Start by marking “Trollkarlens hatt (Mumintrollen, #3)” as Want to Read:
Trollkarlens hatt (Mumintrollen, #3)

Trollkarlens hatt (The Moomins #3)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  7,662 Ratings  ·  386 Reviews
Det börjar med trolldom en tidig vårmorgon och slutar en varm augustinatt som aldrig kommer att glömas i Mumindalen. När muminfamiljen hittat Trollkarlens hatt är inget sig likt längre.
Published August 27th 2004 by Alfabeta (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Trollkarlens hatt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trollkarlens hatt

Rachel Hartman
Jun 17, 2012 Rachel Hartman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the reason I learned to read.

My mother read it aloud to me once and then refused to read it again. In fact, she washed her hands of the whole series on the grounds that it was "creepy". I was forced - forced! - to teach myself to read, if I wanted any more Moomins, ever. I got my revenge, however: I read this book out loud to HER while she was working in the kitchen and couldn't get away.
Greg
Jul 06, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
I liked, but didn't love Comet in Moominland. Finn Family Moomintroll though really captures the same wonderfulness that the Moomin comic strips do. This book is a bit more episodic than Comet, but it feels more cohesive. Maybe the Moomintroll is best when he isn't on long adventures with his friends, short adventures serve them nicely when they can return home to rest and enjoy the simple pleasures of Moominvalley. If I had kids I would read this to them, if they didn't like it, I'd drive them ...more
Manybooks
I absolutely adore Tove Jansson's Moomintrolls and their exploits, and the 1970s German language translations by Vivica and Kurt Bandler were favourites of my childhood (and are still considered sweet and nostalgic gems to be reread over and over again, although my copies are falling apart and I now need to find replacements). With this fact in mind, when the Children's Literature Group decided to read Elizabeth Portch's English language translation of the third Moomintroll book, of Trollkarlens ...more
Lisa Vegan
May 19, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: probably almost everybody, unless they have identical taste to mine
I feel sacrilegious in rating this book with just 2 stars. I almost “graded” it higher.

I apologize to everyone who loves this book. I’ve gotten over it now, but for years I was extremely perturbed when others I knew didn’t love A Wrinkle in Time and some of my other favorites.

I apologize to The Muskrat (who is a real hoot) and to Moominmamma (because she really is a great character) and some of the other characters too. I apologize to the author because there were glimmers and glimpses throughou
Ivonne Rovira
While I enjoyed Finn Family Moomintroll, it was not nearly as delightful as Comet in Moominland. When Moomintroll and the tramp Snufkin discover a stovepipe hat, they unwittingly bring home what turns out to be a Hobgoblin’s Hat. The hat wreaks all sorts of havoc until Moominmamma wisely hits on a solution.

Neither as witty or as funny as Comet in Moominland, Finn Family Moomintroll does introduce the odd little Thingumy and Bob, who have some very unusual ideas about stealing.
Chris
Feb 02, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I guess I am fiscally conservative but liberal in most other things. You want to marry the same gender; you should. It’s none of my damn business as you are both consenting adults. Your womb is none of my damn business. You want to change gender, go right ahead – none of my damn business.
And incidentally, you can reverse that.
I blame Moomins for this. I just realized this.
When my family went to Sweden when I was in third or fourth grade, I was given copies of Jansson’s children books and real
Cleo
Apr 20, 2017 Cleo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten stars!
Amina
Feb 16, 2016 Amina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me travel back to my childhood, what a warm feeling, I used to watch it as a cartoon called وادي أمان and what a terrific world...
Kim
Apr 30, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
As part of a "read a new book, reread an old book challenge" and because it's the 65th anniversary of the Moomin series (there's even a Moominweek at tor.com!), I decided to reread as much as I could of the Moomin series. Which ended up being only one book, unfortunately: Finn Family Moomintroll. I read this series when I was perhaps 8 or 9 years old, and loved it; I think it would also be a great choice to read aloud to younger children. The illustrations are adorable, and the names of the char ...more
Emily
Jun 10, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes things do work out as they ought to: my son is well on the road to loving the Moomintroll books just as much as I do. We breezed through this second book in the series really fast -- T was able, without much effort, to persuade Mama to read a chapter aloud pretty much any time of day, as long as he wasn't supposed to be in school.

