Start by marking “Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1)

Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  5,807 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
Deadline is the story of a politically correct journalist forced by tragic and mysterious circumstances to come to terms with his own mortality. In the process he must also deal with the consequences of his skewed perspectives on life, family, morality, and religion. Intended for believers and unbelievers.

It portrays friendship, family, faith, morality, social decline and
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 15th 2006 by Oasis Audio (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadline

Becki
Feb 07, 2011 Becki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2011
If I could give this book less than one star, I would. It was so long and tedious, I thought I was never going to get through it. It most definitely could have been cut in half and still retained the important parts of the story.

Also, the author has some strong views, most of which I do not disagree with, but he seems to have written the story around them instead of letting them fall naturally into place. The whole story seems to be contrived to get his theology across. Yes, I get it: the media
Brian K.
Alcorn hit another one out of the park!

In this thriller you follow the investigative skills of a journalist as he tries to uncover who killed his two best friends. Friends who were as different as night and day. Friends who had secrets that Jake, the main character, knew nothing of. Even after serving in Vietnam with both of his friends and being best men at one anothers weddings, and raising children all in the same small town they grew up together in.

Follow the mystery and intrigue as Jake is
Annette
Oct 24, 2008 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I read this book from Alcorn (who coincidentally happens to be a pastor in my home town), but I remember it with great fondness as an excellent page turner with good, solid theology behind the action. The sequel "Dominion" is also excellent.
Dec 26, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When journalist Jake Woods loses his two best friends in a car accident, he works to uncover the truth about what happened the night and finds it was no accident. What he finds goes beyond a simple murder into a all-out war against Christian beliefs through mainstream media and the price that is put on a human life. Will Jake be able to solve the mystery before the final deadline?

This book had a lot of potential. The characters are well-developed and likable. The action is intense at the end. Ho
Ed
Feb 11, 2016 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I read any of Randy Alcorn novels. I read many of the reviews by other Goodreads readers and was amazed of how many gave bad reviews and how many gave great reviews. I was not disappointed. It was a great book covering heaven, abortion clinics, liberalism, and fundamentalism. I highly recommend this novel to Christians and those who think they are Christians and are not.
Christine
Jun 15, 2009 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A neighbor gave this book and the second one to me to read. It's been a little hard to get into. It's similiar to the Frank Pereti books.

Ok I give up I just can't finish this one. Seemed very contrived and while I didn't disagree necessarily with the points he was trying to make, there's only so much preaching one can handle while reading fiction.
Grampy
Apr 16, 2012 Grampy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First in a series of three by Randy Alcorn, "Dominion" and "Deception" being the other two, I highly recommend reading all three. Randy is a writer of Christian literature, but for those of you who may be turned off by the label "Christian literature", this series of three books will entertain you as suspenseful thrillers on their own merit. The Christian aspect is present, but subtle, and will not interfere with your enjoyment of three good thrillers. Randy does not write his fiction with an "i ...more
Pat
Oct 04, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book I've ever read in my life. I laughed and I cried and I missed my mom.
Vera Godley
Dec 04, 2012 Vera Godley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The primary character, Jake, works for a large city newspaper as a liberal columnist. Jake is involved in a automobile accident that takes the lives of his two best friends who have been his friends since childhood. Soon after the accident when Jake awakens to realize he is the sole survivor, the mystery begins. Being the journalist he is, he digs, probes, and leaves no stone unturned. He soon realizes that there is more involved that a simple accident.

Moving into unchartered waters for himself,
Donna
Nov 23, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a horrible, tragic accident and yet Jake can't let it go. How did he survive? The mysterious circumstances encourage him to look further, so he works with Ollie Chandler to find the truth. Will Jake survive long enough?

