Start by marking “The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3)

The Fires of Merlin (Merlin #3)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,825 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
The dragon called Wings of Fire has awakened from his enchanted slumber. And only Merlin -- the descendent of the wizard who first defeated the dragon -- possesses the power to stop him.
Published September 1st 2000 by Ace (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Fires of Merlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fires of Merlin

SIMON Karine
Aug 19, 2013 SIMON Karine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je tiens tout d’abord à remercier, une nouvelle fois, les éditions Nathan, pour m’avoir permis de découvrir ce roman, en avant-première. Je me suis une nouvelle fois régalée, avec les aventures du jeune merlin, sur l’Ile de Fincayra.

Merlin qui manque encore de confiance en lui, et doute encore de pouvoir devenir un puissant enchanteur, va devoir dans ce tome, affronter un terrible dragon. En effet, Valdearg qui avait été plongé dans un sommeil profond depuis de longues années. Mais pourquoi s’es
Charlotte Zander
Merlin book number 3 is the best book in the Merlin Saga yet! It is action packed and kept you engaged until the end. There was never a moment in the book where it got so boring you just wanted to skip those pages. Although my favorite character, Rhia, did not show up in this book very much, the new characters introduced had the same amount of personality Rhia had and still managed to make the book exciting. This book showed that you write your own stories and make your own paths. This message i ...more
Ea Solinas
Apr 29, 2015 Ea Solinas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ancient dragon Valdearg was briefly introduced in T.A. Barron's "Seven Songs." So guess what the antagonist of "The Raging Fires" is!

The third volume of this Arthurian fantasy epic introduces some nasty new beasties, magical threats and some explosive dragon action. Barron seems to have overcome his initial roughness, and allows the plot to flow as smoothly as his nature-based writing, as well as the introduction of some interesting new characters.

After barely saving his mother's life, Emrys
Nshslibrary
May 21, 2014 Nshslibrary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even the great wizard Merlin had a childhood. Merlin begins his journey to discover who he really is and where he came from when in a fit of rage he accidentally set a fire using magic, and while trying to save someone from the fire he lost his eyesight. The book that I am reviewing is Merlin the Raging Fires by T.A. Barron. In this book Merlin must fight a dragon that threatens the magical island of Fincayra, but the dragon isn't the only thing that wants him dead. This book and the rest of the ...more
Carrie Slager
Feb 14, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stakes are higher than ever before in The Fires of Merlin, the third book in The Lost Years of Merlin epic. Merlin must save Fincayra once again, but this time it may cost him his life. With Wings of Fire awakening, Merlin and Rhia must go on a dangerous adventure that will take them across Fincayra once more, meeting all kinds of interesting people and creatures.

What I really love about T. A. Barron’s writing is that he uses a variety of fantasy creatures, rather than just sticking with all
Jen
Feb 17, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the third book out of twelve in T.A. Barron's Merlin saga. I have to say I really enjoy Barron's writing style. He is so descriptive and makes me feel the emotion of the scene quite easily. The book moved fast for me.

Merlin is still young and still has his same characteristics and flaws as before. He is prideful and stubborn but also caring and understanding. He leaps into problems with little information. While this might annoy me in another book, this series is about how Merlin BECOME
Beau
Jun 06, 2014 Beau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-books
For a lovely rant on the issue of the contrivance of occurrences that just so happen to move the story go here .

As to the rest of the book, I found it to be particularly less episodic in comparison to the other books, however I believe it does lack some progression that the other books have. The first part seems to move slowly, while the second part seems to be kind of useless, beyond the introduction of Eremon and Hallia.

I wanted more Rhia and Cairpre. Perhaps it's my own love of those charac
Cheryl Chang
Jan 13, 2015 Cheryl Chang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*CHARACTER CHANGE* In the book Merlin: The Raging Fires, Valdearg changes from a dragon full of rage and vengeance to one who is full of fear. "...has done much recently to punish the dwarves"(110). This quote shows me of what Valdearg has done for his vengeance. Also, later in the book it states hat Valdearg had become full of rage because his young had been murdered and he accused the dwarves of doing so since they lived near his cave/lair/home. Towards the end of the book, Valdearg states ".. ...more
Kyler Place
Merlin is minding his own business when, for the first time not his fault, problems arise in Fincayra. The emperor dragon Valdearg has awoken, and he is not pleased. Merlin must stop him, but how can he do so with his powers lost to him?