This charming tale of one Spring and Summer in the lives of the Moomin family picks up where its predecessor left off. Every member of the Moomin household fr
Tweedledum
The troll toy craze first arrived in the UK around 1962. I was 7 and I begged for one of these little dolls. I must have really wanted it as I never asked my parents for anything. Mum wasn't too impressed. Tried hard to dissuade me but perhaps the novelty of her daughter's passionate appeal won her over. How I treasured that toy.

I did not encounter Moomintroll and friends however until a year or two later and did not really associate the two in my mind. My toy was a troll... These were Moomins.
Nikki
Nov 08, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Moomins so much as a kid. I don't remember reading them, actually -- surprisingly, no sense of location or of my fingers on the pages comes back to me, though usually I'll remember where I read books and whether my edition was new or old, and the smell of the pages... In any case, I do remember that I loved the Moomins, and it was lovely to curl up and reread now I'm older, and wiser, and really not feeling well.

I do love the range of characters, all with different customs and such,
imbirowa
Jan 31, 2017 imbirowa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
„Samotność jest czasem potrzebna.”

Moja opinia: Muminki to Muminki. Wiadomo, że zawsze będę je kochała i nigdy nie będę zbyt stara na zapoznanie się z ich historią. Uwielbiam Włóczykija. Uwielbiam Małą Mi. Uwielbiam uroczy domek i przygody, jakie przeżywają. Sama chętnie polatałabym na chmurce.

Moja ocena: ★★★★★★★★★★
Deborah O'Carroll
ALKSDJFLSKJDFLJ I JUST LOVE THESE BOOKS SO MUCH. ^___^ *huggles book forever and a day* I think this one might actually be my favorite overall! (Though parts of Moominsummer Madness are still my favorites too.) So cute and fun and amusing and whimsical. UGH I LOVE SNUFKIN AND ALL OF THEMMM. <3 JUST. AWK. I CAN'T EVEN. I JUST LOVETH IT. ^_^ <33333
Gina
Sep 29, 2013 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in multicultural children's literature
I read this for a class in college and it is still just as enjoyable as it was then. Though the Moomins are akin to Mickey Mouse in their fame across the sea, reading it always reminds me of Winnie the Pooh (not the books - I haven't read them yet), with little related yet unrelated adventures full of fun and cute, distinctive characters, which don't have to be viewed/read in any particular order to be understood and enjoyed.
Mark
Dec 03, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Kasia
Perfection. The characters, the scenes, the language. Everything.
Jessica
Our first experience with the Moomins, and we are utterly charmed!
Suvi
Whimsical little stories that are tied together by the Hobgoblin's hat, which has the magical power to change things into something else. A lot of these episodic scenes are the ones that I'm most familiar with because of the tv-series.

The Hattifatteners are equally creepy here, and part of the reason why I've never felt comfortable with them is that they look brain-dead. They don't do anything, they just are and wander around in hordes looking like the ghosts of wet socks with limited means of c
Larry Piper
Jan 31, 2017 Larry Piper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was rather fun. It's sort of cute little creatures going on with adventures of one kind and another. Sometimes there is danger, but they find ways to get out of it. Sometimes weird things happen, like the loss of Moominmamma's purse. But, when it's found again—actually someone nabbed it because the inside pockets made a nice snug place to sleep—the joy is so great that they have a giant party for the whole of Moomin Valley.

I dunno, I rather like the idea of taking joy in life and
Becky
Dec 15, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Adorable. I really, really liked this. It's like an odd cross between Wind in the Willows and Dr. Seuss. There are shallow characters, kind characters, vain characters, selfless characters, and characters with questionable morals all wrapped up in this funny little family who will accept anyone who seems to need a family. It sort of wanders about telling bits of tales that make up a lovely summer in the Valley of the Moomins. There's never any real sense of alarm, even when the Groke shows up, b
Cristin
Read this one when I was seven...At the time, I didn't understand the concept of "Never judge a book by its cover" (and boy am I glad, as this book's just as good, if not better than it's awesome, mind-candy cover) and at first, I picked this one up solely based on the colorful illustrations on the jacket.
It's still a favorite of mine and reminds me of the absolute wonder of being a kid. This book rocks my world. What a little freakin' treasure chest of glory the Moomintrolls are!
Snufkin is a r
Кремена Михайлова
„Едносла! Двесла! ТРИСЛА!”

