Start by marking “What Time Devours (Thomas Knight, #2)” as Want to Read:
What Time Devours (Thomas Knight, #2)

What Time Devours (Thomas Knight #2)

A dead woman. A literary treasure. A dangerous quest.

Thomas Knight, the protagonist from On the Fifth Day, returns and is faced with a centuries-old mystery surrounding a long-lost—and now priceless—Shakespearean play. To find it, Thomas will have to enter a story which drags loss and death after it like one of Shakespeare’s tragedies, a story bound to time and all it devo
Published January 6th 2009 by Berkley (first published December 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Time Devours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Time Devours

Glenyse Limbrick
Oct 25, 2016 Glenyse Limbrick rated it liked it
Bit confusing
LJ
WHAT TIME DEVOURS (Ama. Sleuth-Thomas Knight-Chicago area/England/France-Cont) – G+
Hartley, A.J. – 2nd in Thomas Knight series
Berkeley, 2009, US Paperback – ISBN: 0425226239

First Sentence: Thomas Knight froze, one hand on the coffeepot, the other extended to the faucet over the sink.

The morning starts badly for high school English teacher, Thomas Knight. The body of an unknown dead woman is pressed up against his kitchen window. He then receives a call from a former student, David Escolme, who a
Beth Gibson
Mar 17, 2013 Beth Gibson rated it really liked it
Recommended to Beth by: Read this author before
This is just the type of suspense novel I love. An ordinary citizen accidentally gets involved in something that becomes dangerous. You do have to suspense belief a bit...since when does a school teacher have the ability to just jump on a plane (we all know that flights are hugely expensive when you don't book in advance) and run around England? No one I know has that kind of money. Aside from that, I enjoyed the story.

Thomas Knight is a high school teacher. He never did finish his theses on Sha
Linda
Feb 12, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
High school teacher Tom Knight is in a Shakespearean frame of mind as he goes on the hunt for "Love's Labor Won", the fabled lost play attributed to the bard and hotly sought after for centuries. Knight's never believed in its existence, not until a celebrity writer and her agent, one of Tom's former students, are murdered within a day of each other, in his own neighborhood. Tom being Tom, he drops everything at takes off for Europe. In the meantime, he receives some painful news from his ...more
Kristen
Jul 29, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
I am generally an easy mark for any book that involves Shakespeare, lost Shakeaspearean plays, or any other connection to the Bard, so when I found this I had to read it. Sometimes, my Shakespeare obssession is rewarded, other times, not so much! This time, however, was a wonderful treat!

The book is about a high school teacher, and failed graduate student, Thomas Knight, who completely inadvertently becomes embroiled in an international treasure-hunt for a previously unknown Shakespeare play.

Alt
Robert Stump
May 20, 2009 Robert Stump rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with an appreciation for education (not necessarily academic).
There’s the old axiom declared by countless authors saying, “Write about what you know.” Hartley knows his Shakespeare! Hartley knows his history!

Beyond the obvious respect, admiration, and perhaps some perplexity about the depths of which he knows the historical and academic content of his book, I have another appreciation for the author’s writing. It involves the preservation of history in its available accuracy despite deeply involving a subject that, if true, would "shake and rattle the pag
Tama
May 26, 2010 Tama rated it liked it
Started reading this book for our college book club. I must say this is not the type of book I would normally choose. It is a lot along the line of the Di Vinci Code. Short chapters, lots of layers of mystery. The author attended our meeting and it was interesting to get his perspective on both the book and the publishing world. At the time of our meeting I was about half way through the book and thought the book was exciting (at that point). However, as the book continued, I began to get that, ...more
MissNYix
Jan 24, 2016 MissNYix rated it it was ok
Again, I didn't know there was a book one. Note, the case in this book is entirely different from the first one, I take it. From what I've learn, much damage is already done onto the relationship between the man and his wife. There were friends whom I know nothing about or professors and what gave this man such as pessimistic view of the world. Oh, the main character has plenty of flaws alright and there are more than plenty of unfortunate circumstances which I felt could be dealt better by the ...more
MissNYix
Feb 07, 2016 MissNYix rated it it was ok
Sian Jones
Mar 04, 2009 Sian Jones rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A murder mystery about a lost Shakespeare play, you say? My anticipatory response was: Insert girlish clapping here. I so wanted to love this book, but when a mere handful of pages in, I was being walked through the protagonist's grocery-shopping -- and not in a good way -- I thought, Oh, it's going to be that kind of novel, is it? The kind where the author has just gone shopping or perhaps wants to go shopping and has a wordcount deadline to make and, hey, doesn't knowing someone's grocery ...more
Doris
Apr 09, 2012 Doris rated it really liked it
This story has high school English teacher Tom Knight haring off to England and then to France to chase down a killer while also doing some soul searching on 1) his reasons for not reconciling with his wife 2) his need to find the lost Shakespeare play and 3) his dropping out of his graduate program in Shakespeare, years before.

