Start by marking “Daddy” as Want to Read:
Daddy

Daddy

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  397 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Who has the key to a $350 million fortune the Nazis have sent their most brilliant operative to find? Thomas, an 11-year old boy with the mind of a genius, the cunning of a fox, and the chance of a snowball in Hell to escape...unless he is helped by one man. An American who doesn't even know he exists. A man he calls Daddy.
Published November 12th 1990 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy

Bethany
Jan 11, 2012 Bethany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Bethany by: Shawna
The story is based during WWII and follows a young boy through trials and adventures as he runs for his life. In his head he holds the key, the numbers, to many lives and the Nazi regime wants it.

I have read this book 3 times over the past 15 years (and plan to read it again). I still gasp, and cry as I turn the pages. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for something different, and exciting.
Amazing, encapsulating... just plain fantastic!
Loup Durand, and his translation team, find ways to
Jeff
Pure adrenaline. Unadulterated fun. This book somehow calls out for clichéd opinions usually splashed across the bottom of a movie poster. That aside it is the perfect summer/airplane/lazy Sunday afternoon read. A suspenseful thriller set in Europe during WWII, it pits a genius 11 year old, Thomas, against the sadistic, brilliant manhunter Laemmle and the Nazis. With hundreds of millions of reichmarks at stake, Thomas, supported by Spanish snipers and someone who may or may not be his father, mu ...more
Eowensworld
One of my all-time favourite book. The story of a yong boy named Thomas who lived in the south of the France during WWII. His grand father was a banker and he protected Jews' money from the nazis. He was killed by the nazis without giving them the codes to unlock the money they desperatly need. His daughter knows the codes as well as her son, Thomas. And now he is tracked down by a very intelligent man, a monster name Laemmle, whose mission is to kidnap Thomas to force his mother to show up and ...more
Lilias Bennie
I have always stated that this is one of my most favourite books of all time. Set in France during the war, a young boy holding a secret is hunted down by the Nazi's. With his mother killed in front of him, he is vulnerable or so his captors think. A clever story with lots of twists and turns that leave you not reallying knowing how this is going to work out.
Carol Lavery watkins
Aug 31, 2013 Carol Lavery watkins rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I first read this book probably about 20 years ago and it instantly became my all time favourite book and remains so. I have read it several times over the years and I'm sure will read it many more times.
Once you pick it up you won't want to put it down.
Highly recommended.
Arika
Sep 03, 2008 Arika rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arika by: my mother in law
One of the best books I have ever read! Absolutely amazing!
Derek Davis
Oh feh! Nothing's worse than somebody with an excellent idea who fucks it up six ways to Sunday.

Loup Durand, first of all, is a pseudonym and a damned silly one. Second, he simply doesn't like most of his characters, so why does he write about them? Third, he takes the story of a secret code to untold millions of reichmarks laid away in banks around the world--money that could goose Hitler's war effort mightily if the Nazi's could lay hands on them -- and loses his own interest in it. Fourth th
Danny Tyran
Warning: If you start reading this book, you won't be able to stop until the last page.

One of the best thriller I read, if not the best. And written by a French author. You can buy it just for $ 0.01 on Amazon. :)

From Publishers Weekly
With superb plotting, mesmerizing characters and brilliant chase scenes, Daddy will enthrall connossieurs of suspense and intrigue from its opening sentences to the emotionally charged denouement. At the heart of this taut, psychological, action-packed thriller set
Danielle Tremblay
Le 18 septembre 1942, Thomas fête ses onze ans. Caché dans le sud de la France, protégé par des gardes du corps, pourchassé par les nazis, il n'est pas un petit garçon comme les autres. Pour la Gestapo, il vaut 724 millions de marks. Une somme qui justifie qu'on lance à ses trousses une horde de chasseurs. A leur tête, le plus surprenant des policiers, Gregor Laëmmie, un professeur de philosophie revenu de tout. La traque infernale commence. Contre l'étrange Gregor Laëmmie, Thomas, avec son cœur ...more
Ken
An absolute delight from start to finish.

