Start by marking “The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle, #6)

The Eagle's Prophecy (Eagle #6)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,414 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
It is AD 45, and Macro and Cato are in Rome, waiting for their involvement in a fellow officer’s death to be investigated. But is is not just their future that hangs in the balance. Ruthless pirates have captured three scrolls vital to the future of Rome. The devious Imperial Secretary, Narcissus, orders Macro, Cato and their old enemy Vitellius to set sail with the imperi ...more
Published 2006 by Headline (first published 2005)

The Only Good Roman by Christine Elaine BlackI, Claudius by Robert GravesRoma by Steven SaylorThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCulloughImperium by Robert   Harris
Ancient Rome - The Best And The Rest
34th out of 219 books — 97 voters
I, the Sun by Janet E. MorrisGates of Fire by Steven PressfieldGenghis by Conn IgguldenThe Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisGenghis by Conn Iggulden
Historical Military Fiction
28th out of 120 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean Poulos
This is book six in the series. I have been able to read only episodes one and three as Audible does not carry the other volumes. The year is 45 AD; Centurions Marco and Cato are in Rome awaiting the results of an official investigation of the death of a fellow officer in Britain. Cato may face a death sentence. Imperial Secretary Narcissus sends Marco and Cato on a special mission to rescue an Imperial agent captured by Illyrian pirates and return the Delphic Scrolls the agent was carrying.
The
Olethros
-Cambiando escenario pero ni un ápice la propuesta.-

Género. Novela histórica (por clasificarla, no porque lo sea realmente).

Lo que nos cuenta. Un asalto pirata en las costas de Rávena pone en manos del comandante de los delincuentes marinos unos rollos de pergamino de mucha importancia. Cato y Macro, ya centuriones, están en Roma tras dos años de combates en Britania en espera de recibir nuevas órdenes de destino y descubren que lo sucedido en la fría y húmeda isla durante cierto motín y la prop
Redfox5
Cato and Macro are done with Britain and are back in Rome awaiting a posting elsewhere, however the whole death penalty thing rears it's ugly head and they are sent on a secret mission by Narcissus to redeem themselves. This mission just happens to be lead by Vitellius, the bad guy from the first couple of books that never seems to get his comeuppance. This time the guys are against Pirates, which was a nice change from the British tribes. The plot was okay with this one but it had a stupid side ...more
randy sharpsteen
No synopsis here...

First of all, I'm not a scholar nor an intellectual. I am proud to consider myself as simply a reader. Since I was first captivated by 'David and the Phoenix' in primary school I have loved the magic and mystery so easily found in books. Pulitzer Prize-winning works on the civil war, best sellers, fiction and non-fiction, I continue to revel in nearly all genres. In historical fiction, I consider Simon Scarrow one of my top ten favorites.
In this sixth book of the Cato and Macr
Paul
Aug 20, 2014 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful.

In fairness to the author, I have a strange irrationally strong dislike of any book with naval battles in it, especially ones that focus on the naval arena.

That said, this is one of the worst examples I've come across.
There is next to no intrigue, plot machinations or twists. If anything the overwhelming feeling is that there is a yawning vacuum right where the story should be. The battle scenes between the Roman navy (or 'marines') and the pirates are lacklustre & incredibly generic.
Fred
Jan 05, 2015 Fred rated it liked it
This was okay, but I think after reading six books in this series more or less straight through I may be in need of a break before I can really appreciate them again. Or, it may just not have been as good as many of the other ones. Our protagonists, Centurions Macro and Cato, are assigned to the Imperial Navy as Centurions of Marines by the powers that be. They are sent there to deal with pirates as well as accomplish a secret mission of the utmost importance to the Empire.

Old villains and alli
Steven Hodgson
Nov 04, 2014 Steven Hodgson rated it it was amazing
After the events of the last book this sees Marco and Cato leave Britain and return to Rome. In this book we quickly learn that Rome is more dangerous than the battlefield and a chance encounter in the last book comes back to haunt our two heroes. Within this book we find out more about how Rome is run and the lengths some people will go to, too ensure they stay in the Emperors good books. Although this book is mainly set at sea what happens on land has a big effect on our heroes and a blast for ...more
Deborah Pickstone
Usual enjoyable mayhem. Vitellius reappears and bears even more of a resemblance to a pantomime Sheriff of Nottingham, though. Not sure why Scarrow singled him out to be the bad guy - guess that will come clear when we get to the Year of the Four Emperors........if our heroes have survived and are not crippled by arthritis by then!
Birgitta Hoffmann
Feb 25, 2014 Birgitta Hoffmann rated it did not like it
A book set in the context of the Roman army should have at least some factual relationship to its narrated topic. This purports to be the story of two legionary centurions seconded to the Ravennate fleet to hunt down a pirate menace taking over the Adriatic, who has actually also managed to acquire three of the Sybilline books. In addition, the commanders of the Ravennate fleet during the reign of Claudius are - wait for it ------VITELLIUS AND VESPASIAN. This is utterly unbelievable.
Please allo
Nuno Silva
Sep 22, 2015 Nuno Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Já está a ficar habitual dizer bem de Simon Scarrow e da saga da Águia... e diga-se em verdade que esse hábito é bem merecido.
O livro é excelente, sempre com bastante ação, intriga, heroismo e também alguma comédia.
Sim, dei por mim a rir-me às gargalhadas com os dois amigos Macro e Cato, o que só me faz gostar cada vez mais quer da escrita do autor, quer do desenrolar da história, já que faz do leitor um quase participante no enredo.

Desta vez os dois centuriões têm que encontrar e trazer de volt
Luka Novak
Our two heroes found themselves in bad situation after their adventures in Britannia. Sentence passed in previous book is still technically pending so our heroes must tread carefully. Also there was a murky situation regarding death of a senior officer.

Which in turn means Cato and MAcro are easy picking for Narcissus, Emperor's secretary/spy chief. The couple are sent to Illyria (modern day Croatia) to recover scrolls that threaten to topple the Empire. Of course such empire-toppling threads are
Tony
Sep 29, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it
Simon Scarrow- The Eagle’s Prophecy 4.25 Stars

In AD 45 centurions Macro and Cato, are being told that they must go on a deadly mission or be executed. A large group of vicious pirates have come into possession of scrolls that could destroy Rome if they see the light of day. Now Macro and Cato must go with a group of troops to try to get the scrolls back and save Rome. If they are successful, they can have there lives back. It seems like a suicide mission, but what choice do they have?

This book h
Nathan Trachta
Feb 17, 2011 Nathan Trachta rated it really liked it
Macro and Cato are back at it, having survived the Celts in Briton they’ve returned to Rome for reassignment. Rather than being assigned to a legion however, Narcissus (knowing what was to happen to Cato) calls the boys in to work on a special task for Rome (to “forgive” their transgressions against Rome); with Vitellius (you can read about Vitellius in Under the Eagle). It seems there’s some scrolls that predict the future of Rome and her emperors that’s in the hands of some pirates and Narciss ...more
Jason Golomb
Simon Scarrow's sixth installment of his "Eagle" story follows Centurions Macro and Cato during a transitional phase in the threaded storyline of this Sand and Sandals series. In the last book, "The Eagle's Prey", our heroes were banished from the war front in Britannia, where the majority of the previous five books took place. "Prophecy" centers on Rome's battle against piracy in and around the northeast Italian coast while providing a launch pad for our characters to explore the further reache ...more
Mark Muckerman
Dec 27, 2011 Mark Muckerman rated it really liked it
Scarrow delivers another excellent installment in the continuing adventures of Macro and Cato. After repatriation back to Rome for their own safety following the questionable events in Britainia, our protagonists find themselves languishing in uncertainty, with no posting, and no future in sight. Down to their last sestarae and with no prospects, their path once again crosses that of Narcissus, who tasks (blackmails?) them into a top secret assignment suited for two veterans of their "unique" re ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Naked ambition, political intrigue, domestic strife, death - there's a lot of death... I've often considered war at sea to be a murderous activity - if you don't get killed or injured you're still in danger of drowning (isn't it true that many sailors don't learn to swim because there's no point in delaying the inevitable?). It really must have been an even more hazardous occupation - to be a marine or sailor - back in the days of wooden tubs that could hardly keep afloat on a boating lake.
Simon
Colin
Jan 23, 2013 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Another great book in this series. In this adventure Cato and Macro have less time in land battles and more time sneaking about and experiencing seafaring. In this sense it makes things quite interesting in that the setting has changed a lot.

Nonetheless expect to see all the usual things you love and hate with the series, never a shortage of Cato and Macro felling insurmountable amounts of foes through gritted teeth with bile rising up their throats (well, just Cato's). Some people complain some
David Campton
Oct 15, 2011 David Campton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back on the march with Centurions Macro and Cato, or at least would be if they hadn't been temporarily assigned to the marines to deal with a spot of piracy, after being sent home from Britain with a bit of a cloud hanging over them. I must say there is an extent to which credulity is being stretched to breaking point here with our two heroes just being in the right place at the right time to take part in all of Rome's significant conflicts at that time... But it is still a "rattling good read" ...more
Jordan Mowry
Apr 01, 2016 Jordan Mowry rated it it was amazing
Pirates, marines, condemned centurions, a treacherous aristocrat, and a secret mission to save the the invaluable delphic scrolls. How can you beat that? What a page turner! This was an amazing book. Absolutely brilliant. I loved the plot and the characters.
Christian Kessler
Jul 02, 2015 Christian Kessler rated it liked it
the setting has changed.

after a lot of footwork macro and cato are forced into the wet business: they have to join the marines to root out a pirate base.

it is a refreshing change of setting and understandably most of the veteran readers will dislike it.

Amjid
Another good book in the series. Really liking Simons fight scenes, very well described. Good to see our heros re-united with their enemy Vitellius and commander Vespasian. An enjoyable story on the high seas where our heros chase down pirates, and recapture some scrolls.

A nice small side story with regards to Macro's parents. Although it wasnt much of a surprise, when Simon decided to reveal that Macros mother had done a runner when he was young lad. Would have been better if he mentioned nothi
Ricardo
Once again we follow the ordeals of centurions Cato and Macro.
In this book we accompany the two characters (finally) away from Britannia and in Roman Territory.
We also see the return of old acquaintance the tribune Vitelius and the conspiracy group The Liberators.
The novelty in this book is that instead of fighting among the roman Legions, this time Cato and Macro are a part of the Roman Imperial Navy.
This is a breath of fresh air as we now see details of another component of the Roman warfare n
Steffen
Jan 19, 2015 Steffen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leest als een film, vermaak zonder pretenties, on par met de rest van de serie.
Donna Jo Atwood
Macro and Cato are two Roman soldiers around the time of the Emperor Claudius. The first two I read were set in Roman England, but in this one they have been sent back to Rome and are under a death sentence. They are sent out to recover items that have been captured by pirates, so we get some sea scenes here. They are not the only ones in pursuit of the missing items and the sea soon turns red from the flowing blood.
Actually, not a bad action book. I read somewhere that part of the series (9 boo
Brian
Apr 05, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Something that some people may find odd is the use of (very) modern English idioms at times. Occasionally it feels like a parody and yet, somehow, it works. (And when you think about it, they would be speaking Latin or Greek, not any form of English, modern or otherwise. So any English version is 'wrong'!)

I have read several Scarrow books in quick succession and am looking for more. Not being an expert on Roman (or Napoleonic) history I can't vouch for their accuracy,
George Riggs
Good book. Like the Cato series
Asif
Jul 07, 2014 Asif rated it it was amazing
Best book of the series so far
Steve
Nov 05, 2013 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Very quick page turners, great books to read for a simple straight forward adventure. The books description of the combat scenes are very cool. The books get very repetitive, Cato pulls everyone butts out of the fire, doesn't get the credit he deserves, Marco is a tough guy,last minute escapes one after another.

It reminds me of a TV show like Zena warrior princess, same stuff every episode with little or no advances in a larger story line. That being said, still a fun read.
Andrew Komissarov
Nov 14, 2012 Andrew Komissarov rated it really liked it
The roman fleet and the great naval battles performed by marines of the Empire were left in the dark by most authors. Now finally Simon Scarrow brings his favourite duo of centurions Marco and Cato into a rip-roaring naval adventure to vanquish the pirate threat on the Illirian coast and retrieve the sacred Sybilline scrolls holding all the prophecies on the future of The Empire. Full of intrigue, and live action this novel is yet another jewel in Scarrows roman crown.
Nathan
Sep 20, 2008 Nathan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history fans, Roman fans
Macro and Cato are taken away from the legions that they know and love and are forced to work for an old nemesis outside of the legions. Things are getting decidedly more political in this book, and Scarrow is obviously building towards something big... (My guess... it involves this recurring character named Vespasisan....) *WINK*

Overall a fun and fast read and good historical fiction.
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • Rome's Executioner (Vespasian, #2)
  • Defender of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #2)
  • Gallia Invicta (Marius' Mules, #3)
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen
More about Simon Scarrow...

Eagle (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1)
  • The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2)
  • When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3)
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • The Eagle's Prey (Eagle, #5)
  • The Eagle in the Sand (Eagle, #7)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)
  • The Legion (Eagle, #10)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)