Start by marking “Living By The Book” as Want to Read:
Living By The Book

Living By The Book

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Principles and procedures that will make your personal Bible study more fruitful and productive. You'll be challenged to read more closely and probe more deeply, and you'll learn how to make key observations that will bring fresh application to your life.
Published July 22nd 1993 by Moody Publishers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Living By The Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living By The Book

Charles Jr.
This is a must have on your shelf if you have a desire to understand the Bible with clarity. I have read through this book over and over again, but I always glean some valuable golden nuggets everytime I read it.
Kimba
To read the bible more intelligently.
Trevor
Hendricks writes both for the theologian and the novice Bible reader. He's clear, simple, and profoundly helpful in understanding how to appropriately read the Bible in the context of its original audience and meaning. This book was required reading for my seminary courses and, thus, I assumed it would be lofty in its presentation. However, Hendricks has a knack for making what would otherwise be complex ideas quite simple and accessible to every reader, regardless of age, background, or educati ...more
Joey
Great book for learning the basics of how to study the bible in such a way that it will bring about life change. Looks in depth at how to observe, interpret, and apply the Word of God.
Kindra
Not an easy read. It takes more of a teaching approach, and is very thorough. Highly recommend if you want to learn how to "study" the Bible.
Iris
Living by the Book teaches one how to study the Bible on one’s own. It focuses on three key steps: observation, interpretation, and application. For each step there are chapters that break the steps down into manageable ideas. Each chapter also offers suggestions for practice.

The important idea in observation is to read the text well. The Hendrickses offer ten ideas on ways to read carefully. They also point out things that should be looked for: thing that are emphasized, repeated, related, com
Terry Moffitt
Best book on Bible Study I have ever used.
Esther
Easy, practical method on how to study the Bible.
Trish
Very clear and well written.
Mikey
I took a class at Moody Bible Institute in 2001 called "Elements of Bible Study". It was an "intro to hermeneutics class" and they used this as a Textbook for the class. I did enjoy the class and this book was easy to go through.
(view spoiler)
Dean
Living By The Book is popular in the general evangelical Protestant population. Howard G. Hendricks claims to have "a simple proven process" of training a layperson to study the Bible. How does such a process take 48 Chapters in a book that is now in its 6th Edition?

While the Book does contain some educational lessons about reading in general it fails miserably in incorporating a solid understanding of God (Theology) and sinks into the realm of Neo-Orthodoxy by placing the reader in danger of eq
Jessica Lowery
If there is ever someone who complains that they hate inductive study, or can't get into it/can't get anything out of it --- there is another way to study outlined in this book that gets to the same result.
Hendricks says that there are 3 steps to understanding Bible passages: Observation, Interpretation, and Application.
He begins with observation=
His chapters on this initial step center around two lists that he developed. The first has to do with our attitude and outlook as we approach reading
Gregory
Excellent! A life changer...THE book I had been looking for for so long...the material was not new to me, but the payoff was in the explanations and the "You Try It"

3/5/2011:
Second reading of this life-changing book. Now I will begin using the principles learned by studying a book month (didn't quite make it, but am doing each book as we study it at church (http://www.veritascedarrapids.com/). Next step is to do the remaining "You Try It" sections that I have not yet done.
Debi
Fantastic book for learning how to study the Bible for yourself!

"The Bible was not written to satisfy your curiosity; it was written to transform your life. The ultimate goal of Bible study, then, is not to do something to the Bible, but to allow the Bible to do something to you, so truth becomes tangent to life. You see, we frequently come to the Bible to study it, to teach it, to preach it, to outline it - everything except to be changed by it."

