Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage

Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  29 reviews
New details of the remarkable relationship between two leaders who teamed up to change history.

It?s well known that Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher were close allies and kindred political spirits. During their eight overlapping years as U.S. president and UK prime minister, they stood united for free markets, low taxes, and a strong defense against communism. But just...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Sentinel Trade (first published November 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher

David Carraturo
I found this book very insightful but a bit frustrating. I enjoyed the underlying story of the friendship of the two leaders, Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. I also found the details behind the many geopolitical and economic policy decisions made to be quite interesting. A few things did bother me though I would still recommend this to any political wonk. First, it was very dry at times. The beginning chapters about the respective leaders rise to political fame was engrossing, but once the...more
Heather
This was a fascinating character study on two indelible figures in conservative politics. Having grown up in this period but not having been so cognizant of all that was going on around me, it was interesting to get the back story on events in history like the Falklands war, the invasion of Grenada and the assassination attempt on President Reagan.

The "special relationship" that the United States shares with Great Britain seems at odds with our start at the great experiment of democracy. Howeve...more
Doug
A good book about two great leaders, which almost reads like a novel. The book explores the relationship between Regan and Thatcher, there beliefs, their agreements, and their differences, but in they end always presenting an united from to the world.

The stories about the Falklands, Grenada, the relations with the various Russian leaders and Gorbachev, their confrontations with unions and the attempts on their lives demonstrates their leadership styles and their approach to the various problems...more
Sean Crowley
Excellent history of the parallel lives and interaction of these two giants of later 20th Century Politics.
Elizabeth S
This book is one of the most interesting bio. I have read in a long time. The connection between Thatcher and Reagan was one of the most important in modern history. They accomplished so much together.
The parallels between their lives was part of what drew them together as well as political agreement. This book also details some of the character traits that brought them to the point they were in.
The only thing that is a real pity is that Margaret Thatcher is not treated with the respect due...more
Simcha Levental
The day Thatcher died and the media did not stop talking about her in so many conflicting ways I noticed I do not know enough about this duo. This book seamed well suited to answer many of my questions. The beginning and the end of the book are less interesting and maybe even less relevant to the days they governed but the focus on the personalities and their upbringing does shed a light on their decision making.
Michael Harris
Another friends of HHI library find. I have read a number of books about and by both Reagan and Thatcher but found this walk through their common years as Heads of their Countries fascinating. They were ideologically in sync and together, through an unusual personal and professional collaboration contributed to an era of peace, prosperity and financial strengthening of their countries.
Adam
This book popped up when I was searching for another Thatcher book I want to read. Forgot about this one. Nice story on the unlikely relationship between Thatcher and Reagan, how they became political soul mates, and how their relationship was one full of debate at times. Enjoyed this which is written more from the British and Thatcher perspective.
Judy
A look at the personal friendship, including its spats and sacrifices, of Reagan and Thatcher, whose terms overlapped during the eight years Reagan was President. I was surprised at the instant liking they took to each other, but after reading this book, I realized how much they had in common, both personally and politically.
Jason Arant
An excellent work touching the high points of the alliance between Reagan and Thatcher. The relationship between these two Cold War leaders was very reminiscent of Churchill and Roosevelt's relationship depicted in "Churchill and America". A great read!
David R.
An insightful thesis. Wapshott, I think, overreaches in his concept, and the background biographical matter is handled awkwardly. But by and large he achieves an understanding Edmund Morris, for example, did not.
Tom Schulte
This was a great read; biographies of two iconic 20th Century political figures intertwined with each other against the backdrop of global power shifts and the evolution what has come to be American conservatism.
Harley
Excellent exploration of the relationship between Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. This is neither a complete history or biography. The focus is on the relationship and how they came to share similar beliefs.
Michael Taylor
An outstanding book that brings a more personal level to the historic relationship between the two leaders. A valuable addition to the growing number of books putting the Reagan years in perspective.
Walter Herrick
This book tells the rise to power of these two great leaders in the English-Speaking world. It was funny, witty, and very in-depth! It made me realize why I loved President Reagan.
Andy
I really enjoyed this book which described the relationship between President Reagan and PM Thatcher. They tended to keep their differences private and portrayed a united front.
Gary
Very intereating. She is a powerful lady and is a staunch anticommunist.
Don
Interesting read.
Katelyn Carty
Katelyn Carty is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Nicholas Wapshott is a journalist and the author of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage. A former senior editor at The Times of London and the New York Sun, he lives in New York.
More about Nicholas Wapshott...
Keynes Hayek: The Clash that Defined Modern Economics Carol Reed: A Biography Peter O'Toole: A Biography Rex Harrison Man Between