Start by marking “Shakespeare My Butt!: Marsupial Elvis To No Place ... Ramblings, Meanderings, Digressions... And A Dog” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A tale of a year in the life of a serial 'pointless project' addict. It contains witty recollections of military service and unorthodox observations on life. It lets us ramble, meander and digress away, discovering non-barking dogs, the secret of excess and places that don't exist.
Published July 4th 2008 by Matador (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare My Butt!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare My Butt!

Sheryl Browne
Apr 29, 2015 Sheryl Browne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shakespeare My Butt I’ve been neglecting a few things. Personally, I blame John Donoghue. If you doubt how distracting the antics of a front line police officer with a wicked sense of humour can be, check out his reviews. Literally hundreds of people can’t be wrong. Better still, check out Police, Crime & 999 and Police, Lies and Alibis. Both of these books had me crying with laughter. Being a dog-lover and foster mum to a straggle of odd dogs with disabilities ranging from blindness and spi ...more
Trevor
Jul 26, 2014 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one.

It focuses very much on John getting his dog, Barney, which you've read his previous books (Police, Crime and 999 & Police, Lies and Alibis) you'll know all about.

There are parts of the book where he discusses his family, some have great nicknames, and there's quite a lot about his young daughter - again, it's all good fun, excellent humour and you'll love the "alternative" calendar he sets out to create within the book.

John has told me on Twitter he is writing a new
Joy Stephenson
Feb 20, 2013 Joy Stephenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have seen this book compared to Bill Bryson's and that strikes me as being an accurate way of describing its style. It's a collection of personal anecdotes ranging widely from the author's childhood, to his time in the forces, to expeditions around the North East of England and South Wales. The thread that runs right through the book is the author's acquisition and training of a Labrador puppy. I loved the way he started with lists of rules and by the end obviously adores his doggy companion.
T
Hayley Edwards
Mar 09, 2015 Hayley Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Must read for anyone that Loves a good Giggle. It took me back to my childhood in parts and made me Laugh(which isn't an easy thing to do, with my weird or lacking sense of humor). I WILL be rereading this book and recommending it to everyone. I will say though Do Not read while eating or drinking cos ya just may choke yaselves.
Tinder
Dec 20, 2009 Tinder rated it really liked it
I think I liked this book becuase I once lived in the North East and I now live in South Wales near the forest of Dean and Wye valley. So I could appreciate it more. It's not THAT funny but did tickle me in parts. Worth a read if you are from the NE atleast!
Sunnie
Jun 27, 2013 Sunnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light humorous read. Brain candy

The trials and tribulations of being a first dog owner with entertaining meanders through the author's life with LOTS of bad jokes, which I found funny. Just the thing if you fancy a giggle.
Kelly
This had been compared to Marley and Me,which I really liked. I didn't think this was as cute, funny, or good, though. Part of this could be due to the British humor - the local references were lost on me!
Lindsay Stone
Lindsay Stone is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
Hazel Childs
Hazel Childs rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Daniel Strangward
Daniel Strangward rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Lisa Blain
Lisa Blain rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Vic
Vic added it
Jan 10, 2016
Georgina Chapman
Georgina Chapman rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Amanda Box
Amanda Box rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Mouse
Mouse rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Pete Coughtrie
Pete Coughtrie rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2015
Lorna Gauthier
Lorna Gauthier rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Jason Davies
Jason Davies marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Julie Haigh
Julie Haigh marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Karen Greaves
Karen Greaves rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Jean MacLeod
Jean MacLeod marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Karen Manning
Karen Manning rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
M.J. Penny
M.J. Penny marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Sarah Benson
Sarah Benson rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Alexandra Motley
Alexandra Motley rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
I never set out to be a writer… I wanted to be a sailor… and a soldier… and a policeman...so that's what I did.

I've travelled the world serving in the Royal Navy and then the British Army. When I left, I joined the police where I'm still a serving officer.

I soon found out in my varied careers that FACT is stranger then FICTION. I'd come across so many funny, bizarre and interesting tales that I f
More about John Donoghue...

“The British Army Journal in February 1949 offered the following helpful advice - ‘The best defence against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off’. Really? Is it really??” 0 likes