Start by marking “Trollkarlens hatt (Mumintrollen, #3)” as Want to Read:
Trollkarlens hatt (Mumintrollen, #3)

Trollkarlens hatt (The Moomins #3)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  5,078 ratings  ·  233 reviews
Det börjar med trolldom en tidig vårmorgon och slutar en varm augustinatt som aldrig kommer att glömas i Mumindalen. När muminfamiljen hittat Trollkarlens hatt är inget sig likt längre.
Published August 27th 2004 by Alfabeta (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Trollkarlens hatt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trollkarlens hatt

Rachel Hartman
This book is the reason I learned to read.

My mother read it aloud to me once and then refused to read it again. In fact, she washed her hands of the whole series on the grounds that it was "creepy". I was forced - forced! - to teach myself to read, if I wanted any more Moomins, ever. I got my revenge, however: I read this book out loud to HER while she was working in the kitchen and couldn't get away.
Greg
I liked, but didn't love Comet in Moominland. Finn Family Moomintroll though really captures the same wonderfulness that the Moomin comic strips do. This book is a bit more episodic than Comet, but it feels more cohesive. Maybe the Moomintroll is best when he isn't on long adventures with his friends, short adventures serve them nicely when they can return home to rest and enjoy the simple pleasures of Moominvalley. If I had kids I would read this to them, if they didn't like it, I'd drive them ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jun 05, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: probably almost everybody, unless they have identical taste to mine
I feel sacrilegious in rating this book with just 2 stars. I almost “graded” it higher.

I apologize to everyone who loves this book. I’ve gotten over it now, but for years I was extremely perturbed when others I knew didn’t love A Wrinkle in Time and some of my other favorites.

I apologize to The Muskrat (who is a real hoot) and to Moominmamma (because she really is a great character) and some of the other characters too. I apologize to the author because there were glimmers and glimpses throughou
Kim
As part of a "read a new book, reread an old book challenge" and because it's the 65th anniversary of the Moomin series (there's even a Moominweek at tor.com!), I decided to reread as much as I could of the Moomin series. Which ended up being only one book, unfortunately: Finn Family Moomintroll. I read this series when I was perhaps 8 or 9 years old, and loved it; I think it would also be a great choice to read aloud to younger children. The illustrations are adorable, and the names of the char ...more
Emily
Sometimes things do work out as they ought to: my son is well on the road to loving the Moomintroll books just as much as I do. We breezed through this second book in the series really fast -- T was able, without much effort, to persuade Mama to read a chapter aloud pretty much any time of day, as long as he wasn't supposed to be in school.

This charming tale of one Spring and Summer in the lives of the Moomin family picks up where its predecessor left off. Every member of the Moomin household fr
Suvi
Whimsical little stories that are tied together by the Hobgoblin's hat, which has the magical power to change things into something else. A lot of these episodic scenes are the ones that I'm most familiar with because of the tv-series.

The Hattifatteners are equally creepy here, and part of the reason why I've never felt comfortable with them is that they look brain-dead. They don't do anything, they just are and wander around in hordes looking like the ghosts of wet socks with limited means of c
Nikki
I loved the Moomins so much as a kid. I don't remember reading them, actually -- surprisingly, no sense of location or of my fingers on the pages comes back to me, though usually I'll remember where I read books and whether my edition was new or old, and the smell of the pages... In any case, I do remember that I loved the Moomins, and it was lovely to curl up and reread now I'm older, and wiser, and really not feeling well.

