Start by marking “A Nomad of the Time Streams (Eternal Champion, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Nomad of the Time Streams (Eternal Champion, #4)

A Nomad of the Time Streams (Eternal Champion #4)

The Multiverse - universe upon universe of alternate Time and Space in which Law and Chaos wage a continuous struggle to change the fundamental rules of existence.

The Eternal Champion - doomed to live forever in a thousand incarnations. A key player in the Game of Time, Captain Oswald Bastable is forced to question his most cherished ideas as he becomes a nomad of the time
Published March 1st 1997 by White Wolf Publishing (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about A Nomad of the Time Streams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nomad of the Time Streams

Dan Schwent
Mar 29, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moorcock, 2010
Warlord of the Air:
Oswald Bastable is trapped in a cave-in in 1903 and wakes up in 1973, a 1973 with a strong British Empire and it's navy of airships. Oswald struggles to belong and runs afoul of The Warlord of the Air. Can Oswald find his way back to 1903?

As I've said before with Dancers at the End of Time and Gloriana, Moorcock's non-Elric stuff is what enchants me as I get older. Warlord of the Air is a good alternate history novel and is widely regarded as one of the forerunners of steampun
Rhys
Jan 02, 2016 Rhys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read more fiction by Moorcock than by any other writer. I have, in fact, almost read everything he has ever published. The ‘Oswald Bastable’ stories, however, were a gap in my completist aspirations. I bought this omnibus volume back in 1986 when I was 19 and I only got round to reading it this year. It consists of three novels written over a 10 year...period; these novels feature a soldier who is projected into a sequence of alternate Earths after he stumbles into the underground labyrin ...more
Ross Kitson
Mar 09, 2013 Ross Kitson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all speculative fiction authors, Michael Moorcock dominates my TBR list. Part of that is his prolific back catalogue, and part of it is the fact he has written so very much in so many genres. The Nomad of Time, which has recently been re-released in its three original books on Kindle, is a book I have been curious about ever since I started reading the Steampunk genre. The settings it describes, a sequence of alternate timestreams, contain many of the trappings of the genre: airships, emp ...more
Dan Choquette
Mar 13, 2011 Dan Choquette rated it really liked it
The adventures of Oswald Bastable, former british cavalry officer and present reluctant time traveler, as recounted to Moorcock's grandfather. Bastable journeys to alternate versions of 1973, another version of his own 1904, and finally to 1941, always confronting a version of the Apocalypse, sometimes accompanied by fellow time travelers Mrs. Persson and Ulric von Bek.
I read an earlier version of this book, put out by the Sci-Fi Book Club in the mid-eighties. This new version reads much more
Joe Stamber
Mar 22, 2011 Joe Stamber rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-1980s
I couldn't find the edition of this Oswald bastable trilogy that I read, which was called simplt, "The Nomad of Time". I'm asuming that this is a later editon of the trilogy which includes "The Warlord of the Air", "The Land Leviathan" and "The Steel Tsar". I've no idea why it is subtitled "Eternal Champion 4" either, as it has nothing to do with the Eternal Champion series. In keeping with MM's style, it is a series of wacky sci-fi/fantasy tales about a reluctant time traveller with a penchant ...more
B. Jay
Dec 14, 2010 B. Jay rated it really liked it
Moorcock does a wonderful job of fusing turn-of-the-century Victorianism with the genres of fantasy, science-fiction and the sub-genres of time travel and alternate history to produce one of the forefathers of steampunk. The stories of Oswald Bastable's battles are laced with enough political overtones to lend the novels true depth and meaning, but never enough to bore or ostracize readers. Von Bek and the other members of the mysterious League Bastable encounters are kept deliciously in the bac ...more
Adam
Jan 10, 2008 Adam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This edition is a three-book omnibus and I just finished the first novel in the series: The Warlord of the Air. This story is classic Moorcock, for those who've read him. It features Lt. Bastable, a British soldier circa 1902 who is adrift in time and ends up in a 1973 very unlike the one we know. It was fighting dirigibles, faux Victoriana, and more dime-story philosophy than you can shake a stick at. I love it!
Elar
Oct 12, 2016 Elar rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I think Moorcock alternative history cannot reach the heights his fantasy does, I understand how he wants to draw our attention to worldly problems, but it lacks connection with me.
Helmut
Apr 25, 2013 Helmut rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Zeiten im Wandel

