Start by marking “Don Quixote” as Want to Read:
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

From the award-winning team behind the acclaimed retelling of Jonathan Swift’s GULLIVER comes an accessible, lavishly illustrated edition of a beloved classic.

One of the funniest and most touching novels ever written, Don Quixote has forever memorialized the story of a Spanish gentleman who reads so many books about chivalric knighthood that he is convinced his own destiny
Published April 14th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Don Quixote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don Quixote

Jeremy
This children’s edition, brilliantly illustrated by Chris Riddell, was enjoyed by both my children and myself over many nights. Broken up nicely into good night-time reading chunks, it managed to retain much of the essence of the adult work while making it very accessible as a children’s narrative.

‘Why did he have to die?’ my daughter wanted to know. ‘It’s sad.’

‘If he had’ve stayed mad, he would have lived,’ my son suggested.

That our illusions preserve us was a good take on the denouement.
Cassidy Davies
Aug 12, 2011 Cassidy Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was funny and amusing and it was also a bit serious but you can still get a good laugh no matter how much you read it. I have given it 4 stars due to its humour and adventure tale but sadly it didn't reach 5 to me personally. I think the book personally dragged on a bit but again it had good dialogue and funny parts.
Zahirah
Jun 06, 2017 Zahirah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great version of a classic tome. Jenkins' narrative is so engaging complemented by Riddell's delightful drawings. I think Riddell should illustrate all the classic works
Sarah Evans
Nov 28, 2009 Sarah Evans rated it really liked it
Shelves: washyarg
Author Martin Jenkins turns this classic novel into a rollicking road trip with plenty of rowdy humor, supported by the comical illustrations of Chris Riddell. Set in 16th century Spain, an aging country gentleman becomes so obsessed while reading novels of chivalric knights that he believes he is actually a knight errant. Convincing the local peasant Sancho Panza to accompany him as a squire, Don Quixote wanders throughout the country, imagining every person and situation he encounters to be pa ...more
Julee T
Mar 01, 2015 Julee T rated it really liked it
For the funniest book ever written and the world's most influential book, it was a bit dry, ironic yes! Still it does remind us to not take life too seriously and to chase our dreams if only for the entertainment of adventure. I think this copy is abridged so I'll have to track down another copy for comparison- see if serious hilarity was sacrificed! Chris Riddell's illustrations are amazing! So if you have a teen reluctant reader and you want an illustrated text, it's worth the read. If you hav ...more
Alexandra
Jul 25, 2011 Alexandra marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
This is not the version I am reading; my copy is quite old and I don't think it appears in the list!

This is not a book I would choose to be reading right now. However, a friend came over a few weeks ago and saw my very old copy on to TBR shelf, and commented that he was planning on reading it himself. This morning, he ambushed me: asked what I was reading, and when I said I'd just finished a book... well, it was on for young and old. So it the Don and Cervantes for me.

Um, not sure how far I wil
Edy Gies
Jun 07, 2014 Edy Gies rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this version of the classic, Don Quixote. The story was absolutely enchanting and adorable and the illustrations were amazing! I enjoyed the illustrations as much as I enjoyed the story! I would happily recommend my students read this as I think they would find it an engaging and relaxing read.
Elise
Aug 31, 2011 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful illustrations. We are reading this aloud for bedtime reading and it is broken into nice-sized chapters. The titles of the chapters are as humorous as the story. I have not read Don Quixote before, so I cannot make a comparison, but this is a great book for a young reader to get a taste of the story and characters.
Lupine
I have tried to read Don Quixote a million different times and have never been able to get through it. With this edition, however, I was able to get the gist of this classic story of Don Quixote. Beautifully illustrated would be good for older elementary school kids up to adults.
Bea Elwood
Oct 12, 2015 Bea Elwood rated it it was ok
The artwork is what caught my eye but normally I try not to read condensed novels. Sadly, the writing is very poor and in the end I'm donating the book despite the lovely illustrations.
Deana Pittman
Mar 22, 2011 Deana Pittman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this version...the illustrations and the way the stories are broken up into smaller sections will make it much more readable for my students!
Sere1nella
Le illustrazioni accompagnano la lettura di questo classico, che riporta la storia del "pazzo" don Chisciotte e del suo fedele scudiero Sancho Panza (il personaggio che ho amato di più!)..
Annie Feighery
Another Riddell illustrated book. This is going to be the vacation read with the children for July.
Judith
I loved this version. It is so much better than the abridged and one must teach an abridged version. I tried to order it for Rise only to find it unavailable. I am very sad indeed.
Paddi
Dec 11, 2011 Paddi added it
Liked this version a lot. But, the end umh, I am not so sure I liked that.
Karin
Oct 25, 2013 Karin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-boys
Wonderful childhood introduction to the classic, Don Quixote.
Jesse Haubert
Jun 09, 2013 Jesse Haubert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a crazy old man, accompanied by his stupid friend, who goes around pretending to be a knight. It's better then it sounds.
Kass Rippee
May 27, 2011 Kass Rippee rated it it was amazing
As Retold By Martin Jenkins: This version of Don Quixote was wonderful! It's a bit cleaned up so it's easy to read, has some more modern idioms, and the illustrations are wonderful!
Geoff
Jan 26, 2017 Geoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very amusing, love the illustrations.
Ann
Feb 11, 2010 Ann marked it as couldn-t-finish
Perhaps I should try a translation of the original. The art in this book is great, though.
Ginny Churchill
Oct 16, 2010 Ginny Churchill rated it it was amazing
THis book is amazing. Retold perfectly
Liser19
Liser19 rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Mick
Mick rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Signe Madsen
Signe Madsen rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Giulia Di nino
Giulia Di nino rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Chris M
Chris M rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2009
Eric M. Leonard
Eric M. Leonard rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Zayneea
Zayneea rated it really liked it
May 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Martin Jenkins, a conservation biologist, has written several nonfiction books for children, including Ape, Grandma Elephant’s in Charge, The Emperor’s Egg, and Chameleons Are Cool. He lives in Cambridge, England.
More about Martin Jenkins...