We never really get a resolution to any of these, but the book is based on quite a few historical truths, including the lists of Shakespeare's plays, which indicate ther
Papercuts1
Aug 26, 2011 Papercuts1 rated it really liked it
May underwhelm the regular 'Dan Brown' sort of reader. The pacing, for most of the book, is much slower. Several parts of the story, in fact, seem to have only one reason for their existence: To promote the lore of Sir William Shakespeare.

Which, as I want to make clear, is absolutely fine with me. Because Shakespeare-buffs like I am will love Thomas Knight's journey to find a lost manuscript by The Bard himself. Many, many educating details on Shakespeare.

Other than that, Thomas Knight is a like
K
Sep 06, 2016 K rated it liked it
A mild thriller. Like a dvinci book mystery. Lots of little mysteries and characters that fit together at the end to solve the "crime". However, the crime is finding an old unpublished Shakespeare play.
I found it hard to follow the assumptions that Tom leaps to in some of the clues. I enjoyed the book, it kept me entertained and guessing. It seemed like the wife was added as an afterthought, like oh, I need another character to make the hero more real. She doesn't add a lot til the end when you
Ryan Mishap
Apr 19, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-crime
A promising start, a meandering middle section and a fizzle of an ending.
Tom Knight is a high school literature teacher. One morning, he gos to make coffee and finds a dead woman smashed against his window. That evening, a former student calls him claiming to have found a new play by Shakespeare. After someone tries to kill Tom--and kills the former student--he's off to England to try and find the play. While I liked the jabs at academics, the mystery was overwhelmed by the wandering of Tom a
Nichola
Mar 11, 2014 Nichola rated it liked it
Shelves: shakespeare
Thrillers are not my first choice, I get tired of all the dark alleys, dead bodies, and running. However, this was a mystery about one of the plays that Shakespeare likely wrote but that was not saved through the ages. I enjoyed the combination of known history, credible speculation and the glimpse into Shakespeare academia. I liked how the main character just pursued his interest at his own pace and constantly kept police in the loop over 3 countries even though they didn't really seem to care. ...more
Delores
Mar 15, 2016 Delores rated it it was ok
One other novel had I ever read by AJ Hartley, and that was the only reason I chose to read What Time Devours. I found that I was able to distinguish between his two writing styles. The creative mind vs. the academic mind. I find some interest, but not a lot that kept me not putting it down only to sigh when picking it up once again. While the time was short in this adventure, I found that time stood still in an attempts to finish. The ultimate question would be, that if by chance I found my ...more
Caitlin
Apr 10, 2009 Caitlin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
I really wanted this to be better than it turned out to be. The author is a Shakespearean scholar & is a decent writer - not fabulous, but some lovely bits of characterization. His plotting, however, is a little predictable. It sort of tries to be a cross between the The Da Vinci Code & one of those British drawing room mysteries (The Butler did it to Miss Scarlet in the library with the candlestick ... owait ...), but somehow manages to be neither.