This is perhaps my favorite book in the series so far. The story has changed pace, but I feel that it does a much better job than the first two. The dialogue has lost some of its wooden character, which is fortunate. My biggest concern is that T. A. Barron seems
Ptitelfe
Ici, on voit Merlin s'engager dans une vraie quête, celle d'affronter un dragon enragé, Valdearg, qui est persuadé qu'un des ascendants de Merlin, voire l'enchanteur lui même, a tué ses oeufs.

Comme dans les autres romans, ce livre est découpé en trois parties. Il va devoir faire route seul pendant un moment mais fera vite la rencontre de deux personnages qui vont devenir important dans sa quête et dans la recherche de soi.

Il devient plus humble, et donc plus supportable. Les quelques pertes qui
Fantasy Book Addict
Jul 19, 2014 Fantasy Book Addict rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In the Fires of Merlin, Merlin has to face many challenges that all lead up to his greatest challenge of defeating the dragon, Valdearg. These challenges include avoiding the magic-eating Kreelixes, recovering the Galator from Damnu, and discovering the secrets of the Wheel of Wye. After facing many challenges in this novel, Merlin learns a couple things about himself and others. He learns that magic is within himself, and that he cannot judge other people or creatures as evil just because they ...more
Devin
Aug 16, 2008 Devin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being the third book of the story of Merlin’s young years of growth we begin to expect more out of the fledgling wizard. As usual things don’t go exactly as planned, but that doesn’t mean that we’re let down, either. For a time during this adventure, Merlin is left without the use of his powers, but that doesn’t mean that he is completely hopeless. In fact, it is because of this that we see some important growth in him. Merlin doesn’t make as many mistakes this time, which is a relief for me aft ...more
Benjamin Thomas
The "Lost Years of Merlin" series is not a must-read series of books for Arthurian scholars nor for fans of Merlin, in general. It is not part of any 'canon' nor does it purport to be the definitive story of Merlin's youth. What it is, however, is a nicely done story, told in a pleasing way and aimed at the YA market. The author does do a good job of recycling some Welsh history and legend as well as tell a fine story.

I had read the first two books quite a few years ago, back when my children we
Heather
Jul 28, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I happened upon 3 of the 5 book series at the DI. This is the second book in the series and so far the best. It covers family devotion, pride vs. humility and the true power of humility versus the false power of pride, life lessons, loyalty to mission, a willingness to sacrifice for a greater good. I thought men's and women's role were exemplified beautifully in this book. Merlin sets out on a quest to save his mother who is dying as a consequence of his pride. His friend, Rhi ...more
Rachel
Jun 20, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of arthurian legend, those who have read earlier books
Shelves: fantasy
For those who already have enjoyed the earlier two books of the series, this novel follows in the same vein, bringing back old friends like Rhia and Carapre, while also introducing new ones. Be sure to read the first two books prior to reading this one.

I enjoyed the book. It's a nice, quick read--perfect for summer reading or as a break between more serious books. At times, the plot was predictable, but it was still enjoyable and had a nice ending.
Megan Conway
The first two books in this series were extremely well written by my standards and I really enjoyed both their stories, but THE RAGING FIRES was a completely different story. Though it's obvious Merlin grows throughout the book, the story seemed like the same like of thing. There wasn't much originality and I found myself expecting certain things and it was easy to predict how it ended.

To top off the less than original storyline, the writing this time around wasn't the beautiful flowing prose of
Kami
Feb 05, 2013 Kami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
- This wasn't as good as the first two. It suffered from middle book syndrome.

- Not a lot happened in the story. If all the fluff and traveling was taken out, this would be a very short book.

- Merlin is so dumb.

- I really liked Hallia and Eremon. They were fun new characters, and I just like the whole idea of deer people.

- I don't think the dragon was evil, and I'm glad that was addressed.

