Start by marking “Disgraced” as Want to Read:
Disgraced

Disgraced

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Brought up in a violent Muslim household, where family honour is all, Saira is watched 24 hours a day.

However, an innocent friendship with a boy is uncovered and Saira is sent to Pakistan, punished for dishonouring her family.

There, the nightmare really begins. Forced to marry an older stranger who rapes her repeatedly and makes her his round-the-clock sex slave, she eve
Published March 1st 2009 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Disgraced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disgraced

Jomana Namavar
This book was heartbreaking. However how the author generalized Muslims pissed me off. I am a Muslim girl who is studying engineering so I do have the right to study. I am a Muslim girl who can go out with friends without her parents on her back. My father and brother are Muslim men who I admire so much. My father is the most humble and loving man. So stop mixing your stupid culture and saying its Islam.
Sabah
Saudi Arabia in the past few decades haas been a very controversial part of the world, from the laws they enforce on women, to the religion of Islam that much know little of. The environment of Saudi Arabia has been a fertile land for anyone seeking fame. Book's like the ones Jean Sasson wrote about the royal family, which I didn't take the effort of reading because I'm sure is made up of almost 80% myth and stereotype is what I believe this book is. I have yet to encounter a Pakistani who read ...more
Saskia 'follow my shoes' Smith
its a good book, story line of her live is very in depth and she doesnt hold back, which is what makes this a good book to read, i do recommend it.The book is a no holds barred account of a tragic life story. The narratve is engaging and the story unfolds well. An amazing story of survival, all the more remarkable when you realise that these things are happening, not just in Pakistan, but in modern day Britain too.When Saira meets and falls for a young man, also of Pakistani origin, and wants to ...more
Abe
I couldn't believe what Saira had to go through to help pay off her family's debt, without them knowing. While reading the book I wonder if she really had to go to that extreme, but you never know until you are put in the situation. An eye opener. But at the same time, she was a muslim woman and talked about God in the book, so as a God fearing woman as she was, I couldn't believe she let herself into prostitution without the fear of the herafter. Were her brother's debt worth it? But she had a ...more
Rashad Raoufi
its a harrowing tale, deeply moving and profoundly emotional,very honestly told. i dare not criticise the writing of the book simply because its too emotive to be analysed.it should read as part of someone broadcasting their message, thier life to us, and hers rightfully deserves to be read, however i think the character does not spend too much time or tell us more off her addiction to easy from prostitution as horrible as it is and its toll on her, she hints strongly which is very brave.i like ...more
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I couldn't put this book down!There is so much to this woman's story! I couldn't believe all the things this young woman went through before she was even 20 years old. This is a really good memoir!
*spoilers*
Saira's problems pretty much started the day she was born as a girl in a strict muslim family. She was not allowed to play outside with the other neighborhood children, or go to their birthday parties so this made it difficult for her to ever form any friendships. Having no friends and feelin
Harini Twinkln10
A very interesting theme prevalent in a lot of Asian communities at various levels of extremity.
The book describes a realistic society where family ties and woes are ranked higher up in priority; where marrying off a women (respectably) is seen as the ultimate purpose of their existence ; where within the walls of their own minds women are being subjected to torture & trauma continuously because of lack of independence.

While the book starts off very well arousing curiosity & interest , i
Karolien
Read in Dutch so the review below is in Dutch.

Disgraced of zoals de titel in het Nederlands luidt " Voor mijn familie was ik dood" gaat over het leven van een meisje dat de dochter is van Pakistaanse migranten in Groot-Britannië.
Ze heeft in elk geval geen gemakkelijk leven, ze zit gevangen tussen twee culturen. De Pakistaanse cultuur van thuis uit waar ze een gehoorzame moslima moet zijn en de vrije Britse cultuur.

Deze twee naast elkaar lopende culturen conflicteren enorm en vaak vind ze het moe
Kp
Disgraced is a fantastic, true and loving novel. It has a great sense of knowledge. Truly, I think this book was exceptionally fantastic and views a great sense of humour.
I would truly recommend this book to adults.
Julie-anne Vandenhoff
Interesting perspective and insight to an unspoken world...
Den
Mar 05, 2014 Den rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014, true
I still can't believe that men can treat women like this. I am glad she managed to sort her life out and realised before it was too late that she had to leave her second husband or her daughter would end up in the same situation.
Martina
Interesting story but a bit unbelievable.
Ikra
really good
Kathy Petrakis
I think this novel was a great story. In fact, I would have liked more detail and the ability to go through the experiences with the author. Sometimes it felt more like a memoir and I would prefer to be in the moment with her.

I read it within days and found the story sad but unique. I would like to know where the main character is today...I was keen for more!!
Sharon
Sad what some girls are put through, in the name of religion and family honour. This book was quite exciting in the start, but deteriated in the middle and petered out in the end. A ok read
Danielle
Indrukwekkend verhaal over leven in een wereld met twee culturen. Een inkijkje in een leven dat ik niet ken, en daar mag ik mijzelf gelukkig mee prijzen.
Lorraine
Good read but sad to read about what this girl went through. Found myself getting angry a few times
Aaliyah Behbehani
This book made me feel thankful for all the things that hasn't happened to me..
Rachael Brown
sad book but a good read
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Anouska Stacey
Anouska Stacey marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Venìse Adelaide
Venìse Adelaide marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Pui Yee
Pui Yee marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Belonging
  • Fatwa: Living with a Death Threat
  • Daughters Of Shame
  • Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror
  • The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story of a Little Girl Betrayed by Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • The Lost Girl
  • Escaping Daddy
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • Dying To Survive
  • Sold
  • No One Wants You: A true story of a child forced into prostitution
  • Married By Force
  • Daddy's Little Secret: Pregnant at 14 and There's Only One Man Who Can Be the Father
  • Mummy's Little Girl: A Desperate Race To Save A Lost Child
  • Silenced
  • Silent Sisters
  • That Mean Old Yesterday
Voor mijn familie was ik dood