Na, es gehört schon etwas Mut dazu, eigentlich zweimal den identischen Roman, nur mit leichter Abwandlung der Geographie, so zu veröffentlichen. Letztlich ist "The Land Leviathan" nämlich sowohl in Struktur als auch Erzählungsweise eine direkte Kopie von "The Warlord of the Air", nur halt mit einem afrikanischen statt einem asiatischen, verkannten Weltveränderer. Der dritte Roman, "The Steel Tsar", passt auch fast in dieses Schema, ist aber ganz klar der deutlichste schwächste de
Simon
Mar 29, 2015 Simon rated it it was ok
Dear God, I was annoyed by this book. So why finish it? Because it reflected the kind of thing I used to do in high school (if I had read it in high school, I would probably be giving it five stars!). Alternate history! The hero, Oswald Bastable (see what Moorcock did with the name?) zips in and out of the multiverse and runs into a variety of different futures and meets a variety of different folk, some of whom are also able to traverse the multiverse (c'mon, that's a decent pun). So Gandhi is ...more
Karen
May 01, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Christopher
Apr 22, 2016 Christopher rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People I dislike extremely
Shelves: fiction
About a third of the way through the last book of the series, the narrator tells the reader that he "pretended to nod" to another character. The time I spent trying to picture what someone "pretending to nod" looks like was far and away the most enjoyable part of the experience of reading A Nomad of the Time Streams.

This book was absolutely awful. I've had a fondness for Moorcock for a long time, but his books never quite seem to meet the promise that the capsule summaries of their plots suggest
Derek
Apr 01, 2015 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it difficult to like. The author inverts many expectations by describing steampunk or proto-steampunk alternate histories before such were trendy or had the appellation (where high technology is driven by steam or where everything has a sort of Victorian style about it) and he deconstructs and reverses belief structures such as racism or imperialism or the nature of socialism.

Unfortunately I found Moorcock's writing to be sparse and insufficient to carry the imagination, and felt at sev
Jamie
Feb 19, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
To quote from another reviewer:

"I couldn't find the edition of this Oswald Bastable trilogy that I read, which was called simply "The Nomad of Time". I'm assuming that this is a later editon of the trilogy which includes "The Warlord of the Air", "The Land Leviathan" and "The Steel Tsar". I've no idea why it is subtitled "Eternal Champion 4" either, as it has nothing to do with the Eternal Champion series."

Having said that, this was fascinating. I read it because Neil Gaiman tweeted that he thou
Steven
Apr 10, 2016 Steven rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, the first book I've read by Moorcock. I enjoy steampunk, and really love the novels of Jules Verne. After all, this book promised dirigibles and time travel, so it had to be good, right?

But I found it hard to care about the characters. The main character, Oswald Bastable, seems to be drifting through all three parts of the book, with things happening to him, rather than him making things happen. The three parts seemed rather repetitive to me. The mysterious organi
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 Jon added it
Actually a collection of three novels. I liked the first one, Warlord of the Air. The second one seemed a bit stretched, although reading about a different version of Gandi was amusing. The third, Steel Tsar, got a little corny towards the end, although there's some cool ideas. (Not radically new, similar to other books I've read that came out of the 70's in fantasy about alternative realities but still good). [return][return]But The Temporal League of Justice, or whatever it is? Kinda hokey. [r ...more
Tamcamry
Mar 02, 2010 Tamcamry rated it really liked it
• I’m really of two minds about this book. On the one hand, the story is very well written and entertaining. It consists of three short stories about the same character, Oswald Bastable. These stories are presented as memoirs or actual events, which in my view makes them all the more entertaining. On the other hand however, this story has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Eternal Champion. Many people may look at this books inclusion into the Eternal Champion series as a blatant attem ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Jul 19, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, historical
More philosophical and less pulpy than the previous volume, it manages to be simultaneously better-crafted and less interesting. While the look at three different ways the twentieth century might have gone differently is a a good conceit, in practice it's rather repetitious and not all that profound, particularly since, in order to have airships, technology had to take a very similar direction in all three.

