The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3)

The Fires of Merlin (Merlin #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  5,304 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The dragon called Wings of Fire has awakened from his enchanted slumber. And only Merlin -- the descendent of the wizard who first defeated the dragon -- possesses the power to stop him.
Published September 1st 2000 by Ace (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Fires of Merlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fires of Merlin

SIMON Karine
Je tiens tout d’abord à remercier, une nouvelle fois, les éditions Nathan, pour m’avoir permis de découvrir ce roman, en avant-première. Je me suis une nouvelle fois régalée, avec les aventures du jeune merlin, sur l’Ile de Fincayra.

Merlin qui manque encore de confiance en lui, et doute encore de pouvoir devenir un puissant enchanteur, va devoir dans ce tome, affronter un terrible dragon. En effet, Valdearg qui avait été plongé dans un sommeil profond depuis de longues années. Mais pourquoi s’es...more
Grayson Schoeller
Even though there were some bad things about this book, it was still amazingly awesome! One of the bad things i didn't like too much was the fact that the dragon was someone we have seen before and it kinda was weird considering that when we saw him before, the whole reason that he didn't eat Merlin was because a fool got him to laugh unintelligent. Another thing that bugged me was that Merlin somehow falls in love with a deer person which is kinda weird. on the positive side, he shows kids tha...more
Nshslibrary
Even the great wizard Merlin had a childhood. Merlin begins his journey to discover who he really is and where he came from when in a fit of rage he accidentally set a fire using magic, and while trying to save someone from the fire he lost his eyesight. The book that I am reviewing is Merlin the Raging Fires by T.A. Barron. In this book Merlin must fight a dragon that threatens the magical island of Fincayra, but the dragon isn't the only thing that wants him dead. This book and the rest of the...more
Carrie Slager
The stakes are higher than ever before in The Fires of Merlin, the third book in The Lost Years of Merlin epic. Merlin must save Fincayra once again, but this time it may cost him his life. With Wings of Fire awakening, Merlin and Rhia must go on a dangerous adventure that will take them across Fincayra once more, meeting all kinds of interesting people and creatures.

What I really love about T. A. Barron’s writing is that he uses a variety of fantasy creatures, rather than just sticking with all...more
Beau
For a lovely rant on the issue of the contrivance of occurrences that just so happen to move the story go here .

As to the rest of the book, I found it to be particularly less episodic in comparison to the other books, however I believe it does lack some progression that the other books have. The first part seems to move slowly, while the second part seems to be kind of useless, beyond the introduction of Eremon and Hallia.

I wanted more Rhia and Cairpre. Perhaps it's my own love of those charac...more
Kyler Place
Merlin is minding his own business when, for the first time not his fault, problems arise in Fincayra. The emperor dragon Valdearg has awoken, and he is not pleased. Merlin must stop him, but how can he do so with his powers lost to him?

This is perhaps my favorite book in the series so far. The story has changed pace, but I feel that it does a much better job than the first two. The dialogue has lost some of its wooden character, which is fortunate. My biggest concern is that T. A. Barron seems...more
Ptitelfe
Ici, on voit Merlin s'engager dans une vraie quête, celle d'affronter un dragon enragé, Valdearg, qui est persuadé qu'un des ascendants de Merlin, voire l'enchanteur lui même, a tué ses oeufs.

Comme dans les autres romans, ce livre est découpé en trois parties. Il va devoir faire route seul pendant un moment mais fera vite la rencontre de deux personnages qui vont devenir important dans sa quête et dans la recherche de soi.

