Start by marking “Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)” as Want to Read:
Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)

Crisis Four (Nick Stone #2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  2,076 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Crisis Four is Andy McNab's fourth book and his second work of fiction, but he has already established himself as a brand name. His trademark is the SAS and dirty operations, so it will come as no surprise to anyone that the hero, Nick Stone, is a hard but fair ex-SAS man, now working for 250 per day as a freelance agent for British Intelligence on undercover missions whic ...more
Published August 22nd 2000 by Corgi Adult (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Crisis Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crisis Four

Toni Osborne
Feb 15, 2014 Toni Osborne rated it liked it
Book 2, in the Nick Stone series

This series follows Nick Stone a very clever, ruthless and effective EX-SAS trooper hired by the British Intelligence on the most dangerous operations. In this mission he is tasked with finding and eliminating one of their operatives, Sarah Darnley.

Reading this book we have to keep in mind that it was written prior 9/11. This is a story filled with lots of action and suspense as well as death and betrayal.

A glimpse into the story:

Nick hunts Sarah down in the wil
Vladimir Ivanov
Nov 11, 2016 Vladimir Ivanov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Прочел вторую книжку Макнаба про "черного оператора" Ника Стоуна — намного лучше первой! Первые сто страниц все равно претерпеваешь обстоятельный отчет о том, какую куртку он купил и сколько минул ел свой гамбургер. Зато потом начинается БЕЗОСТАНОВОЧНЫЙ экшен, практически уже без остановки до самого конца книги. В своих попытках найти беглого британского агента Ник ставит на уши все США, от лесного захолустья Северной Каролины и аж до самого Белого дома.

Очень удачно соблюдается баланс между реал
Kelanth
Jan 25, 2016 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
"Crisi quattro" è un romanzo di azione/spionistico di Andy McNab, che è uno scrittore e militare britannico, pseudonimo dietro il quale si nasconde un ex-sergente dello Special Air Service (i corpi speciali dell'esercito britannico), noto al grande pubblico come autore di romanzi di spionaggio. Questo romanzo è del 1997, e fa appunto parte della serie "Nick Stone": in particolare questo è il secondo romanzo della serie.

L'autore è anche un saggista e nei suoi romanzi che non sono di finzione desc
Maddy
May 31, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2000-reads
October, 1995, and the counter-intelligence force originating out of the UK is infiltrating Syria to gain data on what Osama Bin Laden, a Saudi multimillionaire turned terrorist, is up to. The task is to lift Bin Laden's right-hand man, "The Source" from a designated site. There's a team of agents led by a woman named Sarah Greenwood. Nick Stone's only job is to get Sarah out of the endeavor alive. This becomes extremely difficult when she begins to play by a different script than is provided to ...more
Pete Marchetto
Jan 06, 2016 Pete Marchetto rated it really liked it
After Remote Control, the first of McNab's 'Nick Stone' novels, I wasted little time getting hold of the second. Crisis Four gets marked down a star on a technicality - the plot didn't quite ring true in Stone being given his assignment in the first place, let alone the ease with which he accomplished the first part of it - and, indeed, much of the plot at the end rather depended upon him being the wrong person for the job. Still, I found it as much a pleasure to read as the first for all that.

I
Anthony
Oct 28, 2012 Anthony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This is the second novel in the Nick Stone series by Andy McNab. Even after the first novel, I had a little difficulty getting into the book. What was different about this series is that it's in the first person and not in the third. I'm not quite used to that from the various thrillers that I have read in my "library" of novels. I wouldn't say that this is my favourite series, but I'm still willing to continue on reading the novels as there is now fourteen in total.

Brief background on Nick Ston
Kristina Chalmain
Dec 25, 2013 Kristina Chalmain rated it really liked it
Andy McNab is definitely my new favourite in the genre action thrillers - move over Lee Child! This second installment of the Nick Stone series is brilliant - a mixture of physical action, patient puzzling, and a sense of humour that I really like! And a great sense of verisimilitude (for instance, what DO you do when you have to go to the bathroom when stuck in a snug surveillance hideout?). And I'm dying to know if the quip about the ties of the US Secret Service agents is true! :)

Nick Stone i
Graham
Dec 20, 2008 Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, favourites
McNab’s second book in his long-running Nick Stone series (now up to seven books) and it’s a cracker. Stone, armed with only his trusty Baby G and his Leatherman, must find and kill a renegade agent on behalf of the British services.