I do love the range of characters, all with different customs and such,
Cristin
Read this one when I was seven...At the time, I didn't understand the concept of "Never judge a book by its cover" (and boy am I glad, as this book's just as good, if not better than it's awesome, mind-candy cover) and at first, I picked this one up solely based on the colorful illustrations on the jacket.
It's still a favorite of mine and reminds me of the absolute wonder of being a kid. This book rocks my world. What a little freakin' treasure chest of glory the Moomintrolls are!
Snufkin is a r
Qt
I loved this book! I thought it was utterly charming and so delightful, and all the adventures of the Moomins and their friends are just so much fun. I loved the writing, and the pictures are cute, as well. Most of this book takes place in the summer, so it was a great seasonal read for me, too.
nicole
Sweet and funny. Jansson has a great voice, speaks matter-of-factly and in a way that's respectful of the child reader; there's no talking down. Perhaps it's just a more European sensibility, but I like it when author's tell it like it is, regardless of the age of the intended audience. Here, as in books by Dahl and the Nicholas series, for example, the authors write people (or moomins) just as they are, even the nasty, grouchy bits. Kids can relate to it and adults get to laugh at the frank nat ...more
Kirei
I read this to myself several years ago and I didn't like it all. I was extremely confused about the characters, the plot seemed to ramble, and it left me with a headachy feeling like I had tried on the magician's hat.

Well, I tried it again--this time I read it aloud to my son. I was prepared to be confused this time. (I had completely forgotten just about everything in it from the last time I read it, so I couldn't rely on my memory to help me out.) And guess what? I actually enjoyed it!

Severa
Rachel
Strange and otherworldly yet somehow very realistic, I got unexpectedly wrapped up in the world of the Moomins.

A friend who grew up reading obscure Enlgish comics from the 1950's recommended this to me, so my plan was to read it mostly as a concession to her (so that she would have to read Annie Dillard - not exactly a fair trade, in terms of time and effort required...).

But then I loved it. It's odd; it's a children's story with situations revolving around unexplored islands and magical hats, b
Zen Cho
Picked this up for 200 yen in a Book Off, though was a bit worried that the books might not be as fun as the comics. But it was so cute! It had all the whimsical charm of the graphic novels -- it helps that it comes with illustrations, but I would have enjoyed it nearly as much without. Moominpappa and Moominmamma are total stereotypes when it comes to gender roles, but oh well. Moominmamma is one of my favourite characters. Not gonna lie, I totally came close to tearing up when she recognised M ...more
Alison
I love the Moomins and I love Tove Jansson. They are slightly unsettling books, with strange characters and happenings. Moomintroll, Sniff and Snufkin find the Hobgoblin's magical hat. Things put inside the hat change, causing bizarre happenings. Two weird little characters, Thingummy and Bob, turn up with a ruby that they have stolen from the sinister Groke. They are put on trial, then the Hobgoblin turns up looking for his hat.

I think that these books are wonderful. They provoke a lot of discu
Adam
I read the Moomintroll stories many decades ago, but I still remember how much I enjoyed them.

Illustration from Tove Jansson's book Moominland Midwinter

Cute as the characters undoubtedly are, they are a little mysterious as well. The beautiful illustrations heightened this sense of mystery.
Lea
«Выдуманный мир моих муми-троллей - это мир, по которому наверняка в глубине души тоскует каждый из нас», - говорила сама Туве Янссон.
Вообще Туве Янссон была художницей. И еще писала взрослые серьезные книги. Но для большинства читателей Туве Янссон - та, кто придумала очаровательный мир муми-троллей.
Удивительно, но эти истории как будто растут вместе с нами. Можно спорить, что например «Шляпа волшебника» никогда не покажется глупой, наивной и детской. Вы нйдете в ней то, что нужно именно сейч
Christy
I am a new convert to Moominmania. The Moomins are my idea of a Finnish version of Milne's Winnie the Pooh and friends. With a title like "The Finn Family Moomintroll" I thought I had picked up the first book, but I guess it's the third Moomin book, and I thought it a bit strange that there was no introduction to any character but Moominpappa, Moominmamma, Moomintroll, the Snork Maiden, Sniff etc just bounded through the pages. Magical and strange and funny.
Thomas Armstrong
This was one of those children's literature selections that I should have known about (being an educator), but had to read about on the Guardian website (I think). It is a classic from Finland that American children should be raised on (I don't know, perhaps they are and I'm out of the loop). What makes this book great is the way things transform and shift, not in a formulaic way, but in unpredictable ways (for example, the ways in which the Hobgoblin's Hat changes in the course of the book). Al ...more
Danine
Very creative characters and story. I had quite a few WTF? Moments as the plot decided not to be a plot. Sporadic unexplained events left me confused leaving me wondering if I should accept this as whimsy or actual importance to the story. I will read this again in a few years, but until then it remains a WTF? book. I may need to pretend I'm a six year old when I re-read.
Clara
Rated awesome not just because it is a fun, silly book, but also because of the absolutely wonderful job Hugh Laurie does reading it. If there were an ethical, not to mention financially viable, way for me to enslave Laurie and Stephen Fry for occasional private bookreadings and cocktail parties, I would do it. Alas. But huzzah for audiobooks, the next best thing.
Julie
My favorite sentence from this profound & creative book is: "Moomintroll's mother and father always welcomed all their friends in the same quiet way, just adding another bed and putting another leaf in the dining-room table." There is exploration, adventure, personal growth, comfort, family & home all cleverly done with wit & wisdom.
Kasia
When I was a child I used to watch The Moomins on Tv series. Now as a mum of two very little boys I´ve finally read the book. And yes, I still love it :) It´s good to read something like that from time to time being an adult. Yes, for sure. Very nice tales.
Andrew
The most perfect Moomin book. An entire year in their lives, from the spring awakening from hibernation, to the onset of winter and the call of its great sleep. Just wonderful in every possible way.
Mänsomläser
I bakgrunden till de flesta böckerna om mumintrollen lurar något slags hot: en översvämning, en komet, en jordbävning, en vulkan, eller som i det här fallet, en ond och mäktig trollkarl.

