The Warlord's Daughter (Borderlands, #2)

The Warlord's Daughter (Borderlands #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this follow-up to Moonstruck, the war is over, but Wren's life is in tatters. She's the most wanted woman in the galaxy--and as the only living offspring of the notorious Drakken Warlord, her genes could very well start a new dynasty of terror. And the Coalition can't have that. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Harlequin Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Warlord's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warlord's Daughter

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsGrimspace by Ann Aguirre
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
146th out of 757 books — 943 voters
Hers to Command by Patricia A. KnightGhost in the Machine by C.E. KilgoreLight of Kaska by Michelle O'LearyFinders Keepers by Linnea SinclairGames of Command by Linnea Sinclair
Love Among the Stars-SciFi Romance
86th out of 197 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
"The Warlord's Daughter" by Susan Grant is a futuristic, intergalactic, paranormal romance that's book two in a spin-off series from her 'Otherworldly Men' books. Without having read the other books in the series, I was a bit confused at times regarding repeat characters from earlier stories, but it didn't impact my enjoyment too much. I found this book to be a fairly quick and entertaining read, but would really classify it as more s/f with romance than anything else.

The war is finally over aft...more
Laz the Sailor
This is book 2 in a well-developed universe that is trying to recover from a devastating war (book 1). I read the first book a while ago. The author does a good job with plot, descriptions and characters, though there are some minor editing oddities. The adventure is exciting and has tension, though not the intense "we're all gonna die" type.

The romantic elements are typical of this author. Three couples are interwoven into the story - they are also interlinked. There were some good build-ups: "...more
Tara van Beurden
More love! This one was a bit different from the others. Only one major sex scene, and a lot more spaceship fun. It follows several stories, eventually converging into two seperate stories and then into one. One follows Wren, the Warlord's neglected Daughter as she tries to stay alive in the new, unified universe that just happens to want her dead for her father's sins. Another story follows Aral, one of the Warlord's battlelords who turned spy and single-handedly brought down the Warlord. Then...more
Gmc
The Warlord's Daughter - Borderlands, Bk 2 by Susan Grant

Awrenkka "Wren" daughter of Supreme Warlord of the Drakken Horde is on the run from the Coalition that has a price on her head, the Loyalist that would us her to rebuild the "Horde". Her father and half brother where killed after they kidnapped the Queen, and touched of a revolution inside the horde. Somebody of their blood has to pay for the crime. She possess the key to the treasure only she can open.

Aral Mawndarr son of Battle Lord Kard...more
Cindy
Good read. You spent your life hidden away on a remote planet, half-blind and ignored by your father. Then it turns out your father was the poster boy for the Evil Warlord's Society and with his death everybody wants a piece of you. Some want you dead, some want you as a figurehead and some want you to legitimize a claim to the throne. And with a 50 million credit bounty on your head, half the galaxy wants to capture you. What's a girl to do?

You spent your life as a double-agent with the sole go...more
Carolyn F.
I liked "Moonstruck" but I loved this book. Wren, the warlord's daughter, is raised away from him. She's quiet, small, with glasses that most people don't have anymore but her father never got around to getting her eyes fixed. At 13 she's to be brought before her father. She's scared and looking around at all the men her father might choose for a husband and sees Aral, a Drakkar commander's son. Their eyes meet and something flashes between them. Neither forgot. When her father is assassinated,...more
Barbara ★
Not my kind of book but enjoyable just the same (I picked it up because I like Susan Grant's romances). Intergallactic warfare and warlords galore. I liked Wren though she was innocent, naive and sheltered from the atrocities of her warlord (king) father.

Aral, also a warlords child, was physically abused by his father and turned traitor to rescue the planet from the constant warring. Aral vowed to rescue Wren from her father's tyrany and sparks flew when he actually gets the chance. Wren and Ara...more
Borderstar
Enjoyable, but disappointing as it could have been a lot better. The concept was pretty good but I didn't think it was written very well, which was a shame as I really liked the first book in the series and don't remember there being the kind of sloppy writing in that one...

Many things didn't really seem realistic or make sense, such as the way the H/H just were automatically in love pretty much and accpeting of each other was odd...

