Start by marking “Abe's Fish: A Boyhood Tale of Abraham Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Abe's Fish: A Boyhood Tale of Abraham Lincoln

Abe's Fish: A Boyhood Tale of Abraham Lincoln

Here is the perfect book for celebrating Lincoln’s 200th birthday—and a unique way to illuminate our 16th president for today’s young readers. Based on an actual incident that occurred when Lincoln was just a boy, it shows that he, like so many children, wished he were taller (and it came true!); that he had a mischievous streak; that he loved words; and—most importan

Published February 3rd 2009 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Abe's Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe's Fish

N_patricia Brunner
Oct 29, 2010 N_patricia Brunner rated it really liked it
A_Susan
May 27, 2012 A_Susan rated it really liked it
A day in the life of a young Abraham Lincoln is presented. Young Abe wanted to work with his Dad, but wasn’t able to lift the axe. Abe’s mother agreed to let him go fishing to catch a fish for the family dinner. While returning home with his catch, Abe encounters a poor, weary soldier. Abe’s parents and teacher always told him to be good to soldiers as they are fighting for freedom. Young Abe is faced with a moral dilemma of giving the fish to the poor, hungry soldier or bringing it home to his ...more
Sam Bloom
My quest to read every children's book about Lincoln published in 2008/09 continues... this one falls squarely into the good/not great camp. I really loved the illustrations, and it's a neat story - young Abraham catched a fish for his poor and hungry family, then gives it to a soldier (this is in 1812) who passes by - but the delivery was a bit too heavy-handed for me. Still, this was an enjoyable read.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
This is a beautifully illustrated book that helps provide insight into Abraham Lincoln's childhood. The author portrays young Abe as a thoughtful child who wants to be of help to his family, but who at only 6 years of age, is to small to do the big important chores.

When he finally does find a task that he can excel at --fishing!-- he gives up his prize selflessly to aid another.

I think this would be a good book to use in conjunction with a learning unit about this fascinating president.
Shannon McGee
Apr 12, 2009 Shannon McGee rated it liked it
Interesting little story. I don't know if it's based on any truth, but young Abe Lincoln goes fishing, and on his way home with dinner, he runs into a solider. Out of the kindness of his heart, Abe gives the hungry solider his family's dinner, knowing his family will be proud of him. This tale talks a lot about freedom, and foreshadows Abe's own future with freedom as president. It is a nice story, and I could see it possibly happening in Lincoln's lifetime.
Camille
This book tells a story from Lincoln’s childhood about a day spent fishing followed by an encounter with a worn-down solider on the road home. But really the story’s sentiments linger on the early formation of Lincoln’s thoughts on freedom and its pursuit. For older-elementary and middle schoolers to read on their own or for parents to share with their younger ones, followed by a discussion. The author’s notes are very helpful to answer some questions that might come up after reading the book.
Kristina Silverbears
Oct 04, 2014 Kristina Silverbears rated it it was amazing
Shelves: babies, 2ndgrade
A lovely moral story about Abraham Lincoln, which I would recommend for ages 5-8. Although there is some foreshadowing regarding Lincoln's interest in freedom, this book could be used to discuss the morals of giving to those in need, or the good Samaritan story. Awesome, rustic illustrations throughout. Not too wordy for an easy read aloud.
Sandy Brehl
Stories of Abe, the boy, abound, but this one casts him at a very young age, too young to lift his Pa's axe even with two hands, still young enough to wish he could be tall. Told with the same subdued tone, quiet pace, and deep thoughtfulness that the illustrations convey. This story makes clear that the adults we become are shaped in our earliest experiences.
Marilyn
Aug 25, 2011 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great story based on his autobiography. I love the back where it tells the historical details and gives a bibliography of other books to read. I didn't know before that he was shot 5 days after the war ended. Just saw Robert Redford's The Conspirator. Great film.
Molly
Based on a story that Lincoln use to tell himself it was a really nice story of sharing with those who may need more. Sweet and of course another great Lincoln book. I love all of these books coming out making him seem human and yet so much more like a tall tale. Grades K+
Ashlyn
Feb 27, 2009 Ashlyn rated it really liked it
Jen is a Gettysburg graduate and I bought this for my kids for Valentine's Day/Lincoln's birthday. I really like it and the illustrations are great. The material in the back (author's note) was perfect for my 9 year old daughter.
Ellen Ramsey
Apr 18, 2014 Ellen Ramsey rated it it was amazing
A story that skillfully connects one event in young Lincoln's life with his accomplishments as President.
Megan Tollefson
Oct 22, 2014 Megan Tollefson rated it really liked it
2009 - Historical Fiction - This story follows Abe Lincoln as a young, contemplative, and motivated boy. It shares encounters from Abe's childhood before he became the president.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Nice story, fetching illustrations. It made me want to read more about Lincoln's boyhood. The historical/biographical details at the end were most welcome. Recommended.
Sebi
Sebi rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Lea Lea
Lea Lea rated it did not like it
May 14, 2014
Sarah Kat
Sarah Kat rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Margaret Chind
Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Ellie
Ellie rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
April
April rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Jenson & Remy
Jenson & Remy rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Nicole
Apr 17, 2017 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book has lovely and simple illustrations. So many books are written about Abraham Lincoln during his presidency and his later life. This was refreshing to hear a tale of his childhood. My son, who is a huge Abraham Lincoln fan loved it!!
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2009
Missy
Missy rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Ehimaya
Ehimaya rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Jen Bryant writes picture books, novels and poems for readers of all ages. Her biographical picture book: A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, illustrated by Melissa Sweet,received a Caldecott Honor award and her historical novel in verse RINGSIDE 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial is an Oprah Recommended Book for ages 12 & up. Other titles include Pieces of Georgia (IRA Youn ...more
More about Jennifer Fisher Bryant...