Start by marking “Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)

Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,065 ratings  ·  180 reviews
No further information has been provided for this title.
Published August 25th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender of a Siren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender of a Siren

Dina
Tessa Dare is definitely on my authors-to-watch list now. I loved her debut novel, Goddess of the Hunt, and even though this sequel wasn't as amazing as the previous book, it was still a great read.

Sophia Hathaway has just abandoned her fiancé Sir Toby Aldridge at the altar, and she's decided to finally live her life as she wants and not as her parents and society expect. She seeks passion, adventure and excitement, and she knows she isn't likely to get that by marrying a man she doesn't love. S...more
Beanbag Love
Four and a half for this one.

I liked it a lot. It was very unique in that the location is pretty much the same throughout the book. It didn't bother me, though. Every once in a while I would think "Wow! We've been on a ship the entire time." But it was only a surprised observation and not a complaint.

There were some great side characters and the hero, Gray, is very lovable. The heroine is Sophia, a character featured in Goddess of the Hunt. She's the one who gave me some problems. I thought she...more
seton
First, let me say that this book can be read stand alone, altho it will be a richer, more nuanced read if you have read the first book – Goddess of the Hunt (GOTH). Sophia only appeared in a handful of scenes there but the general consensus seems to be that she stole what scenes she was in. A lot of readers seem to love her and looked forward to her story.

I was not one of them.

I generally don’t respond well to characters with . . . hmm, how shall I say this? . . . . over-active imagination. I wo...more
Rane
Sophia Hathaway has run away from everything, jilted her groom and is on a secure passage on the ship Aphrodite. Posing as a governess, Sophia things she has everything planned out to the last letter, until her heart pounds and passion flares when she lays eyes on the charming Benedict “Gray” Grayson.
Gray is trying to live his life on the more noble side. After years as a privateer, Gray feels it’s time to straighten out his life and work to secure a future for his brother, his brother’s son a
Barbara M.
5 Stars...I loved it!

Ok ladies...I've read two of Dare's books and both of them have been 5 Star reads! 2 out of 2?! How rare is that?!

"Surrender Of A Siren" is the second book in this series and I was so worried I wouldn't like it like I did the first. But WoW! Did I ever! This author has a way of making every character come to life, and at some parts this lady is laugh of loud funny!

I wasn't very fond of Sophia in "Goddess Of The Hunt", but let me tell you...Once I got to know her...I loved he...more
LiteraryLover
In Surrender of a Siren, the main character is Sophie from the previous novel. You catch up with her at the beginning of the book as she's trying to board a ship for passage out of England. She's scandalously left home after fleeing from a marriage proposal in the previous book. In a rather unusual fashion she meets Mr. Grayson, the owner of the ship she intends to sail out on. She gives a false name and story to Mr. Grayson and the crew to persuade them to let her board. But over time her attra...more
Katie(babs)
For all practical purposes Sophie Hathaway may act like a proper miss of early 19th century British society, but underneath her façade is a woman who has big dreams. She wants adventure and romance, where she will be swept off her feet but some sex hungry man who will have his wicked way with her. Sophia has this fantasy of being ravished by her painting master, Gervais, which she tells in great detail to Lucy in Goddess as well as in Siren to reformed pirate and rogue, Benedict “Gray” Grayson....more
Jane Stewart
I didn’t understand some of the logic, and I didn’t like the reasons for much of the conflict.

STORY BRIEF:
Sophia’s parents arranged a marriage for her to someone she didn’t love. She will receive her trust fund money when she becomes 21. She manages to get 600 pounds, which she will live on until she can inherit the rest of her trust fund. Gray owns the ship Aphrodite. His brother Joss is the captain. Sophia arranges passage on their ship to take her to Tortola in the Caribbean. She uses a fake...more
Mei
Yes, I liked it, but I didn't loved it like the other Ms. Dare's books.

Why?

Because I thought Sophia lied too much about everything!

I could understand the lies at the beginning when she didn't know Gray from Adam, but I hated her when she continued and kept on and on... even when Gray professed his love, when he said that she was the One and Only for him!

And I didn't understand why she didn't wanted to stop lying!! Why, for God's sake, why???

All the other stars are for Gray who was a really nice...more
Ruth
Great hero and heroine in this one. The heroine looks like a prim, correct missy, but has two particular skills, lying and painting. She is blessed with an overactive imagination, and is feisty and saucy - in fact, her appearance and personality have very little in common with one another. I just loved her! It's wonderful to have a heroine that is comprised of such contrasts - some authors seem to start out that way, but their heroines just don't convince - they're just not naughty enough, or w...more
Maureen Feeney
Sophia Hathaway, is beautiful, rich, and respected by all of society. Engaged to Toby Aldridge, Sophia realises she is tired of being the perfect mindless paragon, so she invents a lover leaves a note and plans to travel to Tortola. Posing as Miss Jane Turner, governess, she convinces ex-privateer, "Gray" Grayson to allow her to travel on his ship.

