Start by marking “The Log Of The Flying Fish” as Want to Read:
The Log Of The Flying Fish

The Log Of The Flying Fish

This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it. This work was reproduced from the original artifact, and remains as true to the original work as possible. Therefore, you will see the original copyright references, library stamps (as most of these works have been housed in our most ...more

To ask other readers questions about The Log Of The Flying Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Log Of The Flying Fish

Robin
Oct 31, 2011 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Angela
Jun 20, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who thought the good ol' days ended with the 14th amendment
A somewhat antisocial scientist-engineer invents a miracle metal, both lighter and stronger than anything that has preceded it. With his small circle of wealthy investor and brave adventurer friends, he builds some new-fangled transportation infrastructure while ranting extensively against unionized labor. And no, it's not Ayn Rand.

This late 19th century novel is hailed as one of the first examples of the fantasy genre, and it is reminiscent of later adventure-exploration novels like The Lost Wo
Erica Castellanos
May 20, 2012 Erica Castellanos rated it liked it
I have to say I enjoyed it, up until the very end. It ends so abruptly! But it is a good example of its time & genre, I enjoyed seeing the author's vision of things imaginary to him which are, in my day and age, commonplace and well-known--for example, going 150 mph, or what the peak of Everest is like. One should know what they're in for when opening this book; if you are one of those people, then have at it.
Edward Lengel
Nov 03, 2011 Edward Lengel rated it it was ok
Shelves: other-fiction
I enjoy old-fashioned adventure tales, but it's difficult to read this one without anxiously hoping for the slaughter of the four "adventurers" who shoot every animal in sight as they hack and slash their way through the world of the 1880s. Racism, sexism, arrogant imperialism--you name it, it's all here; but if you can put it aside, there are moments of genuine excitement, especially toward the end during the perilous descent from Mount Everest.
Brian Oberle
Jul 08, 2013 Brian Oberle rated it it was amazing
The previous reviewers do an acceptable job describing this book but fail in one important aspect. The book is a creature of the time it was written and they judge it by our standards of today.

It is an excellent adventure story and I would suggest, a precursor to Steampunk. For that alone its worth a read.

There is one other volume in this series, With Airship and Submarine.

Plenty of daring-do and maidens rescued.
Beverly Warembourg
Aug 02, 2011 Beverly Warembourg rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Not my cup of tea. I guess I was expecting something else. It's basically a tale of 4-5 guys travelling in a far-fetched device for both sea and air. I thought it was going to have more of a sci-fi or fantasy feel to it, but it wasn't. Probably would be an okay movie, but didn't enjoy it as a book.
Wayne Poppleton
Wayne Poppleton rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
patrick
patrick rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Buddhahacker
Buddhahacker rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
Rick Rider
Rick Rider rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Gordon
Gordon rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
May 24, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jun 20, 2011
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2011
KyBunnies
KyBunnies marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2011
KyBunnies
KyBunnies marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2011
Beckie
Beckie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2012
Em
Em added it
Feb 09, 2012
BookishDreamer
BookishDreamer marked it as to-read
May 21, 2012
Carl Larson
Carl Larson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2012
Abra
Abra marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
George
George marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Bufo Calvin
Bufo Calvin marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Derick Tortorella
Derick Tortorella marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Jennifer Lacombe
Jennifer Lacombe marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Bill Matthews
Bill Matthews marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Paul Motsuk
Paul Motsuk marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Caela Levy
Caela Levy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Vivyenne
Vivyenne marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Sarah Gillam
Sarah Gillam marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Carrie Frey Small
Carrie Frey Small marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Chris Brooks
Chris Brooks marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
pen name of William Joseph Cosens Lancaster
More about Harry Collingwood...