The plot is complex but effortlessly readable, and the book is basically one big chase with wraparounds at beginning and end. It’s almost impossible to make a chase non-exciting and McNab is more than willing to share with the reader all of his survival and combat s
Marius van Blerck
May 17, 2009 Marius van Blerck rated it really liked it
As I mentioned in relation to Remote Control (Book 1 in the Nick Stone series), most good espionage thrillers are written by Americans, and this might cause us to forget that the British pretty much invented the genre, with John Buchan, Graham Greene and Ian Fleming among the most prominent pioneers. Andy McNab is now a member of this British group, and he does a rather fine job. His style might not suit all, being politically incorrect and saturated with profanity. His approach to violence is ...more
Big Shell
Jul 18, 2012 Big Shell rated it it was amazing
While I wouldn't go as far as to call a 1999 book in which the Big Bad is Osama Bin Ladin as "prophetic", it is one of the indicators that McNab knows what he's talking about.

And this isn't even why I love this book.

McNab understands people. I have rarely felt as in sync with the way a character functions as I felt with Nick Stone, even though on the surface I am nothing like Stone whatsoever. There's something universal about being human, the uncertainty, the duty, the fear and the drive to s
David
May 26, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crisis Four is another good Nick Stone novel. It's the second in the series and is a marked improvement over the first. As in Remote Control, McNab shows you the trade craft of the deniable operator. Lots of detail on how to evade people in the wilderness and the proper way to create a hide (a place from which to do surveillance on a target) with excruciating details on what to do when nature calls.

There's also a plot involving terrorists which takes Stone to the Whitehouse. Good follow up to R
Terry
Apr 16, 2016 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The great thing about Andy McNab is his no nonsense approach to story telling. If someone needs to receive the 'good news' then Nick Stone is going to give it out without any tip toeing around the issues.

Crisis Four is McNabs forth book and second novel, the first two being autobiographies. In this second adventure we find ex-SAS deniable operative, a K (think James Bond meets Mission Impossible), Nick Stone back in Washington DC on the trail of an embassy official gone rogue. He's orders are to
Brendan
This book took me a while to get into. I left it for a while and finally got back to it a week ago. The storyline is brilliant, Stone has to hunt down an ex lover. You are introduced to her in the first chapter and you already start to dislike her. McNab later makes you start to like her, and think that she is a good person for Stone. I won't say anymore as it ruins the ending as this book's second half focuses mainly on their relationship which isn't all birds and bees since neither of them are ...more
LionAroundWriting
May 10, 2016 LionAroundWriting rated it liked it
To begin with, it takes 200 pages for anything interesting to happen. Only once Nick is on the run does the writing, pace and story kick up a gear, mainly because the writing is authentic due to McNabs real world experiences.
Some great descriptions here and there, but the pace was never high octane, and frequently over elaborate in establishing a scene or character. The ending was predictable too.
Doesn't sound great does it? Well, for all the faults there was enough to make it readable, I just w
Mark Easter

He was ordered to track down a rogue colleague. Now British Intelligence agent Nick Stone and "runner" (and former lover) Sarah Greenwood have become the hunted, racing deeper into a dark, deadly conspiracy that will change the course of world events - and the lives of millions.With seventeen years of active service in the elite SAS force, Andy McNab writes from his own harrowing experiences. Packed with authentic procedural details, as relentless as a fast-burning fuse, Crisis Four is a thrille

Oct 24, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swedish, adventure, sas
I thought I knew what type of character Nick Stone would be, but I actually kind of liked him.
It could very easily have gotten too stereotypical, macho male lead, damsel in distress/kick-ass female that the macho male lead falls in love with. It was a little bit of each, with emphasis on "little". It wasn't too bad.
There was however A LOT of details, and I assume McNab added those to show that "yes, I have done this, several times" and that his former job was NOT easy, if I ever thought any such
Ed
Mar 16, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#2 in the Nick Stone series. Author McNab, highly decorated by the British military, has written a series about a nebulous British agent of mystery.

