Start by marking “365 Ways to Live Cheap: Your Everyday Guide to Saving Money” as Want to Read:
365 Ways to Live Cheap: Your Everyday Guide to Saving Money

365 Ways to Live Cheap: Your Everyday Guide to Saving Money

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Use cold water for most clothes washing and save up to $63 a year. Minimize your carload and reduce your gas mileage by as much as 5 percent. Invest in a deep freezer and fill it up with meat discounted at 30 percent or more.

Take a look at your life and you'll realize that there's almost always a way to make do on less. This book offers up a bevy of ways to cut down on cos
Published December 17th 2008 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 365 Ways to Live Cheap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 365 Ways to Live Cheap

Anya
I adore Trent Hamm's blog, www.thesimpledollar.com, where he shares tips and anecdotes from his ongoing attempts to live frugally. Trent's a sweet guy and a more-than-decent writer, a 20-something conservative Christian libertarian (also quite open-minded and curious about life) living in Iowa with his wife and two little kids. Our lives couldn't be more different, but I enjoy his methodical, non-preachy advice. His blog is loaded with value for anyone wishing to learn more about personal financ ...more
Amy
Jun 17, 2014 Amy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, kindle
Nothing new, common sense, don't unless it's free - heeeeeeey.... and there's bonus tip 366 on how to save money.
Liz De Coster
When a blog is turned into a book, sometimes it expands on the content of the blog, adding depth or context to the blog's topic. This isn't really one of those cases - I felt that almost every chapter or suggestion in the book could be directly connected to one of the blog posts from The Simple Dollar. I'd recommend the blog, instead, if you're interested in the topic.
Easy, quick read with lots of good ideas and suggestions.
Michael J Rich
Good ideas for some

The book is organized into categories so finding or skipping clusters of ideas is simple (money saving tips for raising kids, vacations, buying a house, etc.). Some of the information is a bit dated, like the advice for modifying cell phone plans. Overall, a pretty good highly readable list of frugal strategies.
DiligentReader
Why this took me so long to finish, I don't really know. This book has good tips, although a lot of them are common sense. Mostly this book is good for staying on track; I read a lot of tips in here that my family already does. It's worth a read, though how much you learn will probably be based on the knowledge of finances you already have.
Mischelle
This was some good advice in this book. I do already follow some of these things before reading this. The clothes line is good. If you can't put up a clothes line, get one of the clothes racks from the store. There are stores that sale those rack to hang clothes on by a hanger. The best clothes racks are from a clothing store. When a clothing store went out of business, we were able to buy a few of their clothing racks. They are much better than the racks from the store in a box.

I do like how th
Jessica Blevins
I read this book mainly because I am a huge fan of the author's blog, The Simple Dollar, which offers daily tips and meditations on finance, work/life balance, environmental issues, and frugality.

If you've been a reader of The Simple Dollar for a few months, there's not much new in this book. However, it is nice to have all Trent Hamm's tips consolidated into one handy reference. I've flagged several tips that I want to try, such as cutting dryer sheets in half and making my own laundry deterge
Much of it is common sense for followers of Trent's blog however I would recommend this book for budget/saving novices.
Gremlin
It's a cute and fast little book. Easy to read, easy to navigate, easy to understand.

The tips are hit or miss. Most of them are good ideas, but obviously how many work for you will depend on your lifestyle and your general awareness towards money and frugality.

In my case, my lifestyle is already fairly alternative, and I am fairly aware of my finances and keeping a low cost of living, so most of the ideas were things I already knew.

But the info could be good for others in a different boat.
8588cee
There are lots of ideas and ways to save money by being cheap! I am too cheap and I borrowed this book at no cost... This book has been filled with need of common sense and stuff that we already know ways to save money. There are few suggestions that I have not known that you can save money that are based on. It is good book for someone who really needs to save every penny as order to survive.
Jackie Wolfred
Aug 06, 2011 Jackie Wolfred rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thrift-minded people
This handy book is a good resource for someone starting to live more frugally. I didn't realize when I checked it out at the public library that it was written by the Founder of TheSimpleDollar.com, which I subscribe to. Even though I am doing most of what the book touts and then some, it was a good reminder of how to live thoughtfully CHEAP.
Becky
This book is a good beginner's guide to saving money. The points are short and easy to understand. Quick read and easy to implement most of the ideas. However, very few ideas for people who have already been living a more frugal life and some of the ideas I actually disagree with. But, good starting point.
Inder
Gimmicky, and mostly no-brainers, but a fun quick read between other things. There are several ideas here that I will definitely implement - I loved the idea of debt "snowflaking" (in addition to "snowballing"), and there are some concretely helpful suggestions on cutting energy costs, etc.
Aspasia
A lot of these tips are a no-brainer to someone who has been raised to live a frugal lifestyle. This book would be best for someone who has had to downgrade their lifestyle and needs help switching from high maintenance to low maintenance costs.
Desiree
It had a lot of information but most of it was common sense. This is more of a book for someone with absolutely no clue on how to save money. I honestly did not take anything away from reading this book.
Nikki
I don't think I'm the target audience for this book. I would recommend it to someone who is starting out on a lifestyle change to save more money.
Amy
This is filled with good, practical tips that anyone can use. I've now subscribed to his blog thesimpledollar.com.
Shelly
This had a lot of good information on it.
I'm glad I checked it out from the library instead of buying it!
Christina
Cute book, easy read, tips are easy to implement. Recommended for "beginners level" cheapos!
Grant Laird
It was okay. They could have put more details yet they keep it simple.
Laura B unata
Very good advice on how to save money
Ellen
There's not much that is new here.
Orsayor
Very Helpful Tips...
Ike
One word = thrifty
Morgan Johnson
Morgan Johnson is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Coral
Coral marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Peprmntpurple
Peprmntpurple marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Kerry Jeyschune
Kerry Jeyschune marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
  • The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
  • Suddenly Frugal: How to Live Happier & Healthier for Less
  • Be CentsAble: How to Cut Your Household Budget in Half
  • Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound
  • One Year to an Organized Financial Life: From Your Bills to Your Bank Account, Your Home to Your Retirement, the Week-by-Week Guide to Achieving Financial Peace of Mind
  • Future Of Money
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • The Tightwad Gazette II: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • Born to Buy: A Groundbreaking Exposé of a Marketing Culture That Makes Children "Believe They  Are  What They  Own." (USA Today)
  • The Hydrogen Economy
  • Secrets of Simplicity
  • The Treehouse Book
  • Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy
  • Thrifty: Living the Frugal Life with Style
2752000
I write personal finance articles and books for a living, but I'm currently stretching myself into short stories and food writing, among other things.

I live in rural Iowa with my wife and two children.

I'm using GoodReads to keep track of all of the stuff I read for ~personal enjoyment~ (meaning I'm not counting stuff I'm reading for the purposes of review) from July 27, 2009 onwards (when I joined
More about Trent Hamm...
The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams 1001 Ways to Make Money If You Dare Everything You Ever Really Needed to Know About Personal Finance on Just One Page A Random Walk Down Wall Street: A Review and Summary Managing Your Personal Finances Better