Start by marking “The Thin Commandments Diet: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss (Random House Large Print (Cloth/Paper))” as Want to Read:

Calories are only half of the weight-loss equation ... welcome to the other half.

In The Thin Commandments Diet, Dr. Stephen Gullo lets you in on his unique weight-loss program that has a success rate that is many times higher than the national average. His two-part approach replaces willpower with strategy and deprivation dining with great-tasting gourmet fare.

In the fir

Hardcover, Large Print, 576 pages
Published January 4th 2005 by Random House Large Print (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Thin Commandments Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thin Commandments Diet

Shannon
Aug 01, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting tips but he pushes mostly no-fat, diet crap food.
p.s. Dick P. lost 47lbs following this book:)
Kewannah "Health Kick Chick"
This book is great. I love Dr. Gullo's approach to weight loss as it's a no-nonsense scientific approach. It's all mental so focus on your strategy and less about building will power. The first few lines of the book are key "dieting is about losing weight. Food strategy is about ending the problem." Gullo says your struggle with weight is less about your calories but your history with certain foods. Do you polish off every spoonful of ice cream? Then don't assume that you can live with it in you ...more
Kay
Meh. It was just okay. The author had nothing really that new to tell me, though he kept insisting that his approach was novel. I already keep a food diary and am familiar with my trigger foods. And I think he overstates the claims for dairy and other foods that are helpful while dieting.

While it was useful to hear Gullo's advice in audio form, as it can never hurt having to focus on what we all need to do, he made a big mistake reading this book himself. A motivational book needs a motivating
Jenna
Mar 20, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The strength of the Thin Commandments is in strategies for handling difficult situations. I think the meal plan was kind of funky & could never really get into it. However, the concept of making a plan to deal with foods that you have a history of abusing is smart. One of the ideas that I especially liked was "box it in, box it out" - set occasions or locations for eating certain foods - apple pie only at Thanksgiving dinner would be an example. Read this years ago & skimmed it last week ...more
Susan Bybee
Oct 17, 2013 Susan Bybee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little repetitious, but I appreciated how Gullo deals with the mindsets that go along with dieting. Instead of willpower, he recommends having strategies to avoid temptations. He details when the trouble times are most likely to occur, and offers strategies to help.
Terri Richardson
Jul 16, 2015 Terri Richardson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some excellent suggestions for those wanting to lose weight. the book sheds new light on why we fail at dieting and gives a host of strategies to combat the difficulties often experienced by those who try to lose weight.
Patti Dunegan
Aug 18, 2013 Patti Dunegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good psychological strategies to keep you armed with what you need to do to stay on track. Don't agree with his suggestions to consume anything labeled "lite" or "non fat" because I've read the science that supports good healthy fats. Other than that, it's right in the mark!!
Abby
Aug 29, 2007 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone struggling with weight issues
Everything in this book should be common sense, but somehow I didn't really understand it. I have passed it on to several people and they also felt that it had valuable knowledge.
Susan
Oct 03, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deals with more of the psychology of why we choose to overeat than most "diet" books. It's a manual for lifestyle change. Heads and shoulders above fad diet books.
Belinda
Belinda rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Kavi
Kavi rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Corrie Beebe
Corrie Beebe rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2009
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Dana Dee
Dana Dee rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Erin
Jan 19, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheesy clever way to present the idea of: eat less, exercise more...lose weight.
Manal  Marghalani
Manal Marghalani rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Kim Geiger
Kim Geiger rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Carrie Doyle
Carrie Doyle rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2012
Lisa Honey
Lisa Honey rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Barbara Skuplik
Barbara Skuplik rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2011
Brenda Arlia
Brenda Arlia rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Margaret Dee
Jul 07, 2009 Margaret Dee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not get into this.
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Nisha Rai
Nisha Rai rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Mark Perry
Mark Perry rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Mark Jacobsen
Mark Jacobsen rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Avery More
Avery More rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014