"...God gives us His Word not to make us comforta
Trayce A Cox
Good for any religious background

A wonderful and balanced look at how to read your bible with observation, interpretation, and the most challenging of all application. I am Catholic and I found this to be an amazing and easily applicable guide. Would also strongly recommend the workbook.
Patrick S.
Hendricks adds his charm and teaching style into providing a well rounded approach to not just studying The Bible, but could also apply to studying anything. However, the book has specific application to The Bible. Broken into three sections, Hendricks focuses your attention on what to read, how to read, and how to apply what you read. This is a good book for any young Christian or young person who is starting to take their Bible reading to a deeper level. If you are well established in the fait ...more
Stevie
Contribution: The Hendricks’ book is one of the most comprehensive books on Bible study I have read and surveyed. By addressing each step in the inductive method process, there is no doubt as to what each step entails and requires for orthodox interpretation. In addition, the examples and exercises in the chapters give the reader a chance to both see and do the step explained. In addition to the inductive method, the Hendricks’ even address the nature of reading and how the Bible can be understo ...more
Eric
Mar 22, 2014 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Persons interested in Bible study
Recommended to Eric by: Genny George
Outstanding, straightforward, easy to grasp. Most important, author continues to emphasize purpose of Bible study is to obey what it says, to become more like Jesus, and to be able to tell others about Him.
Jeremy
May 19, 2012 Jeremy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeremy by: Matt Chandler
I enjoyed this "textbook" on how to get the most out of reading and studying the Bible. The author, Howard Hendricks takes a very practical and methodical approach to Bible study and this matches up well to my personality. Although the bulk of the book is concerned with the observation and interpretation stages of study, the author makes it clear that the application stage is the most important and also the most difficult to implement. Again, this is another book I wish I was aware of earlier in ...more
Caleb
Hendricks's book is ideally suited for a Christian's long-term study on how to study the Bible for himself. It could work very well as a one-on-one or group study, as well. The chapters are bite-size, and almost every concept has an associated "You Try It" exercise. The concepts are anything but trite, however. Particularly helpful is his breaking down of the process of Bible study into three steps: observe, interpret, apply. Plenty of "gem" concepts and quotes along the way. A good blend of spo ...more
Carole
This book has helped me immensely in studying the bible. It's the best bible study book I have found so far.
Lisa
This tremendously helpful book is also a very easy read. It starts with the basics such as why people aren't studying the Bible and why they should and continues to explain how to study the Bible in small, simple steps. Chapters are short, covering just one aspect of study, and conclude with an exercise to practice what you've just been taught. Whether you're a novice or a seasoned Bible student, "Living By the Book" has something beneficial waiting for you.
Sean Higgins
I know of no better resource to help someone study their own (English) copy of God's Word than this book.

I've used it as a textbook for five, year-long high school freshmen classes and given it away at one-day study seminar for Christians of every age. Any student who masters the Observation, Interpretation, Application steps will be ready to be equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
Mike E.
Dec 28, 2009 Mike E. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who love God's work and have not learned Hebrew or Greek
If you have not taken an inductive Bible study course at a Christian college or seminary I would say just order this book and use it to learn skills to mine the riches of God's Word. The book's strength and weakness are the same. It is comprehensive and could be more concise, but this is sort of a reference book and so brevity is not a key criterion.
Linda
good resource book. It seems to be written for an academic setting. Provides a step by step approach to studying the Bible and understanding the meaning in context. A tool to help us resist the temptation to read into Scripture what we think it says or what we want it to say.
Tomtg
An amazing book on Bible study. Written for the lay-person to jump start his or her personal Bible study. The methods are clear. The writing is engaging. Highly recommended to anyone looking to dive into Bible study for themselves.
Ann
A must read for anyone who realizes the Bible is a living book, and wants to study it more profoundly than just a surface read. Well written, clear and easy to follow instructions on how to do inductive Bible study.
Jim
Such a great book filled with tons of practical methods and wisdom about getting into the Bible and reading it how it's supposed to be read. A great resource for anyone who wants to get more out of their reading.
Valentina
Great to read for those who have never known how to study the Bible properly and for those who need a reminder.
It goes through the processes of proper exegesis and heterogeneous step by step.
Great book.
Craig
Best book I've ever read on studying the Bible. Hendricks is a master teacher, and his three-step Bible study method (observe, interpret, apply) is the one I use all the dadgum time. Extremely helpful book.
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • Reading Between the Lines
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
  • How to Study Your Bible
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • For the Love of God: Volume One: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • He Is Not Silent: Preaching in a Postmodern World
  • Basic Bible Interpretation
  • The Lost Art of Disciple Making
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive As Iron Sharpens Iron: Building Character in a Mentoring Relationship Living by the Book Set Living By the Book Workbook: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible Say It With Love