Start by marking “The Solzhenitsyn Reader: New and Essential Writings, 1947-2005” as Want to Read:
The Solzhenitsyn Reader: New and Essential Writings, 1947-2005

The Solzhenitsyn Reader: New and Essential Writings, 1947-2005

This reader, compiled by renowned Solzhenitsyn scholars Edward E. Ericson, Jr., and Daniel J. Mahoney in collaboration with the Solzhenitsyn family, provides in one volume a rich and representative selection of Solzhenitsyn's voluminous works. Reproduced in their entirety are early poems, early and late short stories, early and late "miniatures" (or prose poems), and many ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Intercollegiate Studies Institute (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Solzhenitsyn Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Solzhenitsyn Reader

Matt Young
Aug 20, 2012 Matt Young rated it it was amazing
This book, and all of Solzhenitsyn's work should be read by everybody and in particular Communist sympathizers for which I continually run into. Solzhenitsyn's love of his country (Russia) is apparent within all of his writings as is his sadness for what befell it. His descriptions of the Cancer Ward and the Gulags are crystal clear, you can feel the hunger and severe cold of Russian winters. I would like to take up the Gulag Archipelago but that will have to wait until I have the free time.
Nicholas
Jul 06, 2015 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a superb collection of Solzhenitsyn's most important works. In addition to his short stories, the editors carefully crafted selections from his lengthier novels. The Miniatures and The Red Wheel were my two favorite choices throughout the reader.
Jeff Bursey
Feb 12, 2008 Jeff Bursey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential book for readers of soviet/russian literature.
Jason Farley
May 13, 2008 Jason Farley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read solzheitsyn before (in fact, I can hardly spell his name), but I have always had a curiosity about Russia. This book is currently knocking my socks off. He is seriously insightful, but, perhaps because it is the translation, the rhythms of his thoughts are cracking my categories a bit. He is anti-modern in a sort of fun way, because I only know of Medieval anti-moderns, and he is not that, but he is still intreaguing and I am definitly enjoying it. Here are a couple of my favor ...more
Mike
Aug 01, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Future generations will shake their heads in wonder at the way one of the greatest thinkers and prophet of the 20th Century was so misrepresented and ignored. During the Cold War he was lauded in the West as a symbol of opposition. But when Solzhenitsyn turned out to be also critical of the materialistic capitalist society he was quickly dropped as the "darling" of the West.

Now, as so many of the promises of capitalism also turn out to be hollow, it might be possible to re-evaluate this thinker.
Michael
Sep 19, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sovietologists, Russian Lit fans
Shelves: ongoing
Solzhenitsyn's work can certainly stand on its own. But the introductory essay in the reader opens up the historical experience, literary influences, and purpose of the Nobel laureate's work in a way that can only inform one's reading of his novels and poetry. An excellent introduction to those considering reading Solzhenitsyn's writings.
Matt Root
Mar 01, 2012 Matt Root rated it really liked it
This is a great entry into Solz.'s writings.
Lgf_united
Oct 14, 2010 Lgf_united rated it liked it
Only give three stars because I'm generally not a fan of compilations. Look forward to reading the complete versions of some of the works.
D.N.
Feb 04, 2013 D.N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-edited collection of Solzhenitsyn's best essays, stories, and political writings. If you only get one Solzhenitsyn book, let this be the one.
Debbi
Aug 28, 2008 Debbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbi by: saw a BookTV discussion w/ the editors and Solzhenitsyn's two so
Shelves: history, read-in-2008
Great introduction and it left me wanting to read the full versions of his stories.
Thomas A Wiebe
This is a very important collection of Solzhenitsyn's writings, because it contains excerpts of books that have never been translated into English before.
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2010
Tom Slovak
Tom Slovak rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2011
Tom Slovak
Tom Slovak rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2011
timothy kalamaros
timothy kalamaros rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Matt Mabe
Matt Mabe rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2008
Caleb Gore
Caleb Gore rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2010
Jason , etc.
Jason , etc. rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Katy Go
Katy Go rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2009
David Gersten
David Gersten rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Joe Holland
Joe Holland rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Paula Tlr
Paula Tlr rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Michael Kelley
Michael Kelley rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2010
Bart
Bart rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Shaun Kenney
Shaun Kenney rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2014