Start by marking “The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)

The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia #5)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Lucia and Mapp's adventures in Tilling continue in LUCIA'S PROGRESS, previously published in the U.S. as THE WORSHIPFUL LUCIA. In this volume both Lucia and Mapp stand for election to the Town Council, and Lucia speculates in gold shares. While re-decorating Miss Mapp's house, Lucia discovers and hide the remains of a Roman Villa. Excitements ensue!
Published March 28th 1987 by Harper Perennial (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about The Worshipful Lucia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worshipful Lucia

Mummy
Geez, was this written by an upper middle-class chap for the amusement of other upper middle-class folk after having read Jane Austen and Mrs. Gaskell? This is by no means the wonderful, sly, comedy of manners that Austen wrote so exquisitely, nor the lovely involvement of the world of Cranford that Mrs. Gaskell (when not feeling socially and politically motivated) wrote about. Angst-ridden social climbers, amusing to his intended audience or those who had aspirations to be that class, but not t ...more
Tony
22. Benson, E. F. LUCIA’S PROGRESS (Originally published in the U.S. under the title, “The Worshipful Lucia.”). (1935). ****.
This novel continues the adventures of Lucia and Mapp in the village of Tilling. We encounter all of the usual characters of the village: Mapp, Lucia, Georgie, Diva, Mrs. Poppitt, Lady Ambermere and Pug. In this installment, Lucia is turning fifty-years old and realizes that she has not accomplished a single stellar act in her whole life. She has managed to keep busy with
Sally
It's another installment in the lives of Lucia and Mapp and the circle of acquaintances in Tilling, with more of the social manipulations that are the essence of these stories. You could read any of the 6 books that have been grouped into a series called "Make Way for Lucia" as stand-alones, but I have enjoyed reading them in order. I like these E. F. Benson stories as much as I like P. G. Wodehouse Blandings stories, and perhaps even a little more. It is amazing how these can be stories about u ...more
Bob
As is only to be expected, as our characters move toward the late 1920s, they begin to be swept up in the wave of financial speculation that led up to the Wall Street crash of 1929, though it is some sense a plot contrivance to allow one character to get rather richer and one somewhat poorer, which allows certain other events to follow.
It seems noteworthy to contemporary minds that every character in these books, regardless of income, relies on their gardens for a substantial portion of their pr
Lindley Walter-smith
The second book about Lucia's battle with Miss Mapp, now successfully Mistress Mapp-Flint, for social supremacy in Tilling. Lucia takes up archeology, the money market and politics, and her platonic romance with Georgie comes to a crisis. Just absolutely scrumptious and laced with poison, especially when Elizabeth is involved.
Mara
More Mapp and Lucia rivalry, which is really what makes these books so much fun.
Ivonne Rovira
I wonder how how E.F. Benson devised the idea of including Emmeline "Lucia" Lucas and Elizabeth Mapp, both conniving, social-climbing queen bees, in the same book. I can imagine it now: In a moment of leisure, Benson suddenly had a stroke of brilliance: Include Mrs. Lucas and Miss Mapp in the same novel and watch the fur fly!

Elizabeth Mapp has long been the uncontested queen of Tilling society -- at least in her own mind; however, when Lucia takes Mapp's cottage for a two-month holiday, she can
June Louise
"'I must put up in large capital letters over my bed 'I am fifty'', she thought as she let herself into her house,'and that will remind me every morning and evening that I've done nothing yet which will be remembered after I am gone. I've been busy (I will say that for myself) but beyond giving others a few hours of enchantment at the piano, and helping them to keep supple, I've done nothing for the world or indeed for Tilling. I must take myself in hand.'"

