Start by marking “Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune” as Want to Read:

Have a small patch of soil? Or just a window box? Not a problem. Garden Anywhere shows how anyone can create an oasis in the smallest of spaces. We're not talking just a simple pot of marigolds, here. Garden Anywhere outlines everything an aspiring gardener needs to know to sow a bounteous, thriving garden. Alys Fowler, trained at the New York Botanical Garden, guides read ...more
Published March 25th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Garden Anywhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden Anywhere

jess
May 03, 2011 jess rated it did not like it
Shelves: growing, 2011
I do not prefer this book. It is supposed to be about small space gardening on a budget, which is great and important to me, so I thought I would like it. But I did not.

I thought this book could benefit from better organization and more information about indoor growing (small space gardeners gotta use every inch). Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting is a much better resource for someone interested in small space food pr
Melissa
Apr 03, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Can you give half stars? I rate this 3.5

This book has great pictures-- Fowler looks like a kind of kitschy-cool youngish person who unexpectedly gardens in fun looking clothes-- it is a great book for inspiration but it is by no means any sort of encyclopedic guide to container gardening (not that I guess it expressly claims to be) (I didn't buy it-- sorry Tattered Cover-- I sat cross legged on your floor and read portions-- it is very skim-able-- and concluded it wasn't worth the $24.95 + tax
Jen
Oct 09, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful pictures, interesting ideas, but I was still a little disappointed with this book. I was expecting a lot more tips on how to garden within small means like an apartment, but only a few pages were dedicated to growing things indoors.
Elevate Difference
Oct 06, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it it was amazing
Alys Fowler is British. Her book, The Thrifty Gardener, has been a hit in England. Garden Anywhere, the re-titled North American version, deserves the same success in Canada and the U.S. as it has across the pond.

Fowler started gardening as a teenager. Now roughly 30, she goes against the grain of British gardening—or so it seems. Her sartorial look—given to shades, plimsolls without socks, and a print shift that a First Nations artist might have designed—is somewhat neo-hippie. A shot or two of
Justin
Feb 10, 2017 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
This book has a great section on propagating. Other than that it is a little to spread thin to be useful enough for me.
Lindsay
Apr 28, 2010 Lindsay rated it really liked it
My apartment is possibly one of the most inhospitable of environments for raising plants at all--north-facing; vegetation-loving cats; a small, recessed back stairwell shared with three other apartments. But this book made me feel like I could at least start somewhere. Fowler provides a terrific overview for the basics of starting small, manageable gardens and creating a sustainable work ethic. She covers a lot of area and leaves you informed enough to understand what kind of further information ...more
Fostergrants
Feb 10, 2010 Fostergrants rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
I picked this up on a trip to San Francisco because I fell in love with the images. This adorable hippie/gnome running around the garden with her wild strawberry blond hair sticking out and dirt under her fingernails. A woman after my own heart. After reading the book, I can say I'm happy I bought it and will be using it as constant reference from now on. Her frugality appeals to me: she uses junk like nobody's business and nothing goes to waste. There are instructions for making compost tea out ...more
Stacy
Jul 30, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
I think of this author as the Jamie Oliver of gardening - her pictures show her to be a hipster looking chick who knows her stuff when it comes to frugal gardening. She has cool tips on how to brew your own compost tea from comfrey and nettle plants, how to get cheap/green materials for raised beds or container gardening, and how to grow plants from grocery store leftovers like past due chickpeas or lemon seeds. It's a motivating read with lots of helpful, if a bit random, tips. It's not an ency ...more
Nov 28, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
This book is really cool and inspiring. It focuses on gardening for those of us who are never going to hire a gardener: making do in rental spaces, community gardens, container gardening on your balcony without looking like a hobo...Lots of great upcycling and DIY suggestions. That said, I probably would have only given it four stars because it kind of made me feel like gardening skills are beyond me (which might be true). HOWEVER, the author earned an extra star when she referred to compost pil ...more
Aja Marsh
many gardening books make me feel dumb because they make it really complicated with plans and all of that. thought this was a really nice book-- she covered things in a mostly (realistic) way that makes sense for first timers and for people with limited space, not a lot of money, and with varying growing conditions--with lots of practical examples and lovely photos. would look at this again for a reference.
Kelly
Jul 18, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
I thought this would be a little cute and puffy--you know, how to grow basil in an olive oil can, that sort of thing. Actually, Alys Fowler covers a lot of ground (ahem) here, addressing propagation, soil maintenance, pest control, seed gathering, and many other useful topics in an engaging and approachable way. And the book is pretty to look at. So, surprisingly, I enjoyed this book (and learned) much more than I expected.
Gita
Aug 01, 2010 Gita rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and will keep it on the shelves as a reference book. Her hands-on and utilitarian approach helped me to approach my garden with a broader perspective and greater willingness to experiment. With her advice, I've found great bargains at places I might not have explored, and begun to compost my kitchen scraps. The photos are lovely and inspirational while still maintaining a "real" feel; unlike the extreme perfection so often displayed in gardening books.
Hoan
Feb 26, 2011 Hoan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I ABSOLUTELY love this book! It is one the most helpful and resourceful books about gardening, whether you live in the city or country. She details variations of herbs, flower, vegetables, composting, unique containers, good soil mixtures, and suggestions for superior planting conditions. Beautiful and artsy pictures coincide with earthy toned pages. A perfect gardening book to enjoy on a bright sunny day. This is a very inspirational gardening book!
Maureen
May 15, 2013 Maureen rated it liked it
I'm a beginning gardener, and I thought this book was a light and lighthearted introduction to gardening in the types of small spaces I'll be working with. Yes, all the photos of the author felt more than a little self-indulgent, and no, I still have no idea what I'm doing. But it was a nice push to get started, and made for good airplane reading.
Matty
Dec 10, 2009 Matty rated it really liked it
Good introduction to all kinds of gardening and garden-like activities. Fowler incorporates great fun/interesting/cheap/green tips. Provides a lot of good ideas, and even pictures to help to explain herself more clearly. She doesn't really get too in depth about any gardening subject. Quick easy read, and a great book to flip through.
Leif
Dec 31, 2010 Leif rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book with gorgeous photos, written with just enough encouragement to help get you outside to try some of the gardening ideas. Fowler does a great job of pointing out the path to local sources of wisdom without coming off as bossy or know-it-all. Also, any book that makes dumpster diving more approachable is a good one.
Elizabeth
Jun 17, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Hip and informative book for ALL types of gardeners. There is something in this book for everyone- pretty pictures, good ideas, and countless great tips on gardening in small spaces.

