Start by marking “Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)

Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery #2)

Savannah Reid, that big, sexy, Souther-born sleuth with a black belt in karate has finally established herself as a P.I. in posh San Carmelita, California. All her Moonlight Magnolia Detective Agency needs now is enough business to pay the rent and put some serious sweets on the table.

No sooner does Savannah complete her first case--finding the long-lost sister of a local
Published January 1st 2000 by Kensington (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Sweets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Sweets

Chaitra
I like this lady. She's a big girl, a cop turned PI, a Georgia peach not afraid to speak her mind. She eats a lot, but she's no wonder woman who cooks/bakes all that she eats. I relate to that completely. She also has an adorable 83 years old grandma who does an outrageous thing every year. What's not to love?

The mystery isn't all too strong, and a couple of things could have been more satisfactory (for example, (view spoiler)
Jaymi Marie
Mar 24, 2015 Jaymi Marie rated it it was amazing
Having gotten tired of Stephanie Plum and Hannah Swensen..I moved onto Savannah. Savannah is pure fluff--and totally enjoyable. I am so happy there are NO love triangles--at least not yet...I've only read two and am hoping this stays true.

Sometimes you just want to read a book that doesn't tax your mind and gives you a good laugh.

There's something more real about Savannah than many other female detectives I've read.

I can't wait to read more.
Brenda
May 04, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
I really like this book. I like the characters and appreciate them going through some ethical questions. Can't wait to read the next one.
Carol
Mar 05, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-mysteries
I like a lead character who is not perfect and I like a mystery where I'm not sure who the killer is until near the end.
Susan
Jul 19, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series.
Dharia Scarab
Did not like this book, the author introduced the villains POV, which I hate.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But
Lynda
Nov 27, 2016 Lynda rated it really liked it
3.5 really. Don't know why, but only one character actually appealed to me. The rest were just not doing it for me, and that included the main character. The mystery was . . . . For the first time in ages, I knew who did it fairly quickly and that just made the detectives more annoying. At least it wasn't a DNF.
Kiki Belle
Sep 15, 2016 Kiki Belle rated it it was ok
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this book. On the one hand, some pretty dark things are going on, and I kind of like that. On the other hand, it didn't hold my attention, I think Savannah made some questionable decisions given her experience, and the characters weren't particularly interesting. While it had some dark themes--war crimes, child molestation, domestic violence--none of them were really given much attention. Everything was relatively glossed over.
Keela
Feb 09, 2016 Keela rated it it was ok
Lois
Mar 29, 2009 Lois rated it it was ok
While Savannah has some good quips to throw about in this book, it's not enough to offset the negatives:

-- Too much info being "synopsized" for us by the author; not enough showing.

-- Not enough romantic interaction with her former cop partner, who 99 percent of the time in this book shows his bad traits.

-- The gay couple--who are ex-FBI--seemed-over-the top gifted and good-looking in the first book, and they don't become more human in this book (the second in the series). Similarly, Tammy, the
Gail
Feb 07, 2009 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Savannah Reid, the bodacious former cop now PI, returns for a second adventure. Finally, she has a case; she's hired by a brother to find his sister who was adopted at a young age. Savannah does a great job and leads him to her. Unfortunately, he is not the brother but the woman's ex-husband. Before she can make it good, Lisa and her daughter are kidnapped by the ex-husband.

Savannah along with her friends and former partner track down the kidnapper who is now a killer. Impelled to make it right
Kat
Mar 08, 2016 Kat rated it it was amazing
Kimber
Oct 29, 2010 Kimber rated it did not like it
Cara
Oct 20, 2007 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2007
This is one of the only series that I have read out of order, and it definitely gets better as it goes on. The first book (Just Desserts) was good, but had more sexual undertones. This book is also good, but it had a religious undertone. In the later books there is more of a focus on the actual mystery, and on character development. It's nice to see Ms Mckevett grow as an author through these books.
Lisa Morin
Jun 12, 2016 Lisa Morin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun series. I love Savannah and her Granny Reid.
This book was fantastic, I think Savannah was portrayed as a true detective in this book. She was wronged and that resulted in the death of an innocent person, however, she kept going and had no plans at stopping until she solved the murder.
Marcia
Mar 29, 2013 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the series. The characters are well described and consistent, but the action has some gaps. The brother Bryan pops up a couple of times without smooth transitions. It seems the characters race from one place to another and from one theory to another. Savannah's grandmother adds a delightful and stablizing influence to the story.
Aug 17, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Such a talented author! The storyline kept me guessing, the characters were well developed and hilarious! This is the first of this series I have read, and you really don't have to read it to enjoy this book, but now I really need to read it!!! Caution: some swearing. But overall, a great read!
Sherri Osborn
May 26, 2011 Sherri Osborn rated it really liked it
Shelves: savannah-reid, own
After reading Just Desserts, I was excited to get started on this book, and, just like the first Savannah Reid book, I would give this book 4 1/2 starts if I could. I was able to put it down, but just barely!
Christine
Sep 26, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
The characters in this book are so entertaining to me, I feel like they are family. Granny Reid, Dirk in his own weird way, Tammy is bursting at the seems, John and Ryan- what a pair. Throw in southern charm, food and mystery around locating a missing sister, another great book to read.
Jan
Sep 09, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Not a bad plot, and not bad characters, but it just doesn't flesh out well. My biggest objection comes at the end. There is no way a child's reaction to the trauma she had been through would be as minimal and as quickly resolved. Don't think I will actively look for others in this series.
Ronda
Jun 23, 2013 Ronda rated it it was amazing
Savannah, ready to start a new life path jumps right into this missing person case...I love all the twists to the plot in the 2nd of this series of Mysteries. Love that she has everyone she needs to keep her on the right track.
Debra McEathron
Mar 05, 2016 Debra McEathron rated it liked it
I like this series, but I don't think she needs to remind us all the time about Coulter attitude. I think a PI would have checked the client out further when no one would give her details about the person she was looking for.
Karen
Jan 13, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This is the second of the series. I liked it. Audio version has a great narrator which really helps to bring a book to life.
Brenda
Sep 30, 2008 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-fiction
Fun little mysteries. Intriguing and they keep you wondering. I've also read Killer Calories and that was fun too. Good mystery author.
Shannon
A very decent easy reading murder mystery which doesn't have much to do with food really, so anyone could enjoy it.
Lynne
Nov 25, 2013 Lynne rated it did not like it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I couldn't seem to get into this story. Read a third of the book then had to put it aside. Don't know why it couldn't capture my interest.
Jenn
Jul 10, 2014 Jenn rated it liked it
I liked the main character, but not the domestic violence murder angle. Few men seem to be murdered in this particular series, I've noticed.
ChrisGA
Aug 18, 2013 ChrisGA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the Savannah Reid series.. Savannah solving brutal murders and trying to find a kidnapped child---but Granny Reid is visiting and giving her TLC. Enjoyable
Lorene's
May 24, 2015 Lorene's rated it liked it
It was okay. I wasn't sure how "Bitter Sweets" fit in, but the characters were interesting & the story engaging. I'll read more of her books.
Linda
May 09, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Reading any of the books in the Savannah Reid series is like visiting friends you haven't seen in awhile! And its nice to visit again!
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Knock 'em Dead (Murder, She Wrote #13)
  • Murder Takes the Cake (Daphne Martin, #1)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • Thai Die (A Needlecraft Mystery, #12)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Independence Slay (Celebration Bay, #3)
  • Murder Hooks a Mermaid (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #2)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over fifty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci
More about G.A. McKevett...

A Savannah Reid Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Corpse Suzette (Savannah Reid, #11)