Gray is now a reformed rake, trying to turn respectable so he can soon launch his sister into society. He promises his brother and ships captain Joss...more
Carmen Pacheco
Sophia Hathaway, aka the runaway heiress, has resurfaced from the destruction she inevitably, though unintentionally, caused for her intended groom, Toby, at the conclusion of Goddess of the Hunt (read review here). It's only to procure a more permanent means of escape, however. Headed to Tortola (on the pretense of gainful employment as Jane Turner, a governess), Sophia intends to shed the expectations of an English rose and truly blossom, by her own choosing. Tessa Dare set up Sophia as an app...more
Nikko Lee
Why I read this book:
I often read books as a form of research into the genres I am interested in. A good book is a good book. Unfortunately there are some common themes or cliches that really annoy me.

My one sentence summary:
In Surrender of a Siren, Sophia runs away from her family before she is forced to marry a man she does not love only to find love on the high seas in the form of a buccaneer trying to make an honest name, for once.

Kuddos:
Sophia is smart, witty, and defiant. Gray is a sympath...more
Katherine 黄爱芬
Love very much with Dolly ehh... Benedict Adolphus Grayson... ^^ Gabungan semua cowoq bejat favoritku. Mulai dari St. Vincent, Vasili dan Mitya...

Walaupun ada kemiripan setting dgn Secret Fire nya Johanna Lindsey dan Captive of my Desire nya Johanna Lindsey, ternyata kisah2 pelaut dan romansanya msh sangat menarik. Kisah si runaway bride, Sophia Hathaway sang Lady yg menyamar sbg pengasuh yg akhirnya bertemu pemilik kapal Aphrodite, Benedict Grayson. Demi memuaskan hasrat fantasi petualangan, S...more
Sara ♥
4.5 stars! Yay for Tessa Dare!

(1) Great story! I'm not sure about the setup. It's hard for me to reason why Sophia would board a ship for Tortola. I get that she wanted adventure and to find love... but go to Italy or something! Why a tiny island in the West Indies? And why would she pose as a governess? What's she gonna do when she gets there? And how did she know to look for Captain Grayson? Where'd she get his name from? Was it just because his ship was named "Aphrodite"?

(2) But once they're...more
Patacaisse
l est difficile de faire aussi bien que le premier tome. En effet, le premier reste un roman d’anthologie où l’héroïne – une chipie- marque la mémoire (ainsi que les scènes d’amour – soupirs….).
Bref, donc c’était un challenge de faire un deuxième tome.
Dans celui-ci, on retrouve Sophia, l’amie de Lucie, qui décide de fuir l’Angleterre car elle a soif d’aventures et a une imagination débordante. Elle monte donc dans le bateau de Grey.
Sophie est une héroïne gentille qui tombe amoureuse de cet ancie...more
Netanella
Not quite as good as the first book, Goddess of the Hunt, but a really good read nonetheless. What I loved about the debut of this series was the wit and banter between the romantic couple. Laugh-out-loud funny that surprised you and brought a tear to your eye. Although this book had a few funny moments, it didn't seem as well crafted.

That is not to say that this book is without merit. Far from it. Surrender of a Siren is a great yarn, set almost entirely on the high seas, on the passage from E...more
Mary Kathryn
This book could have been a five star book however...I really don't like the story line of I'm not going to tell you about my past because I don't think you can handle it. It had so many things going for it like one thing they were on a ship how exciting is that? And he used to be a "pirate" also very exciting. But for some reason Sophia thinks that Gray cannot handle her past when he has told her all about his. Which in my opion is much worse than anything she has done. So I found myself extrem...more
Paula
This book (sigh) was definitely swoon-worthy... loved it! Here is one of my favorite quotes:

“Not learning how to kiss, but learning why to kiss. Not in persuasion, not as a prelude to further liberties. Simply to discover the taste of her, delicate and fresh and exquisitely sweet. To tell her things he didn’t dare express in words. To tell her things he had no words to express. He kissed her for no greater pleasure than to kiss, because at that moment, kissing her felt like the greatest pleasure...more
Darnia
Ceritanya sebenernya biasa aja. Tapi setting tahun 1817 mengingatkan gw pada telenovella sebangsa Little Missy dan Hati yang Berduri *gw bener-bener generasi 90-an yey*

Sophia Hathaway kabur dari pertunangannya di Inggris,menumpang kapal Aphrodite yg akan membawanya ke Tortola, India Barat. Hal ini, selain untuk menghindari pernikahan-bukan-atas-dasar-cinta-melainkan-kedudukan, Sophia juga menunggu usianya 21 agar bisa mendapatkan hak warisnya sebesar 20,000 pound.

Benedict "Gray" Grayson, sebena...more
Cheryl
GREAT book! I did not want to put this one down! I guess it did not get 5 stars from me because I like to hear more about their happily ever after so I give it 4 1/2 stars!! It was a good long while until this book had any steamy scenes, but once it did...WOW! I especially couldn't believe the scene in chapter 16!!!! Definitely read this book! But, don't feel like you have to read Goddess of the Hunt first, although you will understand Sophia much better if you do!
Samantha
I gave this 3.5 stars. I loved the 1st book and thought I would love this one. I enjoyed it and actually liked it towards the end but there was no Wow factor for me. Sophia lied too much and I really wanted her to start telling the truth earlier. I really like Gray and when he fell, I felt all over the emotions. Good story, I can't wait to read the last book in the series.
Aoi
It's best to leave expectations of a realistic 18th century love story and just go along for the ride. A protected young lady in search of adventure and passion, an ex-privateer who most desperately wants to turn respectable and weeks of isolation at the high seas.

