Start by marking “Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)

Dragonseed (Dragon Age #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  263 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Following on from the events of 'Dragonforge' and the victory against the dragons, Ragnar's human army is arming their enclave against the inevitable dragon counterattack. Trouble lies on the horizon, however, as Jandra finds herself under the sway of the nefarious Jazz, and a face from the past makes an unwelcome return.
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published July 6th 2009 by Solaris (first published 2009)

The Host by Stephenie Meyer1984 by George OrwellUglies by Scott WesterfeldNumbers by Rachel WardSpecials by Scott Westerfeld
Eye of the Beholder
232nd out of 428 books — 262 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussWarbreaker by Brandon SandersonFire by Kristin CashoreThe Gathering Storm by Robert JordanBest Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
2009 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
50th out of 64 books — 113 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth A.
Nov 11, 2009 Beth A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, own
I enjoyed this book. There are a lot of unique and interesting characters. I grew attached to many of them throughout the series. I loved Burke, with his crazy mechanical genius, and Anza the graceful silent warrior, Zeeky the girl who talks to animals and her brother Jeremiah. And Balsaphet was a pleasure to hate. Bitterwood and Jandra were ok, too. Maxey has quite an imagination.

The story gets a bit farfetched as we explore the power of nanotechnology and the full extent of Jazz's power, I ad
Kevin
Jul 05, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
I'm not sure that I'm a great fan of Maxey's writing, but he has some really interesting ideas. I wish I'd been able to read this one closer in time to reading the first two, instead of several years removed, but I'm really glad to finish the series. The characters weren't outstanding, and the conclusion felt a bit rushed (oh for the days of the long denouement), but still, he has really fascinating ideas.
Marcus
Jul 23, 2012 Marcus rated it really liked it
Despite the premise being somewhat derivative of Planet of the Apes, this was a decent story. The shame of it is it could have been *great*, like on the level of Weis/Hickman and other fantasy luminaries.

Dragonseed is the somewhat unsatisifying conclusion to the Dragon Age series: Bitterwood, Dragonforge, Dragonseed. It should go without saying that one needs to read the previous two books before embarking on this one. Without the previous two, most if not all of what goes on in book 3 would be
Loren
Aug 19, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
From ISawLightningFall.com

Developing a series is difficult. If you maintain the status quo, audiences will dismiss it as predictable. Over-innovate and they'll claim that you've destroyed all the elements they loved. How ought an author to navigate between this particular rock and hard place? James Maxey offers a good example in Dragonseed, the third installment in the Dragon Age series: Drop a major technological innovation in familiar characters' laps and let them riff off it.

The once-proud dr
Claire
May 08, 2010 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Cobar B
Apr 06, 2012 Cobar B rated it really liked it
Maxey's Dragon Age Trilogy is my first taste of cross genre fiction, and having finished reading Dragonseed I'm left to admire the ingenuity of the author for his weave of multiple plots and characters in this science fiction-fantasy adventure. His crisp prose made for an easy reading and the plot is packed with action. And like most plot driven stories, the characters can go on without needing much rest. There's nothing ordinary about the story events here. Everything is possible, and the power ...more
Carla
Snufkin
Oct 11, 2014 Snufkin rated it really liked it
A fantastic read, with many twists and turns both surprising and humorous! The references to our day and age add a further later of intrigue and the mixture of primitive struggles and advanced technology makes this a truly epic tale.
Cindy
Aug 04, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
I really enjoyed this again. As Maxey's Bitterwood is really what opened my eyes to the what could be out there in fantasy/sci-fi. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the whole sciency/Atlantis aspect of the series but it was well done and grew on me.

