Start by marking “Caravaggio, 1571-1610” as Want to Read:
Caravaggio, 1571-1610

Caravaggio, 1571-1610

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,470 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Notorious bad boy of Italian Baroque painting, Caravaggio (1571-1610) is finally getting the recognition he deserves. Though his name may be familiar to all of us, his work has been habitually detested and forced into obscurity. Not only was his theatrical realism unfashionable in his time, but his sacrilegious subject matter and use of lower class models were violently sc ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Taschen

To ask other readers questions about Caravaggio, 1571-1610, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caravaggio, 1571-1610

Paula
Mar 10, 2017 Paula rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about an artist and his paintings which reach at our senses with aesthetic dimensions contouring the beauty of freedom

On the cover- Victorious Cupid (1603) , the god of love, joyful and nonchalantly holding two arrows shows his effortless defeat of the intellectual, which is represented in the background though the symbols of the quadrivium:"love conquers all; let us all yield to love!" (Virgil)

One of the most famous art historians and art critics, Robert Longhi, who thoroughly
Gregory Earls
Feb 06, 2011 Gregory Earls rated it really liked it
As I tracked down my favorite Caravaggio paintings in Europe, this book was my bible. Incredibly rich in information with gorgeous color plates, this book has become very important to me. If you're looking for a quick reference tool for the works of the great Baroque artist, this is a good bet.
Angie
May 03, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A super short biography with great photos of his work. A tumultuous life filled with turmoil. I guess that's what makes the greats great. I've always loved the dark realism of Caravaggio and now I know why, at least partially.
Theresia
Nov 23, 2016 Theresia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
In the wise words of my friend JS, "Guy sure loved his boys."

(But of course! What did you expect, JS!)
Feisty Harriet
Jun 26, 2017 Feisty Harriet rated it liked it
Shelves: art-and-artists
The biographical information is fairly sparse (not that there is a huge wealth of primary source documents from 500 years ago), but the full-color images are stunning.
Jozef Melichár
Mar 18, 2017 Jozef Melichár rated it liked it
Text- 3 stars (Informative but a bit flat)
Paintings & Reproductions- 4 stars (I miss my favourite painting -The Incredulity of Saint Thomas)
Caravaggio's life- 5 stars
Carmo
Jul 04, 2017 Carmo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arte
description
Heather
Sep 10, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Fairly decent biographical account, but could go into more detail with analysis of the paintings. Disappointed too that 'Taking of Christ' only got the briefest of mentions as it is, in my opinion, one of his best works.
Marcello
Caravaggio è uno dei miei pittori preferiti, unanimemente considerato uno dei più grandi della storia dell'arte. Il volume è agile e conciso, visto che è lungo solo 96 pagine e le illustrazioni, davvero ben fatte, ne occupano buona parte. Se dovessi giudicare solo le opere stampate al suo interno, 5 stelle non basterebbero. Mi tocca abbassare un il giudizio perché il testo è a tratti un po' troppo generico e qua e là ci sono anche degli errori, cosa che non mi sarei aspettato da una casa editric ...more
Chris Westbury
Apr 19, 2014 Chris Westbury rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chris by: chrisfwestbury
I have been looking for a book about Caravaggio for a long time. This one was perfect for me: a decent, short essay about his life, good reproductions of the paintings, and not at all expensive. For me this was an ideal introduction. Recommended.
Ed
Dec 11, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
The writing wasn't great, but the images, obviously, were wonderful. Caravaggio was an extraordinary artist. Can't wait to read more in-depth about him and his works.
Ken Rogerson
Apr 24, 2013 Ken Rogerson rated it it was amazing
Not for the scholar, but for the pupil like me. Nice, short overview of Caravaggio that includes both history and artistic style. Really beautiful reproductions of his works.
Alex Smith
Sep 13, 2007 Alex Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thin, with good printing, inexpensive, and a decent essay. A magnificent introduction.
Megan
Oct 22, 2007 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
great images, terrible text, basically rendering a fascinating artistic genius into a boring mess. watch sister wendy for the real deal.
David
Jan 20, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Used this for a companion guide to the Caravaggio pieces I saw in Rome. It's a sufficient overview.
Donna Jones
Oct 11, 2011 Donna Jones rated it really liked it
Carefully researched and well-written book that provides insights into the too-short life of a brilliant artist, and puts his art into context.
Jan 03, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
The book is a great introduction to the rebellious painter, but often skims over some periods and exalts others. Also an index and appendix would have been nice
Bart Vanvaerenbergh
Nov 18, 2016 Bart Vanvaerenbergh rated it liked it
Goede voorbereiding op de tentoonstelling "Beyond Caravaggio" (London).
Arthur Cravan
Jun 02, 2014 Arthur Cravan rated it really liked it
This seems like a pretty good series, I'll definitely check out any others I come by.
Doug Wells
Jan 09, 2009 Doug Wells rated it really liked it
Well done - clear, concise writing - beautiful pictures.
Ron
Jan 17, 2015 Ron rated it it was amazing
a very good studt and bio
Wolf
Jul 07, 2015 Wolf rated it really liked it
really fun reading about a bit of a rebel artist in his times. his painting is fantastic, his skill superb and i have to say his subject matters, fun. i like him. the book was an easy read.
sologdin
Jun 23, 2011 sologdin rated it it was ok
Shelves: art, reference
undersized volume (kinda quarto, should be folio), with some explanatory text. paintings are of course basically perfect.
Ron
Jan 10, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it
I was expecting more of Caravaggio's art to appear in this edition. However, this is a good introduction to the painter for someone who hasn't studied his artwork.
Michal
Michal rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2017
Shinima
Shinima rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Bilal Khan
Bilal Khan rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Barbara Ward
Barbara Ward rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Shatha Alduwaisan
Shatha Alduwaisan rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2014
  • Salvador Dalí: 1904-1989
  • Monet
  • Paul Gauguin: 1848-1903 the Primitive Sophisticate
  • Matisse
  • Sandro Botticelli 1444/45 - 1510
  • Joan Miro: 1893-1983
  • Pierre-Auguste Renoir, 1841-1919: A Dream of Harmony
  • Bruegel: The Complete Paintings (Basic Art)
  • Degas (Basic Art)