Baptism by Fire: Eight Presidents Who Took Office in Times of Crisis

Baptism by Fire: Eight Presidents Who Took Office in Times of Crisis

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Americans have long been defined by how they face adversity. This is perhaps nowhere more evident than in how the nation’s chief executive has tackled myriad issues upon entering the White House. The ways that U.S. presidents handle the vast responsibilities of the Oval Office determine the fate of the nation---and, in many cases, the fate of the world.

In this fascinating...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Baptism by Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baptism by Fire

Gary Schantz
I really enjoyed this book for its introspective look at the situations that eight presidents came into office having to deal with.

While some of the situations have been told before, I am still a big believer that the only President who did the right thing despite his political career implications was President Ford.

This was a man who was twice handed very difficult situations to deal with (one as a member of the Warren Commission looking into President Kennedy's murder and then 10 years later h...more
Maryclaire Zampogna
I learned many things that I either forgot in history class or weren't informed of. This books brings attention to the second in command and what the results will be. It also tells of troubled waters as the new president learns from the old. It is a great update in the presidents.
Heather
It took a little effort to get into but is well worth it. Note to conservative-minded readers: you will not like the final chapter. I consider myself more liberal and I was sort of taken aback.
James
Not a great book, not a bad book. There is not any new material here. I did not learn or read anything I didn't already know.
Nathan
Decent synopsis of the very specific and monumental challenges faced by some of our most notable U.S. presidents.
Joel Michael
Not bad found a few facts that I was not aware of during the Nixon years
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jenna
Jenna is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
David
David added it
May 02, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Paul Marnecheck
Paul Marnecheck marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
c.
c. marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Frances Johnson
Frances Johnson marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
BBBBooks
BBBBooks marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Joe Edens
Joe Edens is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2013
Amanda C
Amanda C marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Second Acts: Presidential Lives and Legacies After the White House Indomitable Will: LBJ in the Presidency