Abe's Fish: A Boyhood Tale of Abraham Lincoln

Abe's Fish: A Boyhood Tale of Abraham Lincoln

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Here is the perfect book for celebrating Lincoln’s 200th birthday—and a unique way to illuminate our 16th president for today’s young readers. Based on an actual incident that occurred when Lincoln was just a boy, it shows that he, like so many children, wished he were taller (and it came true!); that he had a mischievous streak; that he loved words; and—most important—tha...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Abe's Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe's Fish

N_patricia Brunner
A_Susan
A day in the life of a young Abraham Lincoln is presented. Young Abe wanted to work with his Dad, but wasn’t able to lift the axe. Abe’s mother agreed to let him go fishing to catch a fish for the family dinner. While returning home with his catch, Abe encounters a poor, weary soldier. Abe’s parents and teacher always told him to be good to soldiers as they are fighting for freedom. Young Abe is faced with a moral dilemma of giving the fish to the poor, hungry soldier or bringing it home to his...more
Ellen Ramsey
A story that skillfully connects one event in young Lincoln's life with his accomplishments as President.
Pamela ☼where's my aspirin☼ Tee
This is a beautifully illustrated book that helps provide insight into Abraham Lincoln's childhood. The author portrays young Abe as a thoughtful child who wants to be of help to his family, but who at only 6 years of age, is to small to do the big important chores.

When he finally does find a task that he can excel at --fishing!-- he gives up his prize selflessly to aid another.

I think this would be a good book to use in conjunction with a learning unit about this fascinating president.
Camille
This book tells a story from Lincoln’s childhood about a day spent fishing followed by an encounter with a worn-down solider on the road home. But really the story’s sentiments linger on the early formation of Lincoln’s thoughts on freedom and its pursuit. For older-elementary and middle schoolers to read on their own or for parents to share with their younger ones, followed by a discussion. The author’s notes are very helpful to answer some questions that might come up after reading the book.
Shannon McGee
Interesting little story. I don't know if it's based on any truth, but young Abe Lincoln goes fishing, and on his way home with dinner, he runs into a solider. Out of the kindness of his heart, Abe gives the hungry solider his family's dinner, knowing his family will be proud of him. This tale talks a lot about freedom, and foreshadows Abe's own future with freedom as president. It is a nice story, and I could see it possibly happening in Lincoln's lifetime.
Sam Bloom
My quest to read every children's book about Lincoln published in 2008/09 continues... this one falls squarely into the good/not great camp. I really loved the illustrations, and it's a neat story - young Abraham catched a fish for his poor and hungry family, then gives it to a soldier (this is in 1812) who passes by - but the delivery was a bit too heavy-handed for me. Still, this was an enjoyable read.
Sandy Brehl
Stories of Abe, the boy, abound, but this one casts him at a very young age, too young to lift his Pa's axe even with two hands, still young enough to wish he could be tall. Told with the same subdued tone, quiet pace, and deep thoughtfulness that the illustrations convey. This story makes clear that the adults we become are shaped in our earliest experiences.
Molly
Based on a story that Lincoln use to tell himself it was a really nice story of sharing with those who may need more. Sweet and of course another great Lincoln book. I love all of these books coming out making him seem human and yet so much more like a tall tale. Grades K+
Marilyn
Great story based on his autobiography. I love the back where it tells the historical details and gives a bibliography of other books to read. I didn't know before that he was shot 5 days after the war ended. Just saw Robert Redford's The Conspirator. Great film.
Ashlyn
Jen is a Gettysburg graduate and I bought this for my kids for Valentine's Day/Lincoln's birthday. I really like it and the illustrations are great. The material in the back (author's note) was perfect for my 9 year old daughter.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Nice story, fetching illustrations. It made me want to read more about Lincoln's boyhood. The historical/biographical details at the end were most welcome. Recommended.
Jon
Jon added it
Aug 18, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Joe Giles
Joe Giles marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Dec 14, 2013
Sarika Mehra
Sarika Mehra marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Cece
Cece added it
Sep 01, 2013
Danica Midlil
Danica Midlil marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2013
Candy
Candy added it
Nov 21, 2012
Jen Bryant writes picture books, novels and poems for readers of all ages. Her biographical picture book: A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, illustrated by Melissa Sweet,received a Caldecott Honor award and her historical novel in verse RINGSIDE 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial is an Oprah Recommended Book for ages 12 & up. Other titles include Pieces of Georgia (IRA Youn...more
More about Jennifer Fisher Bryant...
A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams Pieces of Georgia Kaleidoscope Eyes The Trial Ringside, 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial