The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)

The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle #4)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,033 ratings  ·  55 reviews
In the summer of AD 44, tense undercurrents amongst the tribe of nominally friendly Atrebatans are ready to explode into open revolt. It falls to Centurions Macro and Cato to provide aged ruler Verica with an army. With a scratch force of raw recruits, unversed in the techniques of war, they must find and destroy a cunning opponent. But can they do this whilst surviving th...more
Paperback
Published July 5th 2004 by Headline Book Publishing (first published 2003)

The Only Good Roman by Christine Elaine BlackImperium by Robert HarrisRoma by Steven SaylorThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCulloughI, Claudius by Robert Graves
Ancient Rome - The Best And The Rest
20th out of 191 books — 70 voters
The Silver Pigs by Lindsey DavisThe Agricola and the Germania by TacitusClaudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert GravesArthur's Britain by Leslie AlcockThe Celts by Nora Chadwick
Roman Britain
18th out of 60 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Redfox5
I spent ages looking for 'When The Eagle Hunts' only to realise that I don't actually own it. I skipped to this one and don't feel like I've missed much. We are still in Britian, still fighting the natives. Cato has been given a promotion and Flavia seems to have disappeared. I was disappointed about this because I wanted to know more about the plots she was involved with. There are no women in this book! Well apart from the young girl the wrinkly old king is shagging although she only features...more
Ed
Feb 12, 2011 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction and Roman History Fans
I had hoped to avoid reading the books in this series out of order. No luck as I got my hands on #4 before I was able to acquire #3. Turns out that while there are hints as to what happened in Volume 3, nevertheless, I'm convinced what I know won't spoil the story.

One of the reasons for this is that the series is character driven with Centurion Macro and newly promoted Centurion Cato providing the glue that holds everything together, while well drawn villains and heroes come and go, these two en...more
Olethros
-Dentro de lo repetitivo, alguna idea tan novedosa como improbable.-

Género. Novela histórica.

Lo que nos cuenta. La conquista de Britania por parte de Roma está siendo mucho más lenta y dura de lo que habían supuesto los romanos por la enconada resistencia local que incluso llega a atacar una columna al mando del legado Vespasiano. Catro y Macro, actualmente centuriones, participarán en el acercamiento a grupos locales más permeables a Roma y en su entrenamiento militar como auxilia en los que po...more
Iceman
Neste 4º volume das aventuras de Macro e Cato, série que Simon Scarrow dedica ao império romano na sua Série Águia, a localização da acção situasse nas ilhas britânicas no ano 44 d.C. quando, no segundo verão da campanha para a conquista da Britânia, Cato e Macro vêm-se no papel de comandantes de duas coortes de guerreiros locais aliados de Roma, os Atrébates.

O imperador Cláudio havia nomeado no anterior o General Aulo Pláucio que, com o apoio do rei dos Atrébates, Vérica, conquistasse e pacific...more
Luka Novak
Adventures of Cato and Macro continue. While recovering from wounds sustained in third book the couple are thrust into independant command. They must train and lead native cohorts to help Romans secure their lines of comunication. Resistance to Roman rule is far from over and as their enemies continue with guerilla warfare, attacking their supply lines, Romans find themselves in unenviable position. If leader of resistance is able to unhinge their position entire campaign will collapse.

This book...more
Alasandra Alawine
Macro and Cato are on the mend and they have been left in Calleva to train two cohorts of Atrebatans to protect the supply lines from Durotrigan raiders. Cato gets off on the wrong foot with Prince Artax and never truly sees him as the honorable man he is. This has serious consequences later in the book.

Prince Tincommius on the other hand goes out of his way to make himself agreeable to Macro and Cato. Oddly enough Macro is suspicious of him and keeps him in his own cohort (The Boars) where he...more
Nathan Trachta
Mr. Scarrow’s Under the Eagle series has been a real joy to me; action and adventure blended nicely into Roman times, told ala the Sharpes Rifles series. Anyway, The Eagle and the Wolves finds our heroes Macro and Cato having recovered from their wounds and ready for further assignments with the 2nd Legion; in this case, training local Celts to function as auxila to protect the 2nd Legions supply lines and their homes.

The Eagle and the Wolves was a nice pickup from When Eagles Hunt. We see more...more
Yun Ting
Especially liked this book because it demonstrated how one's effort in understanding another person can help to foster close relationships despite fundamental differences in culture, which appears to still be an issue in modern society. The Wolves' loyalty to their Cato and Figulus appears to hint at the fact that making peace with the natives in Britian is possible, but once again we see such peaceful conclusions being destroyed by political agendas.
Colin
Another great adventure for Cato and Macro. Once again, as with the last book The Eagle and the Wolves, Scarrow manages to keep things interesting yet again by throwing in some different types of hurdles for the two to overcome.