When an accident leaves you but takes others, it can leave you depressed and feeling broken.That happened to Jake one night, but there are some odd things, some things that don't seem to fit. Was it really simply an accident, or was there more to it? Unable to answer the qu
Jan (Husband, Dante) Zanoni
This author not only believes that life doesn't stop at death; he let's us peek into heaven in order to see what those who have died are experiencing there. Each of his characters, both those in heaven and those on earth, have distinctly different personalities. I love that they are so down to earth, with unique strengths and weaknesses mixed into each person. Watching them interact in all the twists and turns of imperfect relationships, is as satisfying as discovering the well-developed myster ...more
John
I got this from Audible several years ago, and recently re-listened to it. I really liked it. This is an explicitly Christian book, and not in any way, shape or form subtle about it. That said, I think the bluntness of it makes it work. This is the story of a man finding Christ, and the mystery/action are just details of that story.
Stacy
Sep 03, 2012 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gimme more action and less persuasion. It's not that I don't believe you could do both, but I found myself wanting to skip ahead so I could see 'whodunit'. In my own opinion, this book just had too many split personalities. I enjoyed the concept of a liberal journalist coming to terms with his one-sided writing, his hypocrisy and even morality! I wish more would! But is this a book about converting the liberals, or is it a book about coming to terms with death, or maybe solving a murder, or expl ...more
Hannah Jayne
Oct 30, 2016 Hannah Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was quite brilliant.
Also, so boring.

I struggled through the first thee hundred or so pages—but everything after that was pretty great!
It was very in depth. Which bothered me at first because it seemed pointlessly so, but the ending tied together a lot more than I thought it would.
Delayed gratification.
Very delayed.
(Probably could have been less delayed? Such a small font... so many pages... writing not quite exciting enough for you to actually want as many words as there were... oh well)

I
Rachel N
Jan 06, 2008 Rachel N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
A page-turner. Set in an Oregon city, the life of a cynical journalist takes a drastic turn when he finds himself consumed with finding out who murdered his two best buddies. Soul-searching, the power of prayer and glimpses of heaven. Mafia conspiracy, abortion activism and medical field corruption. Deadline will not only keep you turning the pages, but will open your eyes and challenge your thinking.
Barb
Jan 18, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more than likely the best book I have ever read. I am a reader and this book "knocked my socks off".

The book is a murder mystery with a spiritual side. Looking forward to reading more Randy Alcorn books.
Jim Hasson
Sep 08, 2012 Jim Hasson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, Christian or not, one of the best books Ive ever read. The views on the afterlife are astonishingly original and believable. Not to mention a taut, page turner.
Linda
Powerful book regarding living life day to day and consequences of how we will spend eternity. There were times when I struggled to get through a particular section. Times when I felt the author was too "wordy" and I became bogged down. However, the last third of the book was very good.
Ben
May 06, 2017 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randy Alcorn is een begaafd, Christelijk schrijver. Ik hou van boeken die mijn standpunten uitdagen. Deadline schrijft over pro-life en seksuele onthouding. De vraag hoe jouw In Memoriam er uit zou zien, is een vraag die me een verontrust gevoel geeft. Ben ik wel Goed bezig?
Faith
Feb 16, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadline is a gripping page turner.
Three best friends from boyhood through their days in the war are caught in a car accident on a rainy day in Oregon as they drive home from a pizza shop: a Christian businessman, Finn, an adulterous relativist, Doc, who is head of surgery at the local clinic, and a secular liberal journalist, Jake.
The only one who survives is Jake, the journalist.
The accident was murder, however. The tie rods in the car were cut. Someone was being targeted.

Was it Finn, who
Dmack
Oct 18, 2016 Dmack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-christian, family
An excellent; story; I give the book closer to a 5 than a 4 as it made me think and feel wonderful and new about a great many things especially specific aspects of The Word; the story was good as well but sometimes felt liked it digressed just a bit at times;, loved the examples of the families and how they interacted; both in Heaven and on earth; was probably my favorite part actually;
Jody
Dec 06, 2012 Jody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

From The Back Cover

Heart-Pounding Murder Mystery

Gloria
May 21, 2012 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really unsure how I feel about this book. Probably because my mind and knowledge at the age of 12 when I first read it (I think it was 12) and 28 (when I am now), is different in certain aspects, not so much in others. The book was copywritten in 1994, so I read it about three years after it was published.