Nick Stone - recorded - is sent to the U.S. to track down and kill Sarah. He and Sarah had worked together on an operation in Syria years before to kidnap a foreign agent. Now Sarah, a Mid-East specialist, stands accused of running off with a Mid-East group with unknown intentions. When Nick finds her, she convinces him to help her thwart a major plo
Marti
Apr 05, 2011 Marti rated it really liked it
This was suspenseful with some confusing and static areas. Part of the confusing was probably due to British terminology. First Nick Stone is sent to kill his ex-lover, Sarah Greenwood, but after extricating her from a group of terrorists, they team up to carry out a mission in Washington, DC. Nick is the guardian of the teenage daughter of former colleagues, which also complicates his life. I may look for some more Andy McNab books.
Myrna
Apr 04, 2016 Myrna rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I was reading along and everything was going well until it wasn't. I found the relationship between Nick and Sarah to be totally implausible considering the back story provided by McNab at the start of the book. She completely shut him down, and we are expected to believe three years later he just forgets everything she said and did and can't see she is manipulating him? I don't think so. McNab writes action well but not romance. I'm leaving and won't be coming back.
Trung
Jun 18, 2011 Trung rated it really liked it
In terms of the tradecraft discussed, "Crisis Four" was more about the art of infiltration, surveillance, and adaptability. A decent read, but not one that grabbed me as well as "Remote Control" did. The contents of action is definitely dialed back in this particular one, but still a pretty good narrative. Just complex enough to keep you guessing, but not too complex where you would need to be taking notes regarding who's who. Definitely going to keep reading McNab's work.
Grace
Dec 18, 2011 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the previous book in the series, Remote Control but it was still worth a read. The author puts in so much detail in his writing that for me, it actually doesn't add to the story. I prefer the way Chris Ryan writes because the tale unfolds without the over descriptive detail.
Darren
Sep 12, 2016 Darren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Andy McNab book I've read, and although the crux of the story recounting the mission kept me interested, it took a while to kick in and I didn't really care about the characters' family situation - it just felt a bit like it was bolted on. McNab also took up a whole chapter describing a shopping trip, which again seemed a little excessive.
Sharyn
Feb 12, 2010 Sharyn added it
Not bad, not great either. Picked it up as something easy to read when I fell and needed time of work to recover this week. Keeps you wanting to find out more but I found that I couldn't emphathise with the main character's love interest. It did help me understand the switch between private perosn and trained killer that servicemen must live with on a daily basis.
Gustambro
Jul 17, 2016 Gustambro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-order-2
I really enjoy this series. Mcnab writes really well, keeping the details well explained and giving the reader the sensation of experience the story first hand. Nick Stone is one of these likeable ex military that's not a robot but only human and good at what they do although unlucky at every instance.
Jim Whitefield
Mar 06, 2012 Jim Whitefield rated it it was amazing
This is another brilliant story by Andy McNab, totally entertaining page after page, and is a must read for those who love covert SAS tales. The main character is once again Nick Stone and for continuity of the background stories, if you have not read it, I would recommend reading 'Remote Control', the first novel in the Nick Stone series before this one. The saga continues brilliantly.
Bob
I read this back in 2000, when it was first published in the U.S. Like several of the other books I've read recently, I was just looking for something easy to re-read.

Since I had just re-read Remote Control (the first book in the series), the second novel in this series was a natural choice.
Deb
Jun 28, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing
Excellent follow up to Remote Control. Lots of action, detail and comic relief. The story is sharp and the main characters' humanity is very raw. As a woman, I want to hold his hands, look him in the eyes and tell him that I think he's doing a great job as a human being/killer. Well, someone has to do it!
Mark Jennings
Apr 02, 2016 Mark Jennings rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, however I did see the outcome of the story from an early stage, this didnt lessen my enjoyment of it though, an easy book to read that keeps you wanting to read more.
Throughout the book there was quite a lot of mistakes with spelling on the kindle edition.
John
Apr 09, 2016 John rated it liked it
Perhaps just too much detail in setting some of the scenarios. There were points in the book where the scene description just seemed to go on for several pages and I kept asking did I need all that?
Alison
Mar 14, 2015 Alison rated it it was ok
Note to self: No matter how desperate you are to read a book, do not pick the next one in this series.
  • The Watchman
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...

Nick Stone (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1)
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)
  • Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)