It's not bad, but it's not my favorite (which honor still belongs to Von Bek, I believe.)
Joel Mitchell
Jan 17, 2016 Joel Mitchell rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
In this Eternal Champion collection, Michael Moorcock explores several alternate histories of twentieth century Europe and Asia. He focuses largely on imperialism and socialist/anarchist revolution. The story-lines themselves are interesting and somewhat thought-provoking, but the overall approach is heavy-handed and preachy, featuring lengthy passages of rambling conversations packed with revolutionary philosophy/rhetoric/sophistry.
Matt
Dec 23, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection of three alternate history novels, that could also be classified as "steampunk" and it's so hard to find good steampunk novels.

The main character of this series is Oswald Bastable, a British Military Officer at the turn of the century who is cursed by a South Asian mystic to witness the destruction of alternates Earths under various racist and imperialist dogmas.

Adam
Oct 20, 2007 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunkery
Told in note perfect Victorian style (evoking Conrad, Verne, and Wells) this book collects three alternate histories that deal with imperialism, racism, and war. All quite grim but still with a sense of adventure. Delights include Mick Jagger as a zeppelin captain, Joseph Conrad as submarine captain, Stalin as a robot, Ronald Reagan as a racist boy scout troop leader, and lots of zany steampunk sci-fi gadgets (airships, drill cars, fungus bombs, giant tanks). Really fun and really smart.
Nick
May 30, 2007 Nick rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people into airships
Shelves: scifi
Another of Moorcock's flights into the alternate history/scientific romance genres, a territory he returns to frequently but where he never really shines. These stories, however, represent some of his best work in the area. Each one is basically a political parable, told in linear fashion with tight narrative economy. The anarcho-collectivist rhetoric never quite reaches a Randian level of preachiness, and is generally compensated for by the presence of cool robots and blimps with cannons.
Markt5660
The 3 stories seemed to have a lot repetition. I liked the variation on his usual multiverse stories but the second and third stories should have had more action around the titular technologies: the land leviathan and mechanical men. Too much about airships. Moorcock's placement of himself and his grandfather into the narrative was clever.
Martha
Mar 15, 2009 Martha rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this set of proto-steampunk novels. Moorcock presents a set of three alternate histories for the 20th century, examining issues such as imperialism, British colonialism, socialism and racism. Very entertaining.
Randolph Carter
Dec 21, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Michael Moorcock, alternate history enthusiasts, steampunk fans
My second favorite book in the Eternal Champion series after Von Bek (volume II). Steam punk/alternate history all the way. Great characters and less silly than some of Moorcock's other Eternal Champion efforts.
Scott Fernandez
Aug 02, 2013 Scott Fernandez rated it it was amazing
Of all the Eternal Champion series this is by far my favorite. A lost soldier falls down a rabbit hole in the Himalayas into an alternate timestream of steampunk airships and intrigue.
Patrik Sahlstrøm
Sep 10, 2015 Patrik Sahlstrøm rated it it was amazing
Superb book, with the ending as the weakest part. Moorcock struggles when he starts on metaphysical philopshy. But still, all in all highly enjoyable and recomended!
Jmot17
Apr 22, 2010 Jmot17 is currently reading it
If your looking for some outdated but intresting science fiction than this book by Michael Moorcocks is worth it.
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Chas
Chas rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • The Time Patrol (Time Patrol, #1-4 omnibus)
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf
  • Swiftly
  • The Hollow Earth
  • Where Time Winds Blow
  • Starchild Trilogy
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • Grandville (Grandville #1)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • Earthclan
  • Pasquale's Angel
  • Ill Met in Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1-2)
  • Nothing Sacred
  • Jack Faust
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Eternal Champion (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Eternal Champion (Eternal Champion, #1)
  • Von Bek (Eternal Champion, #2)
  • Hawkmoon (Eternal Champion, #3)
  • Elric: Song of the Black Sword (Eternal Champion, #5)
  • The Roads Between the Worlds (Eternal Champion, #6)
  • Corum: The Coming of Chaos (Eternal Champion, #7)
  • Sailing to Utopia (Eternal Champion, #8)
  • Kane of Old Mars (Eternal Champion, #9)
  • The Dancers at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #1-3)
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)