The book follows Jake, a columnist. His columns have supported leftist opinions and leftist programs for most of his writing career. One afternoon, during the regular football watching get-
MichelleC
Mar 05, 2017 MichelleC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story that explores many different themes. It seemed a bit long at times because Alcorn includes alot of research-based data around the many complex issues such as abortion, sex ed, homosexuality, liberalism of the media, etc. I found the use of his imagination as it relates to what happens after one dies to be very thought-provoking and cause for me to contemplate what could be. Deadline had an exciting story line with many twists and turns. Perhaps what I liked most was the way it il ...more
BONDing over BOOKS
Secrets...some secrets can end a friendship, some secrets can begin a friendship and some secrets can have deadly consequences. In Deadline, the first novel in the Ollie Chandler three book murder mystery series by Randy Alcorn, the lives of three best friends are forever changed by such secrets.

Three boys who grew up together, experienced puberty, as well as the ravages of the Vietnam war together....men who shared everything together...or so they thought! Jake Woods, journalist for the Oregon
Matthewfryeinsightbb.com
There are some spoilerish things ahead, but nothing too specific, so be warned.

This book was about 90% Christian fiction, and 10% detective novel, so do not be deceived by the synopsis. I was really disappointed that the murder mystery was simply a sub plot that really did not amount to much, as the reader would never be able to connect the dots on their own to guess who the killer was. When the killer was revealed, I was questioning who the heck that person even was as they were mentioned for
Mindi
May 30, 2015 Mindi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A Frank Peretti quote on the cover admonishes,"There should be no ignoring the vital message of this book."

Okay, so I read the whole thing, and I am not sure what the vital message of the book happens to be. I suspect that it is the message that God and Heaven and Hell are real, and that unless you repent, you will die and go to Hell for eternity. However, that was mixed in with so many other politically based themes that it would be difficult for a person to sort that out if they did not know
Valentin Mihov
Jan 24, 2015 Valentin Mihov marked it as just-have-it  ·  review of another edition
Product Description

Heart-Pounding Murder Mystery

Involved in a tragic accident under suspicious circumstances, award-winning journalist Jake Woods teams with detective Ollie Chandler to uncover the truth. This alluring repackage of the R andy Alcorn bestseller finds Jake drawing upon all his resources in an ever-intensifying, dangerous murder investigation. Unaware of the imminent threat to his own life, Jake struggles for answers to the mystery at hand and is plunged into a deeper search for

Victor Gentile
Dec 06, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Randy Alcorn in his new book, “Deadline” Book One in the Ollie Chandler series published by Multnomah Books brings us into the life of Jake Woods.

From the back cover: His Body Hung Suspended Between Two Friends–His Soul Between Two Worlds

Doc’s shoulder jammed into Jake as he swerved the Suburban sharply to the right, cut between a telephone pole and a billboard, then careened into a ten-foot high embankment. Sometime between the sound of Doc’s last cry and the sickening crunch of bent metal from
Amber
Dec 27, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadline is a raw and honest look at the age old adage - you reap what you sow. It is a story that will live with you long after you have finished reading the last page. The intensity of this journey will shock and wake you up from your lethargic existence and make you reconsider not only your life but the lives of those around you. This is not a book for the faint of heart, but it is a book that everyone needs to read and mull over for the truth hidden underneath the sham of the glam and glitte ...more
  • The Veritas Conflict
  • Riven
  • The List
  • Heaven's Wager (Martyr's Song, #1)
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • Shoofly Pie (Bug Man, #1)
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1)
  • Dead Heat (The Last Jihad, #5)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • False Witness
  • Scream
  • The Great Divide
  • Book of Days
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...

Ollie Chandler (4 books)
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
  • Ollie Chandler Collection: Three Novels: Deadline, Dominion, Deception

“Am I getting braver, or just getting accustomed to being terrified?” 17 likes
“Good for you Woods. You're not as dumb as you look. Come to think of it, no one's as dumb as you look.” 4 likes