Start by marking “Choosing Colors: An Expert Choice of the Best Colors to Use in Your Home” as Want to Read:
Choosing Colors: An Expert Choice of the Best Colors to Use in Your Home

Choosing Colors: An Expert Choice of the Best Colors to Use in Your Home

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  70 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This beautiful and unique reference provides an unrivaled mine of inspiration and ideas for anyone wishing to create a colorful new look for their home or garden!
In this stunningly produced guide, internationally renowned interior designer Kevin McCloud puts together over 1,000 color chips arranged in over 80 palettes. Each palette--which includes anywhere from 6 to 16 co
Published December 3rd 2005 by Watson-Guptill Publications (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Choosing Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choosing Colors

May 18, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, reference
A gorgeous book, highbrow but not snooty, with brilliant, knowledgeable text and captions by color and paint expert Kevin McCloud. Contains 64 different palettes (and includes an index matching them to actual retail paint hues, mostly by Benjamin Moore). Many of the photos are atypical for coffee table design books and shelter magazines. I've spent hours staring at this inspirational book and never gotten tired of it. It sits on my shelf and constantly beckons to me.
Jan 12, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
If you were the type of kid who marveled at the colors in the giant crayola box and enjoyed looking at the names and determining the differences between red-violet and violet-red, this is the book for you. Learn palettes from different eras and nationalities and how colors were created. I didn't like any of the pictures of interior spaces using these color palettes, but it really isn't a book about contemporary decorating. My favorite section? Pseudo-historic colors that have been muddled by gri ...more
Jul 23, 2007 Subversified rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: amateur home decorators
Shelves: businessbooks
I'm no expert on art. I need to see something before I know for sure if I'll like it or not. This book takes a look at various rooms and dissects what colors it uses and why those colors work. I started out knowing I wanted a specific shade of red for my living room - this book helped me see what would work together with it. yay!
Sep 22, 2009 Becca rated it it was amazing
This book really help me visualize a more creative color scheme in my living room and kitchen. The color combinations and the photos were great. It was hard to choose, there were so many great options. I hope to buy this one day because I have a feeling as my tastes change and I want to repaint, this will continue to be inspirational.
Apr 27, 2009 Jennie rated it it was amazing
I use this book on an almost daily basis. It's helped med to choose the colors in my home that work best, considering many things - the lighting, the climate, the direction the rooms are facing...Kevin McCloud is a color genius.
Mar 30, 2016 TaylorValerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book to read and study if you are interested in learning colour techniques in Interior Design. Kevin McCloud is an excellent architect and Interior designer and has some really great expert opinions.
Alyce rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Calliope rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Annlanding rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2011
Lisa Treece
Lisa Treece rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2009
Kathleen Mackie
Kathleen Mackie rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Dorothy Bardewyck
Dorothy Bardewyck rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2014
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Erica Goodwin
Erica Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2013
Tom Pushpathadam
Tom Pushpathadam rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Marsha L
Marsha L rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Carolm rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Toni Wells
Toni Wells rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Pamela rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2009
Andrea Degrazia
Andrea Degrazia rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Jean Krauss
Jean Krauss rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
Sotiris Makrygiannis
Sotiris Makrygiannis rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Louise Dickey
Louise Dickey rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Claire rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Bonnie Delong
Bonnie Delong rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Hope rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Cartwheels rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Sjwise79 rated it liked it
May 24, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
An author, broadcaster and designer Kevin is best known for Channel 4's Grand Designs and for his annual coverage of the Stirling Prize.
McCloud and his two brothers, Terence and Graham, were raised in a house his parents had built. McCloud attended Dunstable Grammar School which became Manshead Upper School, Dunstable. He originally pursued a career in music, and then went to Cambridge where he c
More about Kevin McCloud...