Il devient plus humble, et donc plus supportable. Les quelques pertes qui...more
Ashley
In the Fires of Merlin, Merlin has to face many challenges that all lead up to his greatest challenge of defeating the dragon, Valdearg. These challenges include avoiding the magic-eating Kreelixes, recovering the Galator from Damnu, and discovering the secrets of the Wheel of Wye. After facing many challenges in this novel, Merlin learns a couple things about himself and others. He learns that magic is within himself, and that he cannot judge other people or creatures as evil just because they...more
Devin
Being the third book of the story of Merlin’s young years of growth we begin to expect more out of the fledgling wizard. As usual things don’t go exactly as planned, but that doesn’t mean that we’re let down, either. For a time during this adventure, Merlin is left without the use of his powers, but that doesn’t mean that he is completely hopeless. In fact, it is because of this that we see some important growth in him. Merlin doesn’t make as many mistakes this time, which is a relief for me aft...more
Benjamin Thomas
The "Lost Years of Merlin" series is not a must-read series of books for Arthurian scholars nor for fans of Merlin, in general. It is not part of any 'canon' nor does it purport to be the definitive story of Merlin's youth. What it is, however, is a nicely done story, told in a pleasing way and aimed at the YA market. The author does do a good job of recycling some Welsh history and legend as well as tell a fine story.

I had read the first two books quite a few years ago, back when my children we...more
Heather
I loved this book. I happened upon 3 of the 5 book series at the DI. This is the second book in the series and so far the best. It covers family devotion, pride vs. humility and the true power of humility versus the false power of pride, life lessons, loyalty to mission, a willingness to sacrifice for a greater good. I thought men's and women's role were exemplified beautifully in this book. Merlin sets out on a quest to save his mother who is dying as a consequence of his pride. His friend, Rhi...more
Rachel
Jun 20, 2014 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of arthurian legend, those who have read earlier books
Shelves: fantasy
For those who already have enjoyed the earlier two books of the series, this novel follows in the same vein, bringing back old friends like Rhia and Carapre, while also introducing new ones. Be sure to read the first two books prior to reading this one.

I enjoyed the book. It's a nice, quick read--perfect for summer reading or as a break between more serious books. At times, the plot was predictable, but it was still enjoyable and had a nice ending.
Megan Conway
The first two books in this series were extremely well written by my standards and I really enjoyed both their stories, but THE RAGING FIRES was a completely different story. Though it's obvious Merlin grows throughout the book, the story seemed like the same like of thing. There wasn't much originality and I found myself expecting certain things and it was easy to predict how it ended.

To top off the less than original storyline, the writing this time around wasn't the beautiful flowing prose of...more
Kami
- This wasn't as good as the first two. It suffered from middle book syndrome.

- Not a lot happened in the story. If all the fluff and traveling was taken out, this would be a very short book.

- Merlin is so dumb.

- I really liked Hallia and Eremon. They were fun new characters, and I just like the whole idea of deer people.

- I don't think the dragon was evil, and I'm glad that was addressed.

- There was a lot of traveling back and forth, and I just felt like if Merlin had done things in order, he...more
Ryan Mcquiston
Dreamwalker
Fabulous! Took me long to finish because i was distracted by other books but overall it was an outstanding book.

Theme: Things are usually not as bad as you think they will be.

Theme: It is impossible to be certain about things.

Theme: It is possible to survive against all odds.

Theme: Act kindly without seeking ultimate reasons. Practice random acts of kindness.

Theme: Look before you leap.

Theme: Accepting a challenge leads to positive results.

Theme: Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather th...more
Pearl Gariano
I loved this book. Merlin learnt some very important lessons and was able to make some great friends. One of my favourite scenes is where Merlin tells a story with Eremon and Hallia because it reminded me that I used to play that game as a child. I think it is very important that Merlin was open minded enough to change his first opinion on dragons and (trying not to give spoilers) while the ending was sad it also promises hope for the future.
Madeleine
Here we go again. Yet again Merlin overcomes remarkable challenges. Proves he is a true wizard and displats remarkable courage. He makes new friends and keeps the old and everything is silver and gold! YAY! Only he has to defeat a dragon and some nasty, magic-sucking beasts called kreelixes and the loss of his powers. Some serious Placebo going on there.... And he has to deal with the trials of love. Love between himself and his sister, love between his mother and his mentor. To add to his troub...more
Emily
Like the two books before this, I loved following Merlin through his development, though it isn't as apparent as the rest of the series. While he still matures as a wizard, his learning in this book is directed more toward his humanity. Despite the overwhelming hopelessness of his responsibility, he works through death to face it, along the way winning the trust of valuable friends. In style, this book is identical to the others, but for me, it just doesn't get old. I loved the entire series thr...more
Karolinde (Kari)
My only real complaint with any of The Lost Years of Merlin books is that they seem to short. The stories seem to want to be developed more. I know that it is in part a problem of level, but the great stories seem stunted at times.