Sniff och mumintrollet hittar en hatt på toppen av ett berg. Det är en magisk hatt eftersom saker som de lägger i den förvandlas. Bland annat förvandlas några äggskal till moln som mumintrollet och de andra sedan flyger omkring på i trädgården.

Så berättar Snusmumriken att han har sett en trollkarl ridande på en s
Leslie
I have loved this book since I was about 7 years old, and it is still fun to read now as an adult.
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2009 Kathryn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Katri
Shelves: summer
Read first then to other Moomintrolls.

(Aren't the Moomins adorable!)
Karl Orbell
Moomintroll in a Hat

The third little Moomin story mostly revolves around a hat. It's a nice top hat, big and black. More importantly, if you shove stuff in to it, then extremely odd things happen to it. Not necessarily things that aught to happen in a quiet place like Moominvalley. But then, that band of disaster magnets should probably be kicked out of the valley anyhow. Even the Hemulen and the Muskrat rue the day they joined up with them all, they seem nice, anyone who turns up appears to be given a free house,
Milka
Moomins must be one of the greatest fictional creations EVER. They were a HUGE part of my childhood and I am happy to see, that they are still part of the life of little children. But also adults are obsessed about them, collecting everything from Moomin mugs to curtains and duvet covers. We even have Moomin soda and Moomin candy in pretty much every single grocery store here in Finland.

For many (at least foreigners) The Moomins are the most familiar from the the Japanese animation series - it i
Dish
The best, and longest-lasting childrens' books are those which can appeal to adults and children alike. And I, for one, still adore a good childrens' book - after all, they were my introduction to the world of literature. Thus, the second book I completed in 2008 was 'Finn Family Moomintroll' by Tove Jansson.

The weird thing is, I never read this book as a child. My mother is absolutely convinced that she read it to me, but I know she didn't. I'm pretty certain that it entered our household after
Carrie Terrell
I was given this book by my son-in-law. He is an avid fan of Tove Jansson having read these books during his growing years. Finding himself a new father he began purchasing a new set so that he could read them to his daughter. Naturally a good grandmother would want to know what was being read to the grandchild, right?? What I liked about this book was that it wasn't your traditional "all is well" fairy tale, but a tale of the natural consequences of things that you encounter as a curious child ...more
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Elidor
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Moomin, Vol. 6
  • The Cucumber King
  • The Unknown Soldier
  • The Wombles
  • Box Of Delights
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Nils
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2)
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...
The Summer Book Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5) Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2) The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1) Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)

“It looks rather ordinary," said the Snork. "Unless you consider that a top hat is always somewhat extraordinary, of course.” 33 likes
“Someone who eats pancakes and jam can't be so awfully dangerous. You can talk to him.” 19 likes