Lucia's Progress continues the comic ri
Ed Lehman
The fifth volume in E.F. Benson's Lucia series.... and still excellent fun. Lucia the focus of all social groups in the small English town of Tilling once again butts heads...but, in an ever-so English and polite manner, with her neighbor and rival Elizabeth Mapp. Mapp, newly married, leads others to wrongfully believe she is pregnant. Lucia and Mapp run against each other for the Town Council. They decide to swap homes. Lucia discovers Roman antiquities in her new garden-- or does she? Lucia gu ...more
Spencer
Life is never dull in Tilling. Lucia is turning 50 and having a mid-life crisis, Georgie is battling a case of shingles, Elizabeth is pushing Benjy into running for public office, and Lucia decides to dabble in the stock market. Nothing is more thrilling in Tilling than a competitive political campaign or competitive market investing. It's interesting to read that stockbrokers were advocating "dollar cost averaging" even in 1932. Lucia is on a roll of one success after another, making up for wha ...more
Kiran
Far less amusing than any of the other books in this "Mapp & Lucia" series. But certainly action-packed and full of surprises (view spoiler)
Unless you're going to read all 6 of the "Mapp & Lucia" (in order) then I would recommend sticking just to the excellent "Queen Lucia" and "Mapp & Lucia".
April
It's like a P.G. Wodehouse and Elizabeth Gaskell soap opera. :D
R.J.
Another fabulous turn by Lucia. . i enjoyed that this book allowed you more insight into her own thinking rather than people's sharp observations of her continual triumphs and successes. Never have i enjoyed a book with so little plot and such intra-village intrigue. Soo looking forward to Benson's last Lucia book--and the two estate-commissioned sequels.
Gisela Claveria
Jan 08, 2008 Gisela Claveria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gisela by: Lucy Ortiz
Shelves: humorous
This is a continuation of the Lucia series and it's just as entertaining and witty as the rest of the books. This is a nice quick and light hearted read for anyone that is amused by english humor and social commentary.
David
Brilliant. It starts off a bit slowly but once it hits its stride, it is simply wonderful, and the Wyses' catastrophic dinner party is among the funniest individual scenes of the whole series.
Linera
Listening to audio book, reader is Prunella Scales, who played Elizabeth Mapp in the BBC production, wonderful voice, clear understanding of the story and the characters.
Brooke
These books keep getting better and better.
Patricia
This didn't hit the mark for me as well as the other Mapp and Lucia books, but it is a necessary piece -- read these in sequence.
Nancy
I love everything Benson has written and have read the Lucia novels at least six times. They never grow old for me.
☯Bettie☯
Beth
I was suffering from the late February blahs, so this was perfect. BEST. SERIES. EVER.
Katie
entirely delightful. like jeeves & wooster but set in miss marple's hometown.
Susan
Love these books -- but the Moonlight Sonata does get tarsome.
Colleen
I love this series. I'm sad that I only have one more to go.
Cathy
Loved the whole series. Looking for something like it now.
  • The Diary of a Provincial Lady
  • The Unrest-Cure and Other Stories
  • Claudine And Annie
  • Wild Strawberries
  • Cranford & Selected Short Stories
  • A Few Green Leaves
  • Peace
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Luck of the Bodkins
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
  • Gilligan's Wake: A Novel
  • A Portrait Of Jane Austen
  • A Sentimental Journey and Other Writings
  • Sex Lives of the Kings & Queens of England: An Irreverent Expose of the Monarchs from Henry VIII to the Present Day
  • The Sirens Sang of Murder (Hilary Tamar, #3)
  • Heart of the West
Edward Frederic Benson wrote comic novels, ghost stories, novels of manners, memoirs and reminiscences, and informal biographies -- almost 100 books in total.
More about E.F. Benson...

Lucia (6 books)
  • Queen Lucia
  • Miss Mapp (Lucia, #2)
  • Lucia in London (Lucia, #3)
  • Mapp and Lucia (Lucia, #4)
  • Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)
Queen Lucia Mapp and Lucia (Lucia, #4) Miss Mapp (Lucia, #2) Lucia in London (Lucia, #3) Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)