The first half of the book is fairly plodding and involves Cato and Macro training new men but it is all in aid for a powerful delivery with a lot of action and combat at the end. There's a good amount of back stabbing and scheming going on between some of the characters...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
This is a good read - it pulls you in and holds you. I couldn't put it down. The difficulties faced by the Romans, the dilemas faced by the atrebates, the political intigues in both camps.... there was something almost universal about the story. I love the way Simon Scarrow has based his Roman Legionaries on the Sergeant Majors of the Victorian British Army (indeed there seemed to be a lot of "Zulu" here); stiff-necked, very proper, polite yet forceful ("Now, there's a good gentleman"). Cato and...more
Alison
Book 4 of the Adventures of Cato and Macro. Darned good Rollicking Read. You know they'll survive (because there are books and books more to go, and Simon Scarrow, unlike George Martin, doesn't kill his heroes half way through), but it's all good fun.
Tony
This book had some really intense battle scenes, and I love the pairing of Macro and Cato. However he does have better installments in this series. It took this book a little longer than usual to get going. If this had been the first book I had picked up from this series I likely wouldn't have kept going with the series.
William Bates
Its a solid cato and macro installment in which they get to train their own auxiliary cohorts but all is not as it seems
TheIron Paw
A good (but not great) military history novel providing an interesting depiction of the Roman army during the conquest of Britain. It is well researched in regards to the organization and tactics of the Roman army and appears well researched in regards to the Roman invasion of Britain (I can't be more definite about that since my knowledge of that is very limited. All this is done in the context of a good straightforward military thriller that border on a spy novel or whodunit at times.
Steve
Very quick page turners, great books to read for a simple straight forward adventure. The books description of the combat scenes are very cool. The books get very repetitive, Cato pulls everyone butts out of the fire, doesn't get the credit he deserves, Marco is a tough guy,last minute escapes one after another.

It reminds me of a TV show like Zena warrior princess, same stuff every episode with little or no advances in a larger story line. That being said, still a fun read.
Justin
Good, but not the best in the series so far. The battle sequences (of which there are MANY) get repetitive and Macro and Cato's uncanny ability to survive repeatedly hopeless odds starts to wear a bit thin. However, the imagery is vibrant, the larger historical plot remains intact and thick and there are some real points of dramatic tension in places. As a result the pages turn quickly. On to book #5
Jane
The fourth instalment and we're still in Briton. The ancient British tribes come into their own this time around. Simon has an uncanny knack of bringing history to life. The loveable rogue Macro and the young and highly honourable Cato definitely have a father son type relationship now which makes you care about the characters a lot more,even if neither man would admit to such closeness. The series is a fascinating page turner.
Fredrik
The Eagle and the Wolves has, for me at least, been the least entertaining of the Eagle-books.
I don't really know what it was, but something made me not wanna keep reading.
But I finally finished, and although I didn't like this book that much (though it DID have it's awesome and exciting moments!) I am really looking forward to keep reading about Macro and Cato in the upcoming Eagle-books.

Graham
Another blood and guts romp by Marco and Cato through first century Britain, slaughtering as many locals as they can as they invade. The way they tell it the Romans are the goodies and the barbaric Britons under Caractatus are the evil baddies. However you can't help but like them and their bloodthirsty ways.

Once again really well written by Simon Scarrow. I must go out and find the next one
Nathan
Sep 20, 2008 Nathan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans, roman fans
Another fun romp through ancient Britain with centurions Macro and Cato. This one takes perhaps a bit more license historically than the others, but still doesn't stretch the suspension of disbelief. The characters are getting more complex and it's obvious from the way that this book develops and ends that it's setting you up for the next one, even while you're getting a complete story.
Gonçalo Almeida
Nada de especial...
Alberto Martín de Hijas
Este cuarto libro mantiene el mismo estilo, simple pero efectivo del resto de la serie: batallas desesperadas, bretones en la niebla, un fondo de conspiración y las interferencias y corrupción de las autoridades romanas. Para los que nos gusta la serie está muy bien, pero hay que reconocer que no se sale de la misma fórmula que los otros tres libros.
Vivien Young
What I like best about books by Simon Scarrow is how he (mostly) cunningly hides his knowledge of Roman Britain and ancient civilisations under the good buddy format of his novels.
All the same, I always enjoy a little romp through the Roman Empire and especially when the iron control slips and Scarrow zooms off on a history geek fuelled fugue.
David Campton
The more I read of this series the more I recognise not only the superb historical accuracy (with a little literary leniency) but also the subtle social and political commentary on our own times, this time the tensions between a imperial military operation, and the attempt to win hearts and minds. An excellent addition to an excellent series.
William Axtell
This is really Scarrow back to his best! It's all here, intense battles, intrigue and above all a huge does of sardonic, sarcastic humour. The interplay between Macro and Cato is perhaps the best I have seen it yet, with the two now bouncing more freely off each other now they both have the rank of centurion. Terrific book.
Richard Jacoby
While I did enjoy this book, I found that I had a little more difficulty getting into it as opposed to the first three books in the series. I will likely continue reading the series, but I am someone who enjoys consuming a good series. This is someone who has read all 23 of the "Sharpe's Rifles" series.
Catherine
another great read
Graham
been a long week at work, so to escape to Roman Britain was a joy. Macro and Cato have a tricky job training up British troops, protecting a king, navigating political situations, and dealing with betrayals, lies, sieges, ruses, ambition and arrogance. such a good series, love these books.
Diane
I had started to read something else and stopped because I bought this... ok... so I'm borderline obsessed. The maturing of Cato and the complications of being Romans in Britain continue. Scarrow keeps you wanting to know more....and gives you just enough to keep you hooked.
Dawn
I think with book number four Scarrow has improved his storytelling enough to give a 4 star.
I have always liked Macro and Cato. They are a great team and their adventures in Britain are great fun with some wonderful history as their setting.
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • Marius' Mules: The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth (Rome, #3)
  • The Gods of War (Emperor, #4)
  • Sharpe's Battle (Sharpe, #12)
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen...more
More about Simon Scarrow...
Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1) When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3) The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2) Centurion (Eagle, #8) The Eagle's Prey (Eagle, #5)