Start by marking “Code Name God: The Spiritual Odyssey of a Man of Science” as Want to Read:
Code Name God: The Spiritual Odyssey of a Man of Science

Code Name God: The Spiritual Odyssey of a Man of Science

The inventor of the technology that has made LASIK eye surgery possible shares his personal crisis of faith as a man of science who, after a successful career, confronted the emptiness of existence. Original.
Published May 1st 2005 by The Crossroad Publishing Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Code Name God, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Ajay
Oct 24, 2013 Ajay rated it liked it
The first half of the book flows well like an autobiography and is pretty touching at times. Personally I felt some level of gloating at the initial pages but then his rags to riches story completely justified it.

The flow of his personal life goes on well till it reaches some proverbial brick wall where it suddenly takes a massive detour and goes on to give a brief summary of everything related to physics, metaphysics, with some sprinkle of spirituality in attempt to blend it seamlessly. Althou
Shrutarsi
May 21, 2012 Shrutarsi rated it really liked it
A journey from Bengal to Bel Air, the struggle of a boy from an impoverished background during the turbulent periods of famine and freedom struggle, a life profoundly influenced by the ideals of Gandhi and other social thinkers. The future discoverer of laser technology, which has now facilitated the LASIK technology had very little of his father who was a freedom fighter and a teacher but somewhere deep down below his teachings led him higher. But to me, a certain hypocrisy enshrouds the person ...more
Rick Biswas
Jan 25, 2013 Rick Biswas rated it really liked it
The book helps you to believe in spirituality scientifically as well as to learn the ways of Meditation for betterment of your health and mind. And as the author proved the existence of some outer power on us and the uni/multiverse by some rules and experiment in quantum physics you are bound to believe in it as because its all scientific. The author has considered the outer power as "Brahmma".

Harshit Goel
Jan 04, 2017 Harshit Goel rated it liked it
The book sounds good in terms of language and vocabulary, and a few good concepts related to science are also mentioned. But half of the book digresses from its purported motive. It talks about the life of author, why he chose to write on the matter, and his ideologies. Agreed that the name of the book itself is in terms of "Odyssey" but one has to search for the pages where the word "spirituality" is mentioned.
In a positive note, if one wants to gain some knowledge of how this universe come in
Venky
Jan 15, 2015 Venky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibliocase
Employing a unique blend of heady Quantum Physics and holistic Philosophy, Dr.Mani Bhaumik strives to bridge the gap between Science and religion. Trying to demonstrate that the philosophies of Buddha are not in conflict with the propagation of Niels Bohr and that Plato and Penrose have a common confluence rather than an apparent contradiction, Dr,Bhaumik links the advance of science with the eternal effervescence of spirituality.

Tracing his own humble beginnings from a mud floor in the village
Titas (Emperor)
Feb 11, 2015 Titas (Emperor) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Mani Bhaumik is a scientist who came up from a very very rural area of West Bengal, India. As another Science student from West Bengal, he has always been a great idol for me. This book came to my hands when I knew almost nothing about him. Apart from any study books this was the first book i read by a scientist.
But this is not about description or elaboration of scientific facts or topics. Mr. Bhaumik tells us about himself, how he had to struggle to be what he is. Then comes the life of a wea
Tamojit Maiti
Mar 08, 2016 Tamojit Maiti rated it it was amazing
A very moving narrative, to say the least.

This book is not just a rags-to-riches story of an Indian village boy who made it big in the international scenario, nor is it just a spiritual rambling of a befuddled scientist who finds earthly pleasures a tad trifle. This is about the journey of an exceptional man from an extremely humble background who even in his days of glory and fame sought to keep his feet on the very mud walls of his childhood home where he once grew up. It's a story of truly f
Rajesh
Jun 01, 2013 Rajesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian
Although redolent of it, I found this a little different from Stephen Hawking's The Theory of Everything & Michio Kaku's Parallel worlds, which I had read quite a while ago. The first half feels like an autobiography of sorts after which there comes a flash flood of physical theory before finally eliciting the need for both the physical & metaphysical.

I suppose, what science cant explain becomes metaphysical. And as science does not have concrete answers to what existed before singularit
Soumya
Nov 22, 2015 Soumya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly exceptional book trying to bridge the gap between science and spirituality. Dr. Mani Bhaumik presents his case about the presence of a universal consciousness we all call God with the help of Quantum Mechanics as well as religious philosophy and how science has come so close to unveiling this final mystery. He also describes the way to connect with this consciousness through meditation with such clarity and beauty that one is tempted to try it at once ! I for myself, though havin ...more
Louise Coutts
Apr 18, 2016 Louise Coutts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't figure out why the author spent over half of the book telling his life story (interesting as it was), before getting into science in detail, except for possibly gaining the reader's trust, before he subsequently took everyone on a whistle stop tour linking physics, space, religion, consciousness and meditation. It made the book a weird combination of personal and scientific, which is not usually found in academia, though for me, as I could relate to the author, it worked. No doubt having ...more
Ramona
Apr 13, 2012 Ramona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating viewpoint, of a man who met the most spiritually represented man of India, Ghandi and yet to have left behind his spiritual culture for the twentieth centures great invention the lazer and was on "Life of the rich and famous". His life is a rollercoaster of spiritual wealth to monitary fame. His path leads back to the need for balance, that science and god can find a shared path and only in the last 200 years have we divided them... a worth while read. I finally understand quantum ...more
Saiisha
Sep 23, 2014 Saiisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-memoir
"We must at least ask the question: What could the world of science tell us about the nature of God?" And this is what author Mani Bhaumik proceeds to do in his book, Code Name: God.

