Start by marking “Disgraced” as Want to Read:
Disgraced

Disgraced

Brought up in a violent Muslim household, where family honour is all, Saira is watched 24 hours a day.

However, an innocent friendship with a boy is uncovered and Saira is sent to Pakistan, punished for dishonouring her family.

There, the nightmare really begins. Forced to marry an older stranger who rapes her repeatedly and makes her his round-the-clock sex slave, she eve
Published April 2nd 2009 by Headline Review (first published August 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Disgraced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disgraced

Jomana Namavar
Jul 12, 2015 Jomana Namavar rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This book was heartbreaking. However how the author generalized Muslims pissed me off. I am a Muslim girl who is studying engineering so I do have the right to study. I am a Muslim girl who can go out with friends without her parents on her back. My father and brother are Muslim men who I admire so much. My father is the most humble and loving man. So stop mixing your stupid culture and saying its Islam.
Saskia 'follow my shoes' Smith
Oct 10, 2013 Saskia 'follow my shoes' Smith rated it really liked it
its a good book, story line of her live is very in depth and she doesnt hold back, which is what makes this a good book to read, i do recommend it.The book is a no holds barred account of a tragic life story. The narratve is engaging and the story unfolds well. An amazing story of survival, all the more remarkable when you realise that these things are happening, not just in Pakistan, but in modern day Britain too.When Saira meets and falls for a young man, also of Pakistani origin, and wants to ...more
Abe
Apr 12, 2012 Abe rated it really liked it
I couldn't believe what Saira had to go through to help pay off her family's debt, without them knowing. While reading the book I wonder if she really had to go to that extreme, but you never know until you are put in the situation. An eye opener. But at the same time, she was a muslim woman and talked about God in the book, so as a God fearing woman as she was, I couldn't believe she let herself into prostitution without the fear of the herafter. Were her brother's debt worth it? But she had a ...more
Harini Twinkln10
Feb 16, 2013 Harini Twinkln10 rated it really liked it
A very interesting theme prevalent in a lot of Asian communities at various levels of extremity.
The book describes a realistic society where family ties and woes are ranked higher up in priority; where marrying off a women (respectably) is seen as the ultimate purpose of their existence ; where within the walls of their own minds women are being subjected to torture & trauma continuously because of lack of independence.

While the book starts off very well arousing curiosity & interest , i
Sabrina Rutter
I couldn't put this book down!There is so much to this woman's story! I couldn't believe all the things this young woman went through before she was even 20 years old. This is a really good memoir!
*spoilers*
Saira's problems pretty much started the day she was born as a girl in a strict muslim family. She was not allowed to play outside with the other neighborhood children, or go to their birthday parties so this made it difficult for her to ever form any friendships. Having no friends and feelin
Rashad Raoufi
its a harrowing tale, deeply moving and profoundly emotional,very honestly told. i dare not criticise the writing of the book simply because its too emotive to be analysed.it should read as part of someone broadcasting their message, thier life to us, and hers rightfully deserves to be read, however i think the character does not spend too much time or tell us more off her addiction to easy from prostitution as horrible as it is and its toll on her, she hints strongly which is very brave.i like ...more
Kp
Mar 18, 2014 Kp rated it it was amazing
Disgraced is a fantastic, true and loving novel. It has a great sense of knowledge. Truly, I think this book was exceptionally fantastic and views a great sense of humour.
I would truly recommend this book to adults.
Danielle
Aug 19, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Indrukwekkend verhaal over leven in een wereld met twee culturen. Een inkijkje in een leven dat ik niet ken, en daar mag ik mijzelf gelukkig mee prijzen.
Aaliyah Behbehani
Jan 02, 2015 Aaliyah Behbehani rated it really liked it
This book made me feel thankful for all the things that hasn't happened to me..
Farid
Oct 18, 2015 Farid rated it it was amazing
Nora
Aug 23, 2013 Nora rated it liked it
done
Rachael Brown
Nov 22, 2010 Rachael Brown rated it it was amazing
sad book but a good read
Rochelle Byrne
Jan 04, 2017 Rochelle Byrne rated it really liked it
I found this book a really easy read and thoroughly enjoyed learning about other cultures and the displacement of Muslim women in Britain culture. Saira's story of survival is inspiring
Pia
Nov 12, 2016 Pia rated it did not like it
- didn't take long to read but came across very much like a long recount
- not great storytelling
- repetitive
- yes, it's a terrible situation but it didn't have heart
Karolien
Read in Dutch so the review below is in Dutch.

