Start by marking “The Mystery of the Great Swamp” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Great Swamp

The Mystery of the Great Swamp

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Deep into the great swamp, Jeb takes his boat-down the dark, silent waterways. Suddenly in the deathly stillness, he hears a strange, high eerie sound. A phantom boat glides swiftly across the dark water, and disappears. Jeb flees in terror, but even as he does, he knows he will return. He must find out the secret of the great swamp!
Published December 1971 by Scholastic Book Services

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Great Swamp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Great Swamp

Gwen Haaland
I am referring to the 1967 version of "The Mystery of the Great Swamp" set in the great okefenokee swamp. An intriguing story involving an adventurous boy in the Okefenokee Swamp who discovers a few survivors of a lost tribe of native Americans hidden in a remote corner of the water jungle.
I loved this book so much when I was a child. I even read it to my own children when they were old enough to appreciate it.
Joseph
I really liked this mystery when I was like ten or something. It was well written and very intriguing. It's about a boy who has lived in the Florida swamp area with his family the entirety of his life. While exploring on his raft/boat on the water one day he discovers a secret waterway in which he explores and finds the last of an Indian tribe and all the fascinating ruins of the formerly great tribe. A good read, especially for children and early teens.
Julie
This young man grows up knowing the swamps. Upon discovering an unknown waterway, he goes to explore it and ends up fleeing from an unknown sound. His fear of the unknown causes him to make some poor choices but he seeks to find the answers...and does that turn his fear to understanding.

There are so many fears in life that only last until we come to understanding.
Andy
Jan 17, 2012 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 5-star
Designed as a children's story, I still got caught up in it and enjoyed it immensely. Fun story, interesting characters, delightful scene descriptions.
Pyke
Pyke is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Jeremie Addiss
Jeremie Addiss is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Angela Eggsandbacon
Angela Eggsandbacon marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jessica Stegner
Jessica Stegner marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Ramires Palen
Ramires Palen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Libbie
Libbie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Pattenglishteacher
Pattenglishteacher marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Nancy
Nancy added it
Aug 14, 2013
Sonia Garg
Sonia Garg marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 19, 2012