There are the old characters and a few new ones in here. I wonder if this is the last of the series of if there will be more. There is room for more books, and in a way it seems a little out there. But if it's the end of a series it serves well too.
Elise
Aug 22, 2009 Elise rated it liked it
The war between humans and dragons wages on, but now Jandra and her crew faces a new threat from an old enemy. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the direction this series has taken, which is basically nanotechnology gone wild. It all seems kinda outrageous and maybe even unintentionally comical. It was still pretty entertaining. This doesn't seem to be the end of the series, but if it is then I find this proposed end a bit dissatisfying.
Alyssa
Feb 19, 2015 Alyssa rated it liked it
love the world building...hate the dialogue
Enya
Sep 15, 2010 Enya rated it really liked it
This was the last of the three book series. Even though one would think these books were set in a medieval time period, readers learn that it's actually set far in the future where initially, dragons were engineered as the ultimate hunting game; strong, fast, and with creative intelligence.
Brian Maicke
Feb 20, 2011 Brian Maicke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ties up many loose ends but still leaves some room to explore the worlds involved in the scifi/fantasy combo series. Overall a very enjoyable set of books and I look forward to more of Maxey's work. Dragonseed came out in 2009 so hopefully the wait won't be too long.
Aroura
Oct 04, 2011 Aroura rated it really liked it
Okay, seriously the only downfall is for any aspiring author. Maxey covers human behavior with such depth and breadth, there isn't anything left to explore! And his imagination regarding this society and how it came to be is INSANE!
Patty
Jul 12, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it
This book answers more of the quesions that the second book raised...and you learn more about the creation of this unique world, as well as finding more depth to its main characters.
Nick Von Hoene
May 05, 2012 Nick Von Hoene rated it really liked it
A good read, definitely need to read all 3 in the series. An interesting take on the future of mankind, advanced technology, and taking things too far. Entertaining!
Javier
Javier marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Maria Wade
Maria Wade marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Damian
Damian marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Jennifer Mortensen
Jennifer Mortensen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Jonathan Poole
Jonathan Poole marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Ben Gonzales
Ben Gonzales rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Lorna
Lorna marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Maggie Wasso
Maggie Wasso rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night, #2)
  • Conan the Magnificent (Conan, #5)
  • The Warrior's Tale (Anteros, #2)
  • Carnifex
  • Ice, Iron and Gold
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Raintree: Sanctuary (Raintree, #3)
  • His Dark Materials: Trilogy, Fantasy Literature, Philip Pullman, Northern Lights (Novel), The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass, Coming Of Age, Will Parry (His Dark Materials), Costa Book Awards
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • Dragon Magic (The Magic Series, #4)
  • The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm (Star Trek: Enterprise #14)
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)
  • Conspiracy (Forgotten Realms: Double Diamond Triangle Saga, #6)
  • Easy Betrayals (Forgotten Realms: Double Diamond Triangle Saga, #8)
  • Act of Will (Hawthorne Saga, #1)
I've been an avid reader since I first picked up a book. Luckily, I was within biking distance of three different libraries growing up. I was a skinny kid. If only I had maintained that link between biking and reading, I might be a skinny adult.

I'm also a writer. I wrote my first book as a kid, an adventure about pirates and ghosts. When I was a teenager, I used to write superhero adventures. The
More about James Maxey...

Dragon Age (5 books)
  • Tornado of Sparks (Bitterwood Trilogy)
  • Dawn of Dragons
  • Bitterwood (Dragon Age, #1)
  • Dragonforge (Dragon Age, #2)

“By the bones!" said Shay. "He has all seven!"

"All seven what?"

"The Potter biographies! The College of Spires only had five of the volumes... four now, since I stole one."

"What's so special about these books?" She picked up one of the fat tomes and flipped it open.

"Potter was a member of a race of wizards who lived in the last days of the human age," said Shay.

Jandra frowned as she flipped through the pages. "Are you certain this isn't fiction?" She asked.”
6 likes
“He sat the silver disk between Poocher's shoulder blades. The pig turned around in a circle, as if he were trying to see the disk on his back, which his fat neck wouldn't allow. After his third revolution, he closed his eyes and scrunched up his snout. His wings unfolded. He floated off the ground, looking smug.

Everyone in the room knew there was something that needed to be said. But not even Hex, who'd never shown any fear of an obvious joke, dared say it.”
1 likes