Start by marking “The Night of the Dog (Mamur Zapt, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Night of the Dog (Mamur Zapt, #2)

The Night of the Dog (Mamur Zapt #2)

The Mamur Zapt, Head of Cairo’s Secret Police under British rule, did not concern himself with routine police matters. His are the intrigues, the shadowy and sinister events aimed at creating political instability. It is not a welcome time for a command that Captain Owen, the Mamur Zapt, show the niece of an inspecting English MP the sights. Worse, the sights include a dan ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Night of the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night of the Dog

Peggy
"The Mamur Zapt and the Night of the Dog" by Michael Pearce, #2 Mamur Zapt historical mystery series (our library only had this one in the series)

I found this to be an interesting historical mystery set in a time that I'm unfamiliar with (early 1900's Egypt). I enjoyed the author's style of writing, although I found his historical references to be more interesting then the actual mystery. The author is very talented in showing us the differences between British culture and Egyptian culture. At f
LJ
THE MAMUR ZAPT AND THE NIGHT OF THE DOG (Pol. Proc.-Cairo-early 1900s) - VG
Pearce, Michael -2nd in series
A Crime Club Book/Doubleday, 1991- Hardcover
*** Captain Gareth Cadwallader Owen is the Mamur Zapth; head of Cairo’s political CID. When a dead dog is placed at the Coptic tomb and a Moslem Zikr dancer is murdered, it is up to Own to find out who is behind the escalating unrest. At the same time, he much find the money to support his investigation, resolve the marital problems of his office be
Mkb
Dec 07, 2011 Mkb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked the first in the series better because I was very excited about this look into colonial Egypt. The newness of that wore off a little with the second and I was less taken with the story. Perhaps it is the kind of series where it is good to read them one after another so the story just keeps rolling. (It has been a few years since I read the first.) I can certainly say though that I have no interest in being the Mamur Zapt. What a difficult job.

The BEST part of the whole thing was
deb
Sep 08, 2016 deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Very good. Tight writing (with wit!) and great characters.
Titus Burley
Mar 20, 2011 Titus Burley rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed this slice of English Empire life. Pearce people's this series with characters that are the British Empire quirky equivalent of Green Acres. And somehow the Mamur Zapt, somewhat like Oliver Douglas, keeps all these zealots and oddballs in a working balance. Pearce creates a wonderful sense of place with some effective, economical writing. There's a tendency for some writers to beat home with extended prose the exoticness of a foreign locale; Pearce accomplishes this with mini ...more
Alice
Jan 30, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, mystery
Delightful read once you except that it takes place in Egypt under British colonial rule. The mystery is not very intense but that is more than made up for by the description of Egyptian customs, beliefs, and the interplay between Copts, Muslims, and the British. Much better than the first in the series, which was rather slow. Well written.
Shelly
Apr 01, 2015 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pearce is a master at knowing when to show and when to tell. The story never drags because of this. It is also a pleasure to visit Egypt in this time period. You have a real sense of the place and the politics. A thoroughly enjoyable read and I look forward to the next in the series.
Lisa
Dec 22, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
Clearly the last one was fun enough for me to read this one, but they are still only okay (except the setting, which is really delightful)
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
The subtle humor of a Welshman caught between the rule of the English and the governance of the Egyptian police in Edwardian times makes for a very interesting setting and story.
Sally Atwell Williams
Another interesting story by Michael Pearce about the Mamur Zapt and the intrigue going on in Cairo, with the British presence still there.
Jakenv
Sep 07, 2012 Jakenv rated it really liked it
Oldie but goodie in mystery genre. Relative to current events as reflects history of area. Author has good characters & story has enough twists to move forward at acceptable pace.
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
kerrycat
kerrycat rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Carey Tynan
Carey Tynan rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Sibyl
Sibyl rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Bookwormbev
Bookwormbev rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Susan in NC
Susan in NC rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Christina Laukaitis
Christina Laukaitis rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Henry Deyoung
Henry Deyoung rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Jillann
Jillann rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2010
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2010
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2010
John Elvin
John Elvin rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Pearce grew up in the (then) Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. He returned there later to teach, and retains a human rights interest in the area. He has recently retired from his academic post to write full time.
More about Michael Pearce...

Mamur Zapt (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Mamur Zapt and the Return of the Carpet (Mamur Zapt, #1)
  • The Mamur Zapt and the Donkey-vous (Mamur Zapt, #3)
  • The Men Behind (Mamur Zapt, #4)
  • The Mamur Zapt and the Girl in the Nile (Mamur Zapt, #5)
  • The Mamur Zapt and the Spoils of Egypt (Mamur Zapt, #6)
  • The Camel of Destruction (Mamur Zapt, #7)
  • The Snake Catcher's Daughter (Mamur Zapt, #8)
  • The Mingrelian Conspiracy (Mamur Zapt, #9)
  • The Fig Tree Murder (Mamur Zapt, #10)
  • The Last Cut (Mamur Zapt, #11)