Задължителна (и) за възрастни.

„- Какво си беше намислил? – попита Магьосника.
- Преценяваща машина! отговори Снорк. – Машина, която преценява дали нещо е справедливо или несправедливо, добро или лошо.
- Прекалено трудно е - каза Магьосника и поклати глава: - Няма да се справя.”

И още – как „Ненужността на всичко” може да се окаже „За необходимостта на всичко”.

Защото „Човек, който яде палачинка със сладко, не може да бъде чак толкова опасен. С него може да се разговаря.”
Nilsson
Apr 19, 2015 Nilsson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what comes of putting on strange hats you find. Just buy yourself a good hat and stick to it, that's what you need to do. If more people took the liberty to have their own every-day hats these sorts of things wouldn't be happening left and right. What if it wasn't just a hobgoblin it had belonged to and it had been a banshee or evil spirit of some sort?
Crippled_ships
Oct 23, 2015 Crippled_ships rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
These books fill me with awe and happiness, and just the right amount of melancholia.

And the pictures make me think of something holy and ineffable, much like William Blake's illuminated manuscripts.

If it wasn't for the Moomin books I'd be a poorer and more miserable person.
Qt
Jun 14, 2011 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I thought it was utterly charming and so delightful, and all the adventures of the Moomins and their friends are just so much fun. I loved the writing, and the pictures are cute, as well. Most of this book takes place in the summer, so it was a great seasonal read for me, too.
Beka Sukhitashvili
Aug 03, 2015 Beka Sukhitashvili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finnish
ტუვე გენიოსია.
მარტო ჰატიფნატები რად ღირან.
იმედია, დარჩენილ 5 წიგნსაც ვთარგმნით ქართულად.
Iria
Aug 16, 2016 Iria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ai, Tove, Tove. que machiruliña estabas feita...
Sol González
Mar 11, 2015 Sol González rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infantil, 2015
Ayer por la noche terminé de leer El sombrero del Mago, por Tove Jansson.
Este libro lo encontré una vez en una feria del libro en uno de esos, ahora más raros puestos, en donde se venden libros usados. En este puesto en especial y especialmente esa vez me dejé una pequeña fortuna.

Verán, a veces cuando encuentro libros de editoriales españolas no me puedo resistir, y esto me pasa normalmente con Siruela. Sus libros son hermosos y tan sólo ver el nombre de la editorial es casi una promesa de que
Daniela
Feb 16, 2016 Daniela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I am late to the party, but I loved my first Moomins book! Finn Family Moomintroll is an episodic tale of the adventures of Moomin and his friends and family, including a trip to a deserted island, a confrontation with a dark wizard and the loss of Moominmama's handbag and it's retrieval (which might be the most dramatic episode...).

The Moomins' world is quirky, even outright weird in places, touching, wise and filled with scandinavian calm and coziness (the Danish word hygge co
nicole
Jul 15, 2008 nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7up
Sweet and funny. Jansson has a great voice, speaks matter-of-factly and in a way that's respectful of the child reader; there's no talking down. Perhaps it's just a more European sensibility, but I like it when author's tell it like it is, regardless of the age of the intended audience. Here, as in books by Dahl and the Nicholas series, for example, the authors write people (or moomins) just as they are, even the nasty, grouchy bits. Kids can relate to it and adults get to laugh at the frank nat ...more
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Elidor
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Ferien auf Saltkrokan
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Nils
  • Under the North Star (Under the North Star, #1)
  • Mormor og de åtte ungene i skogen (Eight Children, #2)
  • When the Robbers Came to Cardamom Town
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • A Dog So Small
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)

“Someone who eats pancakes and jam can't be so awfully dangerous. You can talk to him.” 40 likes
“It looks rather ordinary," said the Snork. "Unless you consider that a top hat is always somewhat extraordinary, of course.” 35 likes