Start by marking “My Double Life: Memoirs of a Naturalist” as Want to Read:
My Double Life: Memoirs of a Naturalist

My Double Life: Memoirs of a Naturalist

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This is the charming memoir of one of the most remarkable women on the contemporary American scene. A trailblazer for her profession and her gender, Fran Hamerstrom is an internationally known wildlife biologist and author, honored many times over for work she is still vigorously pursuing in her late eighties. Born to wealth and privilege in 1907 Boston, young Fran Flint h ...more
Published September 15th 1994 by University of Wisconsin Press

To ask other readers questions about My Double Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Double Life

Erin Eve
These are the astounding memoirs of Frances Hamerstrom, a pioneering conservationist before much of the techniques and terms we associate with conservation were even developed. In fact, she and her husband Frederick invented or discovered many of them. She was the only female graduate student of Aldo Leopold, who is featured in her memoirs, and a shining idol giving courage to any female biologists who want to walk that swampy and multiflora rose-thorned path. The first half of the book is fille ...more
Nick Goodman
This book was a good read, but it had a lot of overlap with some of her other books (mainly strictly for the chickens). If you have already read that book, be prepared to reread most of it in the second half of my double life.
Diane
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book - couldn't put it down! It was extremely enjoyable and a wonderful book to suggest to my middle school children to read about the beginning of environmental exploration.
Natalie
Read the first few essays of this and had to return it - a compilation of essays by an amazing woman. Her style is sort of witty in an old fashioned kind of way.
Linda
Linda added it
Apr 30, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Kristin Espinasse
Kristin Espinasse marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Jla
Jla added it
Jun 02, 2013
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Brecken
Brecken marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2012
Karla
Karla is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2012
Marcele
Marcele marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2010
Raph
Raph marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2010
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2009
Walk When the Moon is Full Strickly for the Chickens An Eagle to the Sky Birding With A Purpose: Of Raptors, Gabboons, And Other Creatures Wild Food Cookbook-89