Start by marking “Show Me the Sky. Nicholas Hogg” as Want to Read:
Show Me the Sky. Nicholas Hogg

Show Me the Sky. Nicholas Hogg

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Time is running out for James Dent. One missing person investigation has cost him his marriage, his home and possibly his job. All he has left is his instinct, and a copy of 'Show Me the Sky' - the book Billy K was reading when he vanished. Dent believes he can solve this case alone.
Published April 1st 2009 by Canongate Books (first published June 5th 2008)

Andrea
Loosely inspired by the disappearance of the Manic Street Preachers' lead singer. Tells the story of a police detective who is investigating the disappearance of a rock star. The story of a missionary on the way back to his home country, as detailed in a journal that said missing rock star was supposed to have read, is an essential part of the text.
Sarah Azahar
CAN'T COMPREHEND TO WHAT I AM READING ZzzzZ
sisterimapoet
I was mildly curious when I heard about this book, as I have a passing interest in missing rock stars, but I really only took a chance with it because it was published by Canongate and I often enjoy their books.

And I'm very glad I did. The novel far exceeded the hopes raised by the cover blurb, which really didn't do justice to the scope of the novel.

The magic in this novel is the way in which Hogg interweaves four separate narratives. Each feels authentic and gripping. Each gives subtle nods to
Rhys
Jan 22, 2009 Rhys rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
'show me the sky' is a beautifuly wellspun exploration of personal identity with a cast of exotic memorables who endevour to locate the essence of who they are and why. What twins them is the Fijian stowaway missionary Naqarase and his psyche.His ancient scribe plays ghost and reason to the mystery dissapearences;a global song god,And a man inspired to find him.
Nicholas Hogg writes with velvet ephemeral poeticality,woven gracefully into the cleverly crafted plotlines of this brilliant book.
Christine
Tying together numerous plot lines is something few writers can do with much success, yet Hogg masterfully accomplishes this and more. Great read. Can't wait for more from this writer.
Jh
Loved how the different stories came together.. How the missing rock star and Fijian missionary were linked. Would probably appeal to fans of Cloud Atlas. Great read.
Wilde Sky
A policeman searches for a missing rock star.

I thought this book had some good sections, but it tried to be too clever and ended up being confusing / dull.
Paul
A powerfully written mystery of a disappearance of a rock singer. The man sent to find him also vanishes from the radar to trace him. Intertwined with this is the account of a Fijian man who has found Christianity, and is returning home to convert his people.

The story is quite complex and deals with corruption and vested interests as much as a man’s desire to no longer be in the spotlight. Couldn’t always see the links, but the writing is exquisite.
Mew
Mar 10, 2010 Mew rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mew by: sisterimapoet
Shelves: 2010
Someone told me that this made them think of Cloud Atlas. I wondered how anything could compare to that - it wasn't as beautifully written as Cloud Atlas, but it would take a lot to make me think anything was. However, this was an amazing book. Each narrative would have been enough to grip and to intrigue the reader. Having these storylines and characters weave in and out felt indulgent. But also brilliant.
Ruth
The blurb notes "A Journey of Redemption" would normally have stayed my hand immediately, but I picked this up in the library as one of the 'outside the comfort zone' books I try to make myself take along with the 'usual suspects', and am glad I did. It weaves together the differing narrative threads deftly enough and blends ripping yarn and more thoughtful elements with reasonable success.
Gavin Purtell
Gavin Purtell marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
R
R is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Katie Neipris
Katie Neipris marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Codi
Codi added it
Mar 28, 2015
Neill
Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Clainze
Clainze marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Amirul Aiman
Amirul Aiman marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
Oct 24, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Mimi
Mimi is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nicholas Hogg was nominated for the IMPAC literary award for his début novel, Show Me the Sky. Winner of numerous short story contests, his work has also been broadcast by the BBC. His third novel, TOKYO, is out now. He is vice-captain of The Authors Cricket Club, a team of cricket playing writers published by Bloomsbury. www.nicholashogg.com
More about Nicholas Hogg...
The Hummingbird and the Bear Tokyo How The Tiger Got Its Stripes Punk Fiction: An Anthology of Short Stories Inspired by Punk The Blizzard: Issue Eleven