Start by marking “Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)

Dragonseed (Dragon Age #3)

Following on from the events of 'Dragonforge' and the victory against the dragons, Ragnar's human army is arming their enclave against the inevitable dragon counterattack. Trouble lies on the horizon, however, as Jandra finds herself under the sway of the nefarious Jazz, and a face from the past makes an unwelcome return.
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published July 6th 2009 by Solaris (first published 2009)

Beth A.
Jul 09, 2009 Beth A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, own
I enjoyed this book. There are a lot of unique and interesting characters. I grew attached to many of them throughout the series. I loved Burke, with his crazy mechanical genius, and Anza the graceful silent warrior, Zeeky the girl who talks to animals and her brother Jeremiah. And Balsaphet was a pleasure to hate. Bitterwood and Jandra were ok, too. Maxey has quite an imagination.

The story gets a bit farfetched as we explore the power of nanotechnology and the full extent of Jazz's power, I ad
Kevin
Jul 05, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
I'm not sure that I'm a great fan of Maxey's writing, but he has some really interesting ideas. I wish I'd been able to read this one closer in time to reading the first two, instead of several years removed, but I'm really glad to finish the series. The characters weren't outstanding, and the conclusion felt a bit rushed (oh for the days of the long denouement), but still, he has really fascinating ideas.
Lana
Feb 13, 2017 Lana rated it it was amazing
a great ending to the human - dragon war, very strong sense of adventure and good use of technology!! The goddess was crazy but the characters in the series were very lovable, especially zeeky and her pig and poor lizard and hexizilian!! thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy.
Marcus
Jul 23, 2012 Marcus rated it really liked it
Despite the premise being somewhat derivative of Planet of the Apes, this was a decent story. The shame of it is it could have been *great*, like on the level of Weis/Hickman and other fantasy luminaries.

Dragonseed is the somewhat unsatisifying conclusion to the Dragon Age series: Bitterwood, Dragonforge, Dragonseed. It should go without saying that one needs to read the previous two books before embarking on this one. Without the previous two, most if not all of what goes on in book 3 would be
Loren
Aug 19, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
From ISawLightningFall.com

Developing a series is difficult. If you maintain the status quo, audiences will dismiss it as predictable. Over-innovate and they'll claim that you've destroyed all the elements they loved. How ought an author to navigate between this particular rock and hard place? James Maxey offers a good example in Dragonseed, the third installment in the Dragon Age series: Drop a major technological innovation in familiar characters' laps and let them riff off it.

The once-proud dr
Shea Cummings
Dec 15, 2016 Shea Cummings rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness... I don't know where to begin.

As I said when I first began this trilogy, it was a little hard to get into; Dragons as sentient beings was a little much. But boy, am I glad I stuck with it. I haven't loved a story this much since I was a kid reading Redwall series.

I don't wanna reveal anything that might spoil this story in the slightest for you.

All I can say is READ IT!!!
Cobar B
Apr 06, 2012 Cobar B rated it really liked it
Maxey's Dragon Age Trilogy is my first taste of cross genre fiction, and having finished reading Dragonseed I'm left to admire the ingenuity of the author for his weave of multiple plots and characters in this science fiction-fantasy adventure. His crisp prose made for an easy reading and the plot is packed with action. And like most plot driven stories, the characters can go on without needing much rest. There's nothing ordinary about the story events here. Everything is possible, and the power ...more
Claire
May 06, 2010 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Carla
Cindy
Jun 16, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
I really enjoyed this again. As Maxey's Bitterwood is really what opened my eyes to the what could be out there in fantasy/sci-fi. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the whole sciency/Atlantis aspect of the series but it was well done and grew on me.