It was a decent bit of "I bought it at
Don
Oct 01, 2010 Don rated it it was ok
For 370 pages this was a good adventure novel. Unfortunately the book is 400 pages long. What Hartley had built up in those first 370 pages, he completely tears down in the last 30. It's just one WTF moment after another, followed by one of those scenes from a bad episode of Murder, She Wrote where the hero has to explain the hows and whys of what happened because there was little to no logic to the end of the story.
David
Dec 26, 2013 David rated it liked it
This was a very entertaining book by an author whose work I have previously enjoyed. My only criticism is the number of times the hero fails to learn a lesson from his previous impulsive recklessness. I suppose that there are real people like this and I would have understood it more if the recklessness were in defense of a loved one, rather than in seeking an answer to a mystery into which he has been drawn through no fault of his own.
William McGinn
Feb 01, 2016 William McGinn rated it did not like it
1/4 D

Let me tell you the difference between a Shakespeare play and this story: the plays are short enough for us to feel the tragedy and come away satisfied. At almost four hundred pages though, being such an F.U. like this one and saying "How Shakespearean" to redeem the book feels like a mockery prank to the reader. I sure felt mocked.

You can read my full review at http://www.weldonwitness.weebly.com/w...
Marti
Jan 10, 2014 Marti rated it liked it
The underlying premise of this book is that Shakespeare wrote another play entitled, Love's Labours Won. If he did, a lot of the characters in this book are searching for it. The main character is Thomas Knight, a high school English teacher, estranged from his wife Kumi, who announces that she has cancer. On medical leave, he travels to England and begins an odyssey of search for the book. It develops into incidents of violence before the search is resolved.
Rebecca Heywood
Jan 31, 2012 Rebecca Heywood rated it really liked it
This is a book that Melanie gave me for my birthday. She got it at the dollar store. That being said, it was a very good book. The ending was not what I expected and frustrated me, so I liked it. However, parts of it are too boring, in my opinion, for a murder mystery type of book. It took awhile to get through those parts.
Matt Lehman
Feb 21, 2011 Matt Lehman rated it liked it
It was OK. Nothing great. If you're a Shakespeare buff you may enjoy it more. I thought it had a time travel theme and of course, it doesn't. It was one of those mysteries that really doesn't give you the information you need to figure anything out. You're just along for the ride. Kind of a formula novel.
Lianne
Jul 03, 2009 Lianne rated it it was ok
A book about Shakespeare and a lost play sounded right up my alley. Most of the plot was entertaining. As I began reading though, it became clear that there had been a previous book with the same character that I probably should have read first. The plot line with his wife in Japan was an annoying aspect that didn't add much to the overall story. I can't really say I would recommend this.
Chris
Apr 24, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok
A predictable read, perfect as a mindless distraction. This is another novel in the Da Vinci Code missing/secretive historial mystery vein. For as simple as this was to figure, it was hard to get into in the first few chapters.
Louisa
Jan 28, 2009 Louisa rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant surprise purchased in an airport bookstore. It's in the same vein as the DaVinci Code but i maybe not as far-fetched, or at least, not with the same hype. I really liked and and want to read the other books he's written.
Eugenia
Sep 21, 2014 Eugenia rated it really liked it
I think I'm going to write about this book in another context...it's a little long and seems to get "hijacked" half-way through by another story, but that is partly what's interesting about it and what I'm going to write about later.
Elizabeth
Jul 17, 2009 Elizabeth rated it liked it
A new Shakespeare's plays may have been uncovered and then disappears. This kind of reminded me of The DaVinci Code except its not quite as good. There's a little bit of globe-trotting by the high school literature teacher/protagonist.
Ana Enriques
Nov 29, 2013 Ana Enriques rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Estupendo y atrapante. El autor hace un gran manejo del suspenso y tanto las citas de Shakespeare como las continuas referencias históricas sobre lugares de Inglaterra relacionados con ese autor le dan un toque muy interesante.
Patricia
A good read, learned a few history and Shakespearean facts that I didn't know...kept me entertained as I went along for the ride......
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bonaparte Secret (Lang Reilly #5)
  • The 34th Degree (Sam Deker, #2)
  • The Chrysalis
  • La décima sinfonía
  • The Death Chamber
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
  • Magma
  • El Quinto Evangelio
  • The Chosen One
  • La traducción
  • The Medici Secret
  • House of Wolves (An August Adams Adventure, #2)
  • Days of Atonement (Hanno Stiffeniis, #2)
  • The Catalyst
  • Death In The Latin Quarter
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • Stalking Jack: The Hunt Begins (Madeline Donovan #1)
  • En busca de Klingsor

Thomas Knight (2 books)
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)