I started the book thinking that it would be an espionage novel set during WWII, yet the book proved to be more of a well-written character study. A brilliant eleven year old boy, and a sadistic and highly intelligent Gestapo chief fight a 'war of logic', and it was set in WWII. Although there is plenty of action in the novel, it really is more of a carefully plotted game of psychological chess between this depraved military man, and the super talented bo
Nancy Hartill
Loved this book! I could see it in a movie...it is based in France, mostly, but a bit of Spain and Switzerland as well. I'm heading for the port of Sanary in less than a month as well as a shore excursion to Aix en Provence, and this book hits right at the heart of where I'm going, so I'm really pumped to be in the vicinity of all this action! The story of an 11 year old genius boy that has been required to remember the codes and numbers of all funds ($350 million) his grandfather took from the ...more
Kristina
One of my favorite books of all times. Originally written in french and translated. It is a fictional story about WWII and how jewish money was hidden in Swiss bank accounts.
A
I loved this book too. It is about an 11-year old boy who is a genius and his mother makes him remember bank account numbers to give to another person.
Harlan Edmonds
I'm a little puzzled by the reviewers who rave about this book as though Durand is the next LeCarre. The best thrillers (IMO) feature ordinary people who somehow end up in extraordinary situations and find their way out by careful cerebration and application of limited skills. This book features a character with a superhuman characteristic on which all else turns. Completely incredible, but not devoid of fun.
stormhawk
I tried, really I did.

This book came highly recommended. It's my friend's favorite book, or one of her favorites anyway. She went on and on describing it as an exciting WWII thriller ... I like that kind of a book. A lot. I've read bunches of them, and so, I was excited about Daddy going in.

I'm really not getting into this book. I told myself I'd read up to 1/3 before I made that decision, well, now I'm at 1/3 and it's still not going anywhere for me.

The language is heavy-handed, whether that'
Colleen
Ok...first, it was a WWII book and I always learn something new about the atrocities of the war when I read them..the Germans were crazed killing machines...among a lot of other things. But...they were not alone in their venture...

Second, I love the story line but I got a bit bored with the number of times the chase would wax and wain....

Third, I think this is one of the first times I thought a book would be better in the movie form vs the book. The chase would be a lot easier to follow on the s
Danielle Tremblay
Jan
This story is set in WWII about finance, and secrets, and hiding bank accounts from the Nazi's.

Includes a romance, a 11 year old child with a remarkable memory, the people who try and protect him and his family, and his battle against the German regime.

Extremely far fetched, but a nice read.
Susan Wilson
A deceptively simple book but hiding layer upon layer of plot and characterisation. I can't imagine that the original is any better than this translation, which is incredibly engaging. I can't remember how I found this book - serendipity probably - but I'm so glad I did.
Tonny
Tijd: 2e wereldoorlog.
11-jarig kind krijgt geheim doorgegeven door moeder en moet dit veilig bewaren en uiteindelijk doorgeven.
Wie kan hij wel of niet vertrouwen.
Speelt zich af in Spanje en omgeving.

Superspannend en goed geschreven.
M.

The adventurous race of a young boy, a genius with a prodigious memory, throughout occupied France during WWII, as he tries to escape the clutches of the III Reich.

An engaging chess game between two intelligent, worthy opponents. Characters that just win one over. And some truly powerful scenes that stay in one’s mind forever.

As it often happens, the film adaptation didn’t do it justice.
NuHunni
i must say this is not the everyday book that i usually read, cos i have gone a bit out of my comfort zone and tryed a new one. i guess that term can be applied to books right?? 'out of the comfort zone'? does anyone else think so? i mean for myself i like to read the same kind of genre, same kinda books, which i will read comfortably and pretty fast. with this book, its different for me, im only at the very beginning, the first few pages and to be honest not liking it much because its a drag. b ...more
Mara Escorcia
Intrigante y conmovedor. Un niño genio, la segunda guerra mundial y una lucha interna sentimental hace de este uno de mis libros favoritos.
Tom Wouters
Onwijs spannend, slim en goed geschreven, hetgeen de titel soms niet laat vermoeden. Jammer, prachtig boek.
Kaethe
A wonderful sort of fantasy, where one clever boy outwits the Nazis.Yay!
Jeff Crosby
An enjoyable thriller which does not long remain in your mind.
Kenneth Burr
I need to reread this book. It is lost in the haze of time.
Vvalerie
One of the best written thriller out there
Albert Dunn
Dec 09, 2014 Albert Dunn marked it as to-read
i haven't finished it
Aurora
Okay, I haven't read this book in about 10 years, but I LOVED it! It was one of the best suspense stories that I have ever read!

I can't remember many details, except that it is the story of young man who supposedly has stored in his mind complicated codes to Swiss bank accounts. The nazis want this information, and if I remember right, the boy is unaware that he may have the key to this information.

This book is difficult to find. If you do get your hands on a copy, though, it is so well worth
  • The Pale House (Gregor Reinhardt #2)
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • Pavel & I
  • Children of Wrath
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • The Revolt Of Gunner Asch
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Shadow and Light (Berlin Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sands Of Sakkara
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • Blood of the Reich
  • 27
  • A Night of Long Knives (Hannah Vogel, #2)
  • The Summer of Long Knives
  • The Gospel of Judas: A Novel
Jaguar Le grand silence The Angkor Massacre: A Novel Jaraï Les cavaliers aux yeux verts