Start by marking “The Seven Deadly Sins of Small Group Ministry: A Troubleshooting Guide for Church Leaders” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This title provides a troubleshooting guide for Church leaders. It has an assessment and solution for seven common obstacles to building small groups.
Published September 29th 2002 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Deadly Sins of Small Group Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Deadly Sins of Small Group Ministry

Andrew Barlow
Jul 12, 2012 Andrew Barlow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this bok an extremely helpful tool in thinking through small group principles and methods. Donahue and Robinson are both Willow Creek gurus and bring years of (sometimes painful) experience to the book. Though most reading this book will have a much smaller ministry scope than WIllow Creek, the principles nevertheless apply: (1) have clear ministry objectives, (2) Pick the right point man, (3) Develop a healthy coaching structure, (4) Develop new leaders constantly, (5) Open-group (this ...more
Aaron
Feb 09, 2008 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people involved in really big churches with small group ministries
Wow. Lots of information I don't quite need. This is geared more towards guys who are part of small group ministries in churches of hundreds of people (maybe), if not thousands of people (more like it).

We have a church of tens of people (upwards of 3 or 4 tens). A lot of "rules" this book give don't apply at this size. They can't. Like the "rule" about having a dedicated coaching staff to coach your small group leaders. We only have two small groups! And we have three leaders! I'm sure it would
Peter Schott
Jan 27, 2011 Peter Schott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to read if your church is at any stage of using small groups. The seven most common problems are addressed and solutions proposed. I only wish there were some downloadable forms to help the church fill out some ideas as they work through the book or perhaps some questions to help evaluate.

There are more details about small groups in their other books so will likely pick up those to read in the future.
Tad Savoy
Feb 19, 2015 Tad Savoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book when I took the Small Groups Pastor position at my church. I found this book to be very insightful and helped me to wrap my mind around Small Group ministry. Donahue and Robinson helped me to prioritize my actions and made for a fairly smooth transition in the ministry. I highly recommend this book for any Small Group pastors.
Brent
Jun 28, 2009 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful guide from the leaders of Willow Creek’s Small Group ministry. The authors honestly report the insights they have gained from the many years of the evolution of their church’s ministry through small groups. There’s a lot I agree with in their inclusive and realistic style of ministry.
Brad Francis
Apr 29, 2013 Brad Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really strikes me as a valuable resource for pastors/Christian leaders.
Marc
Jul 01, 2009 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty decent. Generally applicable.
Harry E. Stanley II
Harry E. Stanley II rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
J.S. Farland
J.S. Farland rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
May 10, 2016
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Erich
Erich added it
Feb 20, 2016
John Sauer
John Sauer marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Jamie Allen
Jamie Allen rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Brad Coleman
Brad Coleman marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Demetrice Morris
Demetrice Morris rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Trevor Mccready
Trevor Mccready is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2015
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
J. David  Knecht
J. David Knecht rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Lea Grace
Lea Grace marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Bryan Catherman
Bryan Catherman rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Tina
Tina added it
Feb 07, 2015
Dwayne
Dwayne rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Phil Whittall
Phil Whittall marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Bill Donahue is an associate professor at Trinity International University and a popular conference speaker. The author of more than a dozen books with sales over 550,000 copies, he is former director of leadership development and group life for the Willow Creek Community Church and Association. He lives in Illinois.
More about Bill Donahue...