Start by marking “The Founding of Christendom: A History of Christendom, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Founding of Christendom: A History of Christendom, Vol. 1

The Founding of Christendom: A History of Christendom, Vol. 1

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This series is the only comprehensive narration of Western history written from the orthodox Catholic perspective still in print. How would a historical narrative read if the author began with these first principles: Truth exists; the Incarnation happened? This series is essential reading for those who consider the West worth defending.
Published October 1st 2004 by Christendom Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Founding of Christendom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Founding of Christendom

booklady
Sep 15, 2008 booklady marked it as reference
Shelves: history, religion
An excellent resource for those undertaking a study of our Western heritage -- especially if you want to be sure to be true to its Christian foundations -- or just to have on hand for reference. Wonderful to just pick up and read in sections as well.
Kenneth
Read all five volumes of this history over the course of a year, thirty-five hundred some odd pages or so. One of the first histories that I have read outside the classroom after having finished my undergraduate work. Written from the Catholic perspective, the narrative is heavily political, emphasizing war or political leadership instead of social history or the history of ideas.

In addition to writing history, Carroll analyzed Soviet propaganda for the CIA and founded a college in Front Royal
Jon
The Founding of Christendom (Vol 1) is a history book that explains history (not just religion but what was going on during each period) during Old Testament times up until around 300 AD. The book is extensively biographied and footnoted, so much so, that nearly 1/4th of the book are the notes for the rest of the book. This is certainly a reference book that can lead to further study about topics throughout the history of the early Christians. It can be a long read, but I'd suggest deciding on a ...more
Stephen
The first 100 pages or so became difficult for me due to my lack of knowledge of the old testament. As we approached the Incarnation, the book became alive for me and continued all the way through to Constantine. Many topics I plan to do further study on - specifically the Dispersion of the Apostles (and Paul). I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they made those decisions. The book is terrific and the only shortcoming is my lack of knowledge of the old testament. Looking forward to the continu ...more
Luke Langley
An amazing telling of the story of history rising up out of archeological facts. It does a good job balancing the obscurity of history with the surety of faith and divine revelation. It provided great evidence for the historicity of the Catholic story while showing the difficulties of the archaeological debates around any given event. The best parts were his descriptions of Maccabees and the Christian martyrs. The only criticism I have is not that it was too attached to the Catholic position as ...more
Mike
I enjoyed finding so much information regarding the foundations of Christianity in one book. The author writes from a Catholic perspective, and is very up front about it. He documents and supports everything he writes. The bibliography is one of the most extensive to be found in any prior history book that I have read.

Christianity forms the basis for so much of western civilization that every Christian owes it to their education to reflect upon a book such as this.
Daniel
Warren Carroll is not an unbiased historian. He freely admits his bias, that he is a practicing and believing Catholic. This is the first volume of his history of the world. The climax of this book comes at the pivotal moment of all human history, when the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. Another notable characteristic of Carroll is that he insists that it is not political, cultural, economic, etc, forces that make history, but rather people.
Erik
Included in the "History and Culture" section of Fr. John McCloskey's 100-book Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan.

Listed by Patrick Madrid in the Reading Plan of Search and Rescue in Phase 3 (Advanced). ("perhaps the best available today in English")
Brendan Sweeney
All of the books in this series are phenomenal. Dr. Carroll takes a narrative approach to history that draws the reader in, making them feel as if they are actually there reliving the events of the past. A must read!
Fathergj
A great history of the beginning first three centuries of the Catholic Church. I highly recommend this for those who want a detailed account.
Nancy
May 02, 2014 Nancy added it
Shelves: own
per David Currie, this series reads like a mystery.
Magorzata Maria
Wonderful,very exciting reading.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Varghese Michael
Varghese Michael marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Therese Benge
Therese Benge marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Chris Verhulst
Chris Verhulst marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Emanuela Mateas
Emanuela Mateas marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Luke Kippenbrock
Luke Kippenbrock marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Alisa Zimmerman
Alisa Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Waldemar Partyka
Waldemar Partyka marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Daniel Wijaya
Daniel Wijaya marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Chiara
Chiara marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • The Lord
  • The Privilege of Being a Woman
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • The Hidden Power of Kindness: A Practical Handbook for Souls Who Dare to Transform the World, One Deed at a Time
  • The Soul of The Apostolate
  • Essays on Woman
  • Transformation in Christ
  • Three to Get Married
  • The Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods
  • The Greatest Story Ever Told
  • Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal's Pensées - Edited, Outlined & Explained
Dr. Warren H. Carroll was a leading conservative Catholic historian and author, and the founder of Christendom College.

More about Warren H. Carroll...
The Building of Christendom: A History of Christendom, Vol. 2 Our Lady of Guadalupe: And the Conquest of Darkness 1917: Red Banners, White Mantle The Glory of Christendom: History of Christendom, Vol. 3 The Cleaving of Christendom: History of Christendom, Vol. 4