I’m shocked that this book isn’t better known. I don’t remember how I came across it, but now that I have, it’s my responsibility to tell more people about it. It will appeal to the Thinker types among you, those that follow the Jnana Yoga path, although the “jnana” (knowledge) imparted in this book is more of a scie
Rajiv Bhattacharya
Aug 19, 2013 Rajiv Bhattacharya rated it did not like it
I was quite disappointed by this book. While I was expecting a spiritual journey of physicist I found the book to be nothing of that sort. The book starts of with the childhood of the author with a focus on the poor conditions he was brought up in , moves on to references of India's freedom struggle , mindles rambling of physics concepts ( I failed to see the link with the subject ) and ends with the authors note on why meditation is a good practice . In short none of the parts of the book have ...more
Metaphor
9 years ago this book made very little sense to me. Now it assures me that what I think may make not just sense but reality itself, which also is actually a part of sense. If that does not make sense, well, one day, it will. The quantum potentiality took roughly 9 years of Earth Time to fully manifest itself in the future for me. Space Time is wrapped but its more than just that. The rabbit hole goes deeper. Oh! Alice! Wonderland is right here. And If you fear, just believe and remember to breat ...more
Feroz Khan Hamid
Jul 17, 2012 Feroz Khan Hamid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bro-library-read
The starting of the book is the life story of Mani Bhaumik - how he survived through his harsh childhood, and how his dreams were coming true... As we keep on reading, we go through his spiritual journey as well. Towards the end of the book, he talks about metaphysics, spirituality and how its connected with science. Just pure science :) His true passions about science and how it is connected with meditation, etc are portrayed by him in this book. I loved this book :)
Sugan
Aug 07, 2011 Sugan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author Mani Bhaumik starts explaining how he ended up doing research in spirituality. He tells us his story from rags to riches. And then what made him go in search of explanation for spirituality.

The scientist explains spiritaulity with science and conlcudes that God exists. He refers to a lot of Physics theories to conclude at this point.

I felt it dificult to understand the last few chapters in which he dives deep into the theories of Physics. Other than that the book is fine.
Roxanne
Sep 21, 2015 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
I have been looking for a very simple explanation of quantum theory - a "Quantum Physics for Dummies" for dummies. Bhaumik does the best job, so far. I could possibly converse on the topic at a cocktail party now.

This book is part memoir, part explanation of theory, largely metaphysical. Well-written, smooth, interesting, and useful.
Anil
Jan 27, 2016 Anil added it
Loved the book more for the language used by the author. First 13 chapters were interesting about the struggles author went through. The rest of the book delves deeper into quantum physics - starts with some simple explanation, but gets complicated as the book progresses. Still, a lot of thought provoking ideas, makes you look the world in a different perspective. Worth a read.
M
Jun 06, 2016 M rated it liked it
An extremely well written narrative of one scientist's spiritual view of the world. Mani's biography is very interesting and he integrates it well with the second part of the book. The second part is the usual "quantum metaphysics" analysis so in vogue today that unites physics with spirituality.
Araf Karsh
There is a recent trend in which lot of writers of meta-physics likes to connect it to pure science so that they can looked more relevant in todays scientific world. However, its an interesting read or rather a spiritual journey if thats the path you would like to travel...
Sanjay
May 13, 2008 Sanjay rated it really liked it
A scientist attempts to explain the existence of god through advanced physics. The author tells the story of his life (which is a great story in and of itself) and then relates his life and scientific knowledge to the existence of God.
Binny Malik
Feb 02, 2015 Binny Malik rated it liked it
It's a great perspective on science and spirituality. Also demonstrates the hardships faced by people in pre-independent India. More than anything else, it's a great autobiographical take on the author, Mani Bhaumik's life.
Jacqueline
Jan 20, 2015 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
there is something about theoretical physicist and spirituality... the likes of Mr.Abdul Kalam, Mr. Einstein and now Mr Bhaumik. Science proves the existence of god and not the contrary.
I enjoyed the first half and the latter seems like a summary of theories which proves the existence of God.
Ashraf Abbas
Sep 23, 2012 Ashraf Abbas rated it liked it
"Science without religion is lame,
Religion without science is blind" - Einstein

Good read for those want to read something on the marriage between science and religion...

Abhay
Jan 20, 2013 Abhay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book looked very promising at the beginning but after first half (or so), I felt the author got lost in himself way too much and somewhere it made me lose my interest in the book altogether.
Venkose Subbu
Sep 08, 2012 Venkose Subbu rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The simplest explanation of quantum physics I've come across yet! And trying to understand god is a cherry topping!
Angsuman
Angsuman rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Joel James
Joel James rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Shubha Mishra
Shubha Mishra rated it did not like it
Oct 11, 2013
Ankur Acharya
Ankur Acharya rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Abol Tabol: The Nonsense World of Sukumar Ray
  • Notebooks 1951-1959
  • Programming Erlang
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • Men of Steel: India's Business leaders in candid conversation
  • শরৎ সাহিত্য সমগ্র
  • Pleasures and Days
  • Crude: The Story of Oil
  • Love, Sex & Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives
  • Uncle Fred: An Omnibus
  • What on Earth Happened?... In Brief: The Planet, Life & People from the Big Bang to the Present Day

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mani Lal Bhaumik is an Indian-born American physicist. He is a lecturer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist.
His early contributions to laser technology are exemplified by the development of the excimer laser at the Northrop Corporation Research and Technology Center in Los Angeles. As team leader, Dr. Bhaumik announced the successful demonstration of the world's first efficient excimer laser at the
More about Mani Bhaumik...