AND the personal narrative style works well, too.
Bendte
Nov 27, 2010 Bendte rated it liked it
This is a beautiful book. The color photographs are wonderful as is the page design. For some reason, I just couldn't get into the actual book though. I found myself falling asleep and having to re-read sections quite a bit. I think I'll give this one another try some time.
Elizabeth
Dec 27, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book made me feel like I actually COULD be an adorable urban gardening hipster.

Lots of good information, building plans, and practical advice for making anything from a kitchen windowsill to a community garden plot work. I really can't wait to get out and dig in!
Heidi
Aug 23, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it
There were some excellent ideas in the book--especially for someone trying to be frugal. I would like to follow up with the following seed companies: www.heirloomseeds.com, www.rareseeds.com, www.johnnyseeds.com
Kristine
Jun 19, 2011 Kristine rated it it was amazing
love this book! especially since i'm currently growing my first raised gardens. the book has thick pages filled with beautiful photographs and alys fowler brings great insight into simple, practical gardening.
adam
Oct 08, 2009 adam rated it really liked it
Simple, quick read. Well thought out info for audience: young people getting into gardening without a lot of space or money (talks about container gardening, windowsill gardening, dumpster diving). Awesome pictures (both of plants and her outfits).
Brian Sobolak
Dec 19, 2009 Brian Sobolak rated it really liked it
A really easy guide to getting started with gardening without a lot of fuss. It reminds you of the simple joy we all feel from watching something sprout. Great advice for indoor houseplants or outdoor gardens.
Jaime David
Sep 08, 2009 Jaime David rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring. Great info and tips, topped off with beautiful photography.
Deborah
Mar 03, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
Great now I want to buy. Thanks for being awesome book.... thanks a lot! :P
Jen
Jun 25, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Beautiful photography. TONS of info for gardens of all types. Very easy read, even for novices. I got my copy from the library, but am seriously considering buying my own copy to have on hand.
Mia
Apr 03, 2009 Mia rated it really liked it
Oh deliciousness. Presently, in my raised beds and containers: rhubarb, beans, zucchini, basil, wild iris, carrots, lavender... I'd like to garden all day.
Melissa
Jul 16, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I consider myself an experienced but lazy gardener- this book really has me on fire to rework/renew my garden.
Dana Kilbride
Mar 25, 2014 Dana Kilbride rated it really liked it
Loved it! This book definitely exacerbated my early spring garden-fever.
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden: Creative Gardening for the Adventurous Cook
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • On Guerrilla Gardening: The Why, What, and How of Cultivating Neglected Public Space
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • The City Homesteader: Self-Sufficiency on Any Square Footage
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
  • A Modern Herbal
Alys Fowler is a gardener who loves food. She has an allotment and an urban back garden with two chickens, lots of flowers and plenty of vegetables. She is author of several books and writes a weekly column on gardening for the Guardian.
More about Alys Fowler...