize how fortunate I am that I was never "tied down" and forced to write right-handed like my Mother or other family members. There have been some remarkable, extraordinary lefties in the world!
Kin Guan
This book should be placed on History shelf, not Psychology. It talks about many left-handed people in history and their common points, such as hot-tempered, excellent talent in mathematics, eccentric personality. This is a nice theme, but unfortunately the psychology aspect of being left-handed is a bit lacking in my humble opinion. Still, it is a good collection of short biographies :)
Jess
Very interesting book about influential individuals throughout history, that also happened to be left handed! Great book if you are left handed, because it gives a load of information about left handed tendencies, and you might find many similarities. Even if you are not left handed, this book is a really good read, and features beautiful photos. A great read.
Lorri
Of course I had to check this out, as I'm left handed. I spent a lovely weekend browsing this series of short biographies of famous Lefties. Interesting that we have an advantage in baseball and tennis and are more adaptable. Also interesting that we are more likely to have mental illnesses.

A fun read as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Marika
I usually don't read books like this,so when I got it for Christmas a while ago I didn't think I would read it. When I finally started looking through it I was surprised by how many amazing people I share this specific trait with. Some of the analysis about lefty characteristics are a bit out there but it was still a pretty interesting read.
Furuba9
This book is fascinating but it can get a bit dry if you read it for a while. It is also thick and heavy so it's one of those books you would take to the beach! There are little "chapters" about 3-5 pages about someone famous in history (starting with Ramses the Great). I generally read 1 "chapter" and after that it starts getting tedious.
Traci
LEFTIES UNITE! This is the book for me. :) There were some very interesting facts and stories about many "greats" from history. I enjoyed the different traits that lefties could have: empathetic, hot-tempered, fantasist, etc. (apparently, I have some of these traits too). This was a fun read!
Chaz
Eh. It's basically a brief introduction to famous lefties. Mozart. Beethoven. Queen Victoria. Chaplin. Napoleon. Ramses II. Nothing spectacular. Fun, Easy read.
Annie Oortman
Hey, left-handers! Looking for in-depth insight into why we're incredible people? This is the book for you. An absolutely incredible view of life from the other side.
Sharon
ok book, found it repetative at times, but did like the comparisons on other famous lefties.
C
Not the greatest writer (bizarre sentences), but the subject matter is interesting on its own.
Jose Luis
Great book for killing time, as a lefty I found the book entertaining.
Amber
Jan 01, 2011 Amber is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Finally a book that truly tells it like it is.
Lisa Dorenkamp
Interesting so far!
Hannah Murphy
Hannah Murphy marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Bintal
Bintal marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Chibi Yuriko
Chibi Yuriko marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
History's Greatest Scandals: Shocking Stories of Powerful People Lost Explorers: Adventurers Who Disappeared Off the Face of the Earth Ghost Colonies (Lost and Found in History) Fame & Infamy Celebrity Family Tree:  The World's Most Celebrated and Scandalous Dynasties