Ms Dare's witty prose is at its very best.
Donna
I just love Ms. Dare's male heroes. They are such tough guys on the exterior but have a soft, loving inner core. Gray was such a counterfoil to Sophia's passion and courage. The romance was charming, and could there have been a more delightful ending?? Gray chasing after her and boarding her ship was perfect!!
Emmatom

Waw ! Quelle suprise ! J'ai adoré !

Le style de Tessa Dare m'envoûte totalement ! Et pourtant j'avais commencé à lire l'Impulsive.

J'avais le tome 2 dans ma "bibliothèque" et j'ai voulu savoir ce que devenait Sophia et franchement je m'attendais pas à ça ! Quelle belle surprise ! J'ai pas pu le lâcher de l'après midi

J'ai adoré l'ambiance. Sur un bateau, l'histoire est tellement bien raconté. Gray est magnifique. Séduisant,drôle, charmeur. Et Sophia je l'ima...more
Danette Steward
4.5. Loved this story. Moved really fast and didn't want to put the book down! There is a really hot scene where the H/H don't even touch....one of the steamiest scenes I've ever read. I'm looking forward to Dare's other books.
Ivy
I get kind of silly and giddy when describing this book. It was that good. I mean: a pirate ship. Baaaaasically the hero is a pirate. Ok, retired privateer. Whatever: a pirate. The vast majority of the book is set on a ship sailing across the ocean. There is hot ship sex. Very. Hot. Ship. Sex. I mean, it's so over the top and fabulous, I can barely talk about it without giggling like a teenager. And the heroine was genuinely independent and awesome, not just plucky like most historical heroines...more
Sarita
Another good read! I really liked the female character in this story.
I recommend this series to all my friends on GR.
Isabel
This is such a sweet story. Sophia and Gray are amazing, funny and adventurous... Beautiful!!!
Moira Fogarty
Arrr! This book were farrrrr more piratical than I were expectin', with salty sailors, cannons, storms and the like. A good read. For those who enjoy romance and the sea. Nice mention of some old seaman's traditions like the Tropic of Cancer initiation rites, food rations with line juice to keep away scurvy and so on. The heroine and her drawing talent influenced the similes of her fantasies and the hero and his watery misadventures did the same for his thoughts about her. Some very enticing sce...more
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Huntington, #2)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • Indiscreet
  • Tempt the Devil
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven #2)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • An Invitation to Sin (Griffin Family, #2)
  • What a Scoundrel Wants (Medieval, #1)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
Note: Tessa has a Goodreads group! All readers welcome.

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twelve historical romance novels and four novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award and multiple RT Book Reviews Reviewer’s Choice Awards. Booklist magazine named her one of the “new stars of historical rom...more
More about Tessa Dare...
A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1) One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1) A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3) Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)

“Well then. Let us begin with essentials. Are you free to marry me?” He exhaled slowly, in a pointed effort not to hold his breath.
“Of course. When I come of age, that is.”
“Tell me your birthday.”
She smiled. “The first of February.”
“It will be our wedding day.” He traced the shape of the birthmark on her hip. “Very convenient for me, for your birthday and our anniversary to coincide. I’ll be more likely to remember both.”
“I wish you would stop touching me there.”
“Do you? Why?”
“Because it is ugly. I hate it.”
He tilted his head, surprised. “I quite adore it. It reminds me that you are imperfectly perfect and entirely mine.” He slid down her body and bent to kiss the mark to prove the point. “There’s a little thrill in knowing no one else has seen it.”
“No other man, you mean.” He kissed her there again, this time tracing the shape with his tongue. She squirmed and laughed. “When I was a child, I would scrub at it in the bath. My nursemaid used to tell me, God gives children birthmarks so they won’t get lost.” Her mouth curled in a bittersweet smile. “Yet here I am, adrift on the ocean on the other side of the world. Don’t they call that irony?”
“I believe they call it Providence.” He tightened his hands over her waist. “You’re here, and I’ve found you. And I take pains not to lose what’s mine.”
He kissed her hip again, then slid his mouth toward her center as he settled between her thighs.
“Gray,” she protested through a sigh of pleasure. “It’s late. We must rise.”
“I assure you, I’ve risen.”
“I’ve work to do.” She writhed in his grip. “The men will be wanting their breakfast.”
“They’ll wait until the captain has finished his.”
“Gray!” She gave a gasp of shock, then one of pleasure. “What a scoundrel you are.”
He came to his knees and lifted her hips, sinking into her with a low groan. “Sweet,” he breathed as she began to move with him, “you would not have me any other way.”
3 likes
“I want to have you in every way known to man, and then
invent a dozen more.”