...and a few times through the book I actually checked back to...more
Dayna Smith
The second "Tale of the Borderlands" takes us back to the struggle for peace between the Coalition and the Drakken. The war is over, but peace is hardly a sure thing. Wren is the only living child of the evil Drakken Warlord, and she is the key to a treasure that can heal with galaxy. Both sides are seeking her, but she is tired of being a pawn. Aral is the son of a Drakken Battlelord and a feared Battlelord in his own right. For years he has worked to destroy the Drakken Empire he hates and win...more
Lorri-lynne
I really did enjoy this book. Ms. Grant always delivers a good story.
I marked this particular book down for one reason. The romance of Aral and Wren seems a bit rushed to me.
Part of the reason is that there are two romances going on, and a third budding. Kaylie and Bolivar were a budding romance in Moonstruck, another great story, and their romance fleshes out in this book. But that means that Aral and Wren are sharing their book with the other couple and I felt somewhat cheated on theirs. In ad...more
Nancy
Sweet, young Wren is ripped from her idyllic home and thrust into danger when she becomes the most wanted woman in the galaxy. The only man who can save her is another outlaw, Battlelord Aral Mawndarr. Pledged to each other as husband and wife by proxy years ago, they’ve no time to explore their relationship. As the fledgling alliance called the Triad attempts to take shape, Wren and Aral must race to the legendary planet of Ara Ana to uncover a treasure that will unite them all. But will they f...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
1 1/2 stars. I think I'm just not a space romance kinda gal. I love Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress series, I loved Sherrilyn Kenyon's The league series...in fact this starts out in a "world" similar to the League series. But it falters. It is almost like it was a 400 page book that they cut to 200 pages, but never connected parts. Parts were confusing, parts were annoying, and the viewpoint shifted between unnecessary characters. It was okay. But not for me. The ending was good, if abrupt, but...more
Leslie
I was hoping that the next Susan Grant book would be Hadley and Bolivarr's story (characters from Moonstruck). Luckily I got two stories in one. The main story is for Wren (the aforementioned Warlord's daughter) and Aral, a battlelord her father intended her to marry. But Hadley and Bolivarr are here too and they get "screen-time" so that their story can continue.

It would be best to read Moonstruck first. Otherwise, there might be confusion.
Maria
Although I've loved the other Susan Grant books, this one didn't quite gel for me, possibly because there were so many relationships going on and none of them in any depth. The story was well-paced, on the other hand, but the climax was somewhat anti-climactic in that it was over too quickly after the build-up had the reader dreading the confrontation for almost half the book. It just didn't hold up to all the hype.
Arlene
I have absolutely enjoyed many of Susan Grant's books. Some of them are falling apart because I have read them so many times.

I bought the book in e-format and downloaded it the first day it was available. This book had a lot of potential but fizzled at the end. However, new characters were introducted which I hope to see in future books.
Barbara
I really enjoyed this book, which follows Moonstruck. Both books are loosely tied to Your Planet or Mine, My Favorite Earthling and How to Lose an Extraterrestrial in 10 Days, but set in the Borderlands - the no-man's-land between two mighty civilizations that have just declared peace after a thousand years of war.
Carrie
The book is good, but not great. The main couple aren't as interesting as Hadley and Bolivarr, characters from Moonstruck. Catching up with their relationship was fun.
Anna
I like romance novels and I like science fiction. I judge them by very different standards. Unfortunately, this book didn't have enough romance to hold my interest, and the science fiction wasn't high enough quality that I believed it. It left me feeling apathetic.
Dawn ♥ romance
Sci-fi story that kept my interest but there was only a small amount of romance which didn't even start until middle of the book. Drakken warlords daughter Wren holds a key to treasure. Aral secretly worked for coalition and now that war is over searches for Wren.
Felicia
While the beginning seemed a bit disjointed and the fight at the end was a bit short, I really enjoyed this story. The setting is dark without being fucking miserable, which many authors seem to get stuck in. I would highly recommend reading Moonstruck first, though.
Jane
May 27, 2012 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
As a sequel to the prevuous book, it was a very enjoyable read. I didn't fall for the characters as much as I did with the previous book, but I still loved the plot twists and the romance and another take on the end of the war as described previously.
Susan Macatee
This was a great sequel to Susan Grant's Moonstruck. I thoroughly enjoyed this story about a sheltered girl who had to escape persecution because of her father's deeds.
Read this book mainly for Bolivarr. Really loved his story and enjoyed reading about Aral and Wren.
Wendy
I can relate to the main character's eyesight issues.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Ravensscar
Ravensscar marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • Hope's Folly (Dock Five Universe, #3)
  • Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Countdown
  • The Power of Two (2176, #4)
  • The Shadow Runners (2176 Series, #3)
  • Hidden (Northern Waste, #2)
  • Collision Course (8th Wing #1)
  • Ja-Rael's Lioness
  • Beyond The Shadows (Realms Beyond, #2)
  • Dragon Lord
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • Starkissed
  • The Slayer (Time Raiders #2)
  • Stud (Cat Star Chronicles, #8)
I'm a US Air Force veteran, jet pilot, a RITA award winning, best-selling author, and mom.

If “Dad” were a science fiction story and “Mom” were a romance novel and they had kids, that’s what my books would be, hybrids of two fiction genres, science fiction and romance. I've been combining the two since the late 1990s, before anyone called it sci fi romance and deemed it a "new" niche genre, back w...more
More about Susan Grant...
Moonstruck (Borderlands, #1) Contact The Star King (Star, #1) Your Planet or Mine? (Otherworldly Men #1) The Star Prince (The Star Series, #2)