Start by marking “Sword Of God (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sword Of God (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #3)

Sword Of God (Payne & Jones #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,799 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
In a secret bunker, one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is under interrogation-until he is rescued, and his captors are slaughtered.

Ex-MANIAC honcho Jonathan Payne vows revenge-but there is more to the bloody atrocity than terrorist reprisal. There is a plot in motion that will burn the world in the fires of holy war.
Published September 25th 2007 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Sword Of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword Of God

Julian Lees
An easy read with plenty of action but I found it wasn't taut enough.
Neil
Mar 27, 2016 Neil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 in the Payne and Jones series, and it is easy to see that the writer is gaining in confidence. Once again this was a fairly easy read, quite fast paced, although as others have pointed out you do need to suspend belief at certain points. I seem to have read an early version as the number of typo's soon got to be frustrating, hopefully they have now been corrected.
Once again the writer has blended fact and fiction together. Initially there seemed to be 3 different plot lines, and they just
Tony
Aug 25, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Kuzneski- Sword of God (Berkley Publishing 2007) 3.5 Stars

When a boy from South Korea discovers a cave full of blood near his village, he has no idea how it will affect his fellow villagers. In Saudi Arabia a major archaeological discovery has just been made. The U.S. has called in Payne and Jones on a black ops mission, but neither knows exactly why they have been called in, nor what is going on. Left to figure things out on their own they have decided to handle things in their own way. U
William Bentrim
Jan 06, 2011 William Bentrim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski

Novels that read like current events are frequently frightening. This portrayal of an orchestrated mass murder to unite the diverse elements of Islam is very disturbing. The disturbing aspect is that it seemed eminently probable.

Jonathan Payne is larger than life and a good combination of Bruce Lee and John Wayne. His side kick D.J. Jones is a tad more believable. The novel does a nice job in the portrayal of feared elements both abroad and in our own government.

Sa
Tim Pendry
Mar 23, 2008 Tim Pendry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a romp
Shelves: thriller
This was surprisingly good considering it is yet another of the surge of books mixing Middle Eastern politics and at least the implication of ancient secrets.

Kuzneski can write without cliche when he wants to, but when he does cliche, wow does he go to town - the 'machismo' of the hero and his sidekick (who kept reminding me of the Lone Ranger and Tonto for some reason) in the early chapters was just OTT.

But, despite this caveat and the usual necessary unbelievabilities which are part of this
Sally
Jan 11, 2015 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A refreshingly great read! Mostly set on Jeju Island in Korea, Chris Kuzneski makes you feel like you are there, not just in a pacey action adventure story, but on this tiny island with it's unique culture. His characters are alive and real, the drama non-stop, and plenty of added entertainment between Jone's and Payne's banter.

Brought back from retirement to track down a former MANIAC soldier they had trained, the two must solve the puzzle of what has been going on in these giant caves made fro
Cheryle Leggett
Nov 16, 2009 Cheryle Leggett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What an author. Chris Kuzneski definately has a way with words.

The characters are fantastic, as are the stories. It's a great thriller, but it's got it's funny moments in it - mostly due to the two main characters.

When I wasn't near the book, all I wanted was to read it, and when I was reading it, I just wanted to know what would happen next. It really is gripping.
Santosh
Mar 30, 2013 Santosh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. Could not finish the book and left it midway. The suspense is not potent enough to hold you even after 100+ pages and the religious angle does not hold promise for a great reading experience. May be worth read of you have no books packed on a long flight but surely you will deviate if you have 100 books waiting to be read on your kindle.
Allan
Oct 29, 2007 Allan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, action, thriller
Like his previous novel, The Sign Of The Cross, this is a fairly fast-paced action thriller and a very easy read - ideal holiday or travel reading.
With Payne and Jones back as the main heroes of the piece and with several plot twists, it's an entertaining read.
Daizymaine
It was an ok read. Entertaining, good mystery with a lot of twists but some of them went no where. Some of the characters are never really fully developed.
Chelsea Powell
Dec 31, 2015 Chelsea Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I finished this book a while ago but never really got the chance to review it. To be honest when I first picked this book up I didn't really have high hopes for it. Mostly because it's cover greatly resembled a lot of other cheesy books I dislike, after I read the first chapter though I must admit I became enthralled and when I wasn't doing other things I was reading this. It tends to flips through POV's either during chapters or at the start of them which keeps you on your toes as you don't ...more
Christina Woodworth
If you like The DaVinci Code, Indiana Jones, mysteries, and action, delve into the world of Payne and Jones--ex-military special ops and all-around bad asses. This is book number 4 in this series, and it is a fast-paced, quick-witted, action-packed thriller. Payne and Jones find themselves trying to unravel the mystery of the stranger who called out of the blue needing help, but before they can help, the man is murdered. Their travels take them to Ramstein, Germany (which totally made this forme ...more
Casey
Apr 15, 2008 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read
Kislay Verma
Sep 26, 2012 Kislay Verma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From my review at SolomonSays:

The third edition of Payne and Jones follows the lead of the second in terms of religious sensationalism. This time, however, the target is Islam and its imaginary dark secrets are protected by the two protagonists. The plot lines are similar in terms of two series of events-one clearly religious and other one not so –merging into one as the story progresses. The plot lines are also similar in terms of invincibility of our heroes and trigger-happy disposition of pre
Steve
Jun 28, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You should never judge a book by it's cover - but I'm guilty of choosing based on titles. When choosing the next book off my shelf, I had a toss-up between this and "The Secret Crown". I was greatly disappointed in myself to discover that this was actually part of a larger series - and even more so to discover I had more of them.
I loved the book, and will definitely be ordering the rest of the series now. The characters were brilliant, and to start on the third of a series and not feel like I've
High Wycombe Library
Jan 25, 2014 High Wycombe Library rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-adventure
The third installment in the Payne & Jones series, Sword Of God is a fast paced thriller, melding elements of archaeology and ancient scripture into a gripping read, that is a welcome continuation to the series. ^GE