Disgraced of zoals de titel in het Nederlands luidt " Voor mijn familie was ik dood" gaat over het leven van een meisje dat de dochter is van Pakistaanse migranten in Groot-Britannië.
Ze heeft in elk geval geen gemakkelijk leven, ze zit gevangen tussen twee culturen. De Pakistaanse cultuur van thuis uit waar ze een gehoorzame moslima moet zijn en de vrije Britse cultuur.

Deze twee naast elkaar lopende culturen conflicteren enorm en vaak vind ze het moe
Nilu Asad
Jan 14, 2017 Nilu Asad rated it liked it
Saira's story was really heartbreaking. But, I didn't like the way she generalized Muslims. I am a Muslim woman who was given the right to study. I always went out with friends without my Mom at my back. My husband is a Muslim man who I admire so much. My father was the most humble and loving man. It's high time to stop mixing the stupid culture and naming it as Islam. However, I liked the ending that sounds hopeful, where she survived and opened a new window to future.
Irra Ridz
Apr 19, 2016 Irra Ridz rated it liked it
Shelves: done-before-2016
I can't imagine with what she faced. very tragic and I'm quite disappointed with the path she chose. However, things happen for a reason. I adore the strength she have in raising her child and helping out her parents. It's the struggle of a daughter and mother for a better life. And it teaches me to be thankful of my life and people around me.
Kathy Petrakis
Oct 13, 2012 Kathy Petrakis rated it liked it
I think this novel was a great story. In fact, I would have liked more detail and the ability to go through the experiences with the author. Sometimes it felt more like a memoir and I would prefer to be in the moment with her.

I read it within days and found the story sad but unique. I would like to know where the main character is today...I was keen for more!!
Lynette
Jan 04, 2016 Lynette rated it liked it
Would like to have known more about what happened to the ex boyfriend, the
brothers etc. Weird that the parents could get into so much debt and not
be responsible for sorting it themselves or wondering where she was getting the money!
Den
Aug 25, 2016 Den rated it liked it
Shelves: true, 2014
I still can't believe that men can treat women like this. I am glad she managed to sort her life out and realised before it was too late that she had to leave her second husband or her daughter would end up in the same situation.
Sharon
Jul 12, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok
Sad what some girls are put through, in the name of religion and family honour. This book was quite exciting in the start, but deteriated in the middle and petered out in the end. A ok read
Lorraine
Aug 15, 2012 Lorraine rated it liked it
Good read but sad to read about what this girl went through. Found myself getting angry a few times
Buthaina
Buthaina rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2015
Krishna
Krishna rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Tanveer
Tanveer rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Agnes Marton
Agnes Marton rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
Ikra
Oct 05, 2014 Ikra rated it liked it
really good
aaliyahmusa
aaliyahmusa rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Laaziza Ben
Laaziza Ben rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Colleen Burns
Colleen Burns rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
  • The Girl in the Wicker Basket
  • Escaping Daddy
  • The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson
  • The Lost Girl
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story Of A Little Girl Betrayed By Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • Sold Into Marriage: One Girl's Living Nightmare
  • Married By Force
  • That Mean Old Yesterday
  • Dying To Survive
  • Silenced
  • Daddy's Little Secret: Pregnant at 14 and There's Only One Man Who Can Be the Father
  • Daddy's Girl