- There was a lot of traveling back and forth, and I just felt like if Merlin had done things in order, he
Corrine
Jul 23, 2015 Corrine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book series lumps many religious worldviews into one, so it seemed a spiritually potentially confusing read for a young audience. It was average as far as how well it was written, and I didn't think the character development of Merlin was very well done. But mostly I didn't care for the one-religion-from-all-religions presentation.
Aleina
Feb 25, 2016 Aleina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
This one I remembered most for its dragon. I learned so much and the whole "all life is precious" seems to ring through here more than ever. The dragon was used well in the story and the way Merlin had to face these challenges or "Fires" was breathtaking and just as capturing as the last.
Ryan Mcquiston
Apr 04, 2014 Ryan Mcquiston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Céline FrenchAlps
Merlin, now 14 years old, is said to have killed all the eggs of the dragon. He has to prove that (of course!) it's not him, and look for the real murderer while looking for his lost powers...
Good suspense, I really got into this story and I'm really impatient to finish the series!
Marie Danielle
Aug 10, 2014 Marie Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! Took me long to finish because i was distracted by other books but overall it was an outstanding book.

Theme: Things are usually not as bad as you think they will be.

Theme: It is impossible to be certain about things.

Theme: It is possible to survive against all odds.

Theme: Act kindly without seeking ultimate reasons. Practice random acts of kindness.

Theme: Look before you leap.

Theme: Accepting a challenge leads to positive results.

Theme: Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather th
Pearl Gariano
Jan 23, 2014 Pearl Gariano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Merlin learnt some very important lessons and was able to make some great friends. One of my favourite scenes is where Merlin tells a story with Eremon and Hallia because it reminded me that I used to play that game as a child. I think it is very important that Merlin was open minded enough to change his first opinion on dragons and (trying not to give spoilers) while the ending was sad it also promises hope for the future.
Michael
Oct 07, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book sometime in middle school, 1998ish. My five star review was based on my impression of the book then--which I found fabulous.
Steve Garvin
Feb 16, 2015 Steve Garvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I thought this had a much better pace than the second. The challenges were much more demanding for Merlin.
Madeleine
Here we go again. Yet again Merlin overcomes remarkable challenges. Proves he is a true wizard and displats remarkable courage. He makes new friends and keeps the old and everything is silver and gold! YAY! Only he has to defeat a dragon and some nasty, magic-sucking beasts called kreelixes and the loss of his powers. Some serious Placebo going on there.... And he has to deal with the trials of love. Love between himself and his sister, love between his mother and his mentor. To add to his troub ...more
Nancy
Aug 29, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good series so far. Reading them from One-Click Digital from our library system. They only have 3 so I will have to find the other ones elsewhere!
Anne De casa
Sep 20, 2015 Anne De casa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's heart warming to find a different side to dragons.
Emily
Jan 12, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outside-reading
Like the two books before this, I loved following Merlin through his development, though it isn't as apparent as the rest of the series. While he still matures as a wizard, his learning in this book is directed more toward his humanity. Despite the overwhelming hopelessness of his responsibility, he works through death to face it, along the way winning the trust of valuable friends. In style, this book is identical to the others, but for me, it just doesn't get old. I loved the entire series thr ...more
Eric Evans
Oct 03, 2015 Eric Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little predictable, but some great work on the foundation of Merlin.
  • I Am Mordred
  • King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • The Arkadians
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)
  • Grail Prince
  • The Stone Light (Dark Reflections, #2)
  • Lancelot Du Lethe
  • The Serpent and the Grail (Arthor, #4)
  • The Well Between The Worlds (Lyonesse, #1)
  • Into Battle (The Seventh Tower, #5)
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. Though he’d dreamed of becoming a writer, he couldn’t find anyone to publish his first novel. He joined a business, eventually became president, then decided to try again. So in 1990, he surprised his business partners by moving back to Colorado to become a writer and conservationist. Since then he has written o ...more
More about T.A. Barron...

Merlin (6 books)
  • The Lost Years (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1)
  • The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2)
  • The Mirror of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4)
  • The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5)
  • The Lost Years Of Merlin Saga (Five Volume Box Set)

“Eremon liked to say that hooves can make speed, while hands can make music.” 5 likes