The plus of this book is the look at Merlin as a boy finding his first love and his first step at looking at the world through different eyes. A mighty dragon has come to wreak revenge on the killer of his offspring. Only Merlin has the ability to save his new world.
Oct 20, 2007 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12+
Shelves: really-enjoyed
I just finished this book, and I must say that I really enjoyed reading this. I would recommend it to anyone who has read the first two books of the saga, and if you haven't- I recommend the first 2! :] I did feel like the protagonist, Merlin, was always on a deadline of some sort. It got old after the first three crises where he 'just made it on time.' Other than that, I loved this novel and I'm ecstatically starting the fourth book today!
Sheila
I would have to agree on some of the reviews. I believe it is a great storyline and the obstacles that he goes through is sort of a magical adventure.
My disappointment is with the middle of the story. Where is it? Merlin gets pretty lost. I really wish the author would of stopped with the 2nd book. I will finish the last two books though.
Joel
in this book the evil dragon veldearg awakens because someone has brutally murdered his children from inside thier eggs and so the dragon blames merlin because merlin is the descendant of his old enemy tuatha so merlin must face the dragon but is the dragon actually evil or is he just a father trying to avenge his childrens death?
Alex T.
I liked this book. I liked this book because Merlin must face the dragon alone. He doesn't have his magical staff, his powers or the Galator. So all he has to defeat this dragon with is Excalibar and his friends. I would reccomend this book to fantasy lovers because it has magic, dragons and wizards in it.
♥Xeni♥
Okay, so Merlin starts to get even more annoying in this book. He was only slightly annoying before, but in this one he just gets dumb and lets his emotions guide him more than usual. Not even the cool dragon makes up for the lack of characters in this book. Plot-wise, though, it's not half bad.
Alex
As with the other books in this series, not a particularly challenging read, but a wonderful story. I've been reading plenty of slow-going non-fictions and long, drawn-out novels lately and this series was the perfect thing to give myself a little break without sacrificing quality.
Luis Correa
This one had some nice buildup, it might just be because I didn't remember it as well as the others, so I was actually curious what happened, and then, I remembered why I had forgotten it: the climax was lame. It's refreshing reading about characters with tangible goals, for once.
Amy
I am a definite fan of T. A. Barron his books are really good. Especially the Merlin ones, but that could just be because I'm a bigger fan of Merlin era stories than anything else.
Jamie Makis
This is darker than the first two books in the series and my favourite so far. I enjoyed the descriptions of the harsh landscapes and weather! Following Merlin on this adventure, there was a real sense of urgency and desperation.. excited to continue the story!
  • I Am Mordred
  • The Young Merlin Trilogy
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • At the Crossing Places (Arthur Trilogy, #2)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Merlin
  • Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • The Iron Ring
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Into Battle (The Seventh Tower, #5)
  • Grail (The Pendragon Cycle, #5)
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. Though he’d dreamed of becoming a writer, he couldn’t find anyone to publish his first novel. He joined a business, eventually became president, then decided to try again. So in 1990, he surprised his business partners by moving back to Colorado to become a writer and conservationist. Since then he has written o...more
More about T.A. Barron...
The Lost Years (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1) The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2) The Mirror of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4) The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5) Child of the Dark Prophecy (The Great Tree of Avalon, #1)

“Eremon liked to say that hooves can make speed, while hands can make music.” 4 likes