There are the old characters and a few new ones in here. I wonder if this is the last of the series of if there will be more. There is room for more books, and in a way it seems a little out there. But if it's the end of a series it serves well too.
Elise
Dec 17, 2008 Elise rated it liked it
The war between humans and dragons wages on, but now Jandra and her crew faces a new threat from an old enemy. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the direction this series has taken, which is basically nanotechnology gone wild. It all seems kinda outrageous and maybe even unintentionally comical. It was still pretty entertaining. This doesn't seem to be the end of the series, but if it is then I find this proposed end a bit dissatisfying.
Brian Maicke
Feb 14, 2011 Brian Maicke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ties up many loose ends but still leaves some room to explore the worlds involved in the scifi/fantasy combo series. Overall a very enjoyable set of books and I look forward to more of Maxey's work. Dragonseed came out in 2009 so hopefully the wait won't be too long.
Snufkin
Oct 11, 2014 Snufkin rated it really liked it
A fantastic read, with many twists and turns both surprising and humorous! The references to our day and age add a further later of intrigue and the mixture of primitive struggles and advanced technology makes this a truly epic tale.
Enya
Sep 15, 2010 Enya rated it really liked it
This was the last of the three book series. Even though one would think these books were set in a medieval time period, readers learn that it's actually set far in the future where initially, dragons were engineered as the ultimate hunting game; strong, fast, and with creative intelligence.
Aroura
May 28, 2011 Aroura rated it really liked it
Okay, seriously the only downfall is for any aspiring author. Maxey covers human behavior with such depth and breadth, there isn't anything left to explore! And his imagination regarding this society and how it came to be is INSANE!
Nick Von Hoene
Apr 01, 2012 Nick Von Hoene rated it really liked it
A good read, definitely need to read all 3 in the series. An interesting take on the future of mankind, advanced technology, and taking things too far. Entertaining!
Patty
Jul 12, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it
This book answers more of the quesions that the second book raised...and you learn more about the creation of this unique world, as well as finding more depth to its main characters.
Alcarinque
Alcarinque rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Jason Garman
Jason Garman rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Andrew Rose
Andrew Rose rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Ryan Permeh
Ryan Permeh rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Willis Bouwman
Willis Bouwman rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2011
Golar Bluford
Golar Bluford rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2012
Tyler Edwards
Tyler Edwards rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Todd Trautman
Todd Trautman rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night, #2)
  • The Warrior's Tale (Anteros, #2)
  • Conan the Magnificent (Conan, #5)
  • Carnifex
  • Ice, Iron and Gold
  • Raintree: Sanctuary (Raintree, #3)
  • His Dark Materials: Trilogy, Fantasy Literature, Philip Pullman, Northern Lights (Novel), The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass, Coming Of Age, Will Parry (His Dark Materials), Costa Book Awards
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm (Star Trek: Enterprise #14)
  • Dragon Magic (The Magic Series, #4)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)
  • Act of Will (Hawthorne Saga, #1)
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
  • Wolf Justice
I've been an avid reader since I first picked up a book. Luckily, I was within biking distance of three different libraries growing up. I was a skinny kid. If only I had maintained that link between biking and reading, I might be a skinny adult.

I'm also a writer. I wrote my first book as a kid, an adventure about pirates and ghosts. When I was a teenager, I used to write superhero adventures. The
More about James Maxey...

Dragon Age (3 books)
  • Bitterwood (Dragon Age, #1)
  • Dragonforge (Dragon Age, #2)

“By the bones!" said Shay. "He has all seven!"

"All seven what?"

"The Potter biographies! The College of Spires only had five of the volumes... four now, since I stole one."

"What's so special about these books?" She picked up one of the fat tomes and flipped it open.

"Potter was a member of a race of wizards who lived in the last days of the human age," said Shay.

Jandra frowned as she flipped through the pages. "Are you certain this isn't fiction?" She asked.”
6 likes
“He sat the silver disk between Poocher's shoulder blades. The pig turned around in a circle, as if he were trying to see the disk on his back, which his fat neck wouldn't allow. After his third revolution, he closed his eyes and scrunched up his snout. His wings unfolded. He floated off the ground, looking smug.

Everyone in the room knew there was something that needed to be said. But not even Hex, who'd never shown any fear of an obvious joke, dared say it.”
1 likes