Start by marking “Baptism by Fire: Eight Presidents Who Took Office in Times of Crisis” as Want to Read:
Baptism by Fire: Eight Presidents Who Took Office in Times of Crisis

Baptism by Fire: Eight Presidents Who Took Office in Times of Crisis

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Americans have long been defined by how they face adversity. This is perhaps nowhere more evident than in how the nation’s chief executive has tackled myriad issues upon entering the White House. The ways that U.S. presidents handle the vast responsibilities of the Oval Office determine the fate of the nation---and, in many cases, the fate of the world.

In this fascinating
Published January 6th 2009 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Baptism by Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baptism by Fire

Meghan Sibley
I was kind of surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I do love history and learning about it but wasn't to sure how much I'd like learning about these presidents. This book doesn't just tell you about presidents lives, it goes into depth about what their life in office was like. True to the title they all faced many challenges like war, establishing the new country and even depression. It told of their struggles and triumphs.
I belive sometimes people build presidents up and its hard to reali
Gary Schantz
I really enjoyed this book for its introspective look at the situations that eight presidents came into office having to deal with.

While some of the situations have been told before, I am still a big believer that the only President who did the right thing despite his political career implications was President Ford.

This was a man who was twice handed very difficult situations to deal with (one as a member of the Warren Commission looking into President Kennedy's murder and then 10 years later h
Sondra
This book was ok if you leave out the incredibly biased authors prologue and epilogue. The main context of the book is interesting with only a few biased opinions thrown in here and there which I expect from any author. It is interesting to see this authors point of view on some very controversial presidents, however when he writes his personal opinions they are very one sides and disrespectful to many of our leaders simply because they were republican. This is a sad trait to see in a book about ...more
Abby Fick
We need Washington, Lincoln and Truman now more than ever. I'm not holding my breath.
Maryclaire Zampogna
I learned many things that I either forgot in history class or weren't informed of. This books brings attention to the second in command and what the results will be. It also tells of troubled waters as the new president learns from the old. It is a great update in the presidents.
Heather
It took a little effort to get into but is well worth it. Note to conservative-minded readers: you will not like the final chapter. I consider myself more liberal and I was sort of taken aback.
James
Not a great book, not a bad book. There is not any new material here. I did not learn or read anything I didn't already know.
Nathan
Decent synopsis of the very specific and monumental challenges faced by some of our most notable U.S. presidents.
Joel Michael
Not bad found a few facts that I was not aware of during the Nixon years
kate klingel
kate klingel marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Will
Will added it
Feb 01, 2015
Brittany Kriner
Brittany Kriner marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Edie
Edie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
George Higgins
George Higgins is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Jj Grilliette
Jj Grilliette marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Second Acts: Presidential Lives and Legacies After the White House Indomitable Will: LBJ in the Presidency Destiny of Democracy: The Civil Rights Summit at the LBJ Presidential Library Indomitable Will (Enhanced Edition)