If you liked Sword Of God why not try:
The Devil Colony by James Rollins
Temple Of The Gods by Andy McDermott
The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry
Warriorangel Warriorangel
Jul 17, 2008 Warriorangel Warriorangel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good thriller
Pleasantly surprised by this author. This is the first of his books I am reading and quite like his writing style. Loved the funny dialogue between Payne & Jones :) I read alot of fiction & out of habit I'd look for the factual bits throughout the story and find myself wanting to verify them. The hajj journey is quite interesting. As espionage-ish drama storylines go, the plot of this one is a frightening thought...am about 3/4 way through it & am thoroughly enjoying it thus far.

(17/
Randee Baty
Apr 22, 2013 Randee Baty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, reviewed
This is the third book in the Payne and Jones series and the third one I've read. It's the best so far. I can feel this author growing in his confidence with this series.

Payne and Jones, ex-special forces, are called in to help deal with an protege of theirs that has disappeared. The plot includes plans for a terrorist attack on Mecca. The action is very violent so if you don't like blood, this isn't the book for you. On the other hand, the characters work well together and have a true friendshi
Sartaj Singh
The idea was really compelling..especially the modern world terrorism theme mixed with elite forces with really cool names and bad-ass ex-soldiers..but i'm sorry is it just me or was the main topic over which the book was written is lost before you can even say "Yeah i get what this is about." and instead its like "Oh yeah that's inters..wait..whaaa..? O.o".
I mean there are about maximum 7 or 8 pages written which actually relate to the title of this book.
Still having said all that the action sc
Jonathan
Mar 17, 2014 Jonathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really did not enjoy this story, seemed un-coordinated and mismatched. The idea was good but seemed to me that nothing connected, and it came over in a way that the story was unplanned and just ad-libbed as the author wrote it! Sorry - felt like I had wasted my time on this one !
Tammy
Dec 14, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was surprisingly quite pleasant to read (ignoring the gory plot) and the humor balanced out the whole terrorist plot to destroy something quite nicely.
Overall, the author has a good way with words supported by an action-packed not humor lacking storyline. A good read, I must say!
Joann
Sep 19, 2014 Joann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the type of book I normally read but it was recommended to me by a friend. It was a good read even though I started the series out of order. I like it as the author is from Pittsburgh and the books move fast. I like the character also and the friendship they share.
Mark
Jul 13, 2016 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disengage brain type adventure with a far fetched plot. That doesn't mean it was without interest, as it introduces a couple of places off the 'normal' track and does demonstrate some geographic research to support/ pad out the script. Very easy reading.
Amitha
Jul 25, 2015 Amitha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the book in less than a day. It's very hard to put down. But I don't get the resemblance between the title of the book and the story plot. Anyway this is so far the best of Jonathan Payne and David Jones series I've read.
Asmaa Essakouti
Jun 17, 2014 Asmaa Essakouti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the whole idea behind the book is wrong, the author was thinking about nothing, except of underestimating arabs, by filling his novel of stereotypes.
after reading the book you'll be determined that every arab is a terrorist, who is capable of exploding even "Mecca" to gather muslims around one idea, around one enemy..
Vanessa
I am finding that Payne & Jones books are hit or miss. They usually have a little bit of unbelievable and you have to get past that. Unfortunately I probably won't read anymore of them, but still undecided.
Hana
Jul 01, 2016 Hana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Really intense, even though some parts were a bit redundant. I was glad to find out that Payne and Jone got theie impressive skills back and stopped behaving like twats.
Chris
Dec 15, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Kuzneski knows exactly how to interest a reader, then keep you interested. The only thing that gets on my nerves with his writing is the heavy-handed buddy-buddy stuff. It's easy to say that it illustrates two characters' friendship or shows a character trait etc., but if you give it a little thought, it really doesn't sound natural. It's the same as in an over-the-top Hollywood action movie: silly wisecracks just seem out of place and there is banter in places it doesn't belong. Don't let ...more
Robin
Mar 06, 2010 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, religion, kindle
The title of this one is a little misleading since the historical sword discovered in the beginning actually has nothing to do with the main plot. The historical side of it is weak and disappointing. The religious elements were strong but they are not as thought-provoking as Dan Brown's novels. If you like political/military thrillers about terrorism than this might appeal to you - although the writing isn't superb. But if you're looking for a historical mystery Dan Brown style, this isn't it. A ...more
Sam
Mar 19, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Thoroughly enjoyable book, well written and creative storyline and believable characters following on from his previous book The Sign of the Cross. The characters of Payne and Jones are fantastic, obviously well researched and thought out with glimpses of their pasts given, I can't wait to read the next one with these two, they're beginning to become real people in my head lol. The story was also well researched and brilliantly written without taking any sides (other than Payne and Jones' of cou ...more
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Sacred Bones
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Last Testament
Chris Kuzneski is a New York Times and Sunday Times (UK) bestselling author. His thrillers have been translated into more than 20 languages and have been published in more than 40 countries. His latest book, The Prisoner's Gold, won the ITW Thriller award for 2016 Book of the Year. He is the first adventure writer to win a prestigious Thriller Award. His works have also been featured by the Litera ...more
More about Chris Kuzneski...

Payne & Jones (8 books)
  • The Plantation (Payne & Jones, #1)
  • Sign of the Cross (Payne & Jones, #2)
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • The Secret Crown (Payne & Jones, #6)
  • The Death Relic (Payne & Jones, #7)
  • The Einstein Pursuit (Payne & Jones #8)