With a Hammer for My Heart

With a Hammer for My Heart

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  14 reviews
You never know what will fall from the sky...In this remarkable novel, George Ella Lyon creates characters rich and vibrant as the Kentucky landscape they call home, touching that secret place in all of us where we wait for love's transforming power...You never know what will fall from the sky...
Published March 9th 1999 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about With a Hammer for My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With a Hammer for My Heart

Karima
Just finished this book and am left feeling very grateful. Grateful that I am a reading person, grateful that I am still of sound mind and body and able to hold a real book and read it with capable eyes and last but not least, grateful for writers like George Ella Lyons. This is what reading is all about. Reading a book that hits you in the gut and keeps you alive and fresh.
This book shivered me timbers. Read it. I trust that you too will quake.

Some gems:

Mom. Drives fast. Cooks fast. Makes beds...more
Jen Selinsky
Lawanda Ingle is fifteen years old, poverty-stricken, and living in Cardin, Kentucky. She dreams of going to college once her high school education is complete. In order to raise some money, she decides to sell magazines to her neighbors. After Lawanda ventures to a place where she was forbidden to go, she meets and befriends Garland, a reclusive alcoholic who lives in two busses. When her parents find out about her relationship with the old man, they are extremely displeased. Despite their obje...more
Rebecca Brothers
When will I ever learn? The best prose is poetry, and this book is just that. Lyon’s novel is told from multiple perspectives, those of a young girl, Lawanda, getting ready for that time in high school when college plans loom large, and her extended family, including a Mamaw who has visions of Jesus herself. Yes, herself. We meet Lawanda as she schemes for college expenses through the innocence only a sheltered teenager could muster: she thinks selling magazines will earn her enough money to fin...more
Matthew
I had to read this book all the way through and it almost lost me, but perseverance certainly paid off and it earned five stars. Mrs. Lyon has an incredible talent of drawing the reader in, changing course and tying all together.

This book was rated as a young adult read and it certainly would fit that. However, I think it would take a mature reader to understand the larger concepts. A wonderful read that ties in compassion, understanding, forgiveness, and all of those things which make us bette...more
Ryan
It was pretty good. I say that because I believe that it was well written and that GEL had a lot of intention in writing it and obviously put a lot of effort into its creation. But it didn't make me feel anything. I didn't really care what happened to any of the characters, didn't really identify with anyone, and never really thought about the book when I wasn't reading it. If I didn't have to read this for a class, I would've never picked up the book.
Tina  M
I love the Kentucky heritage in this book. I got to had a small group writing class with this author, George Ella, and it was wonderful. I learned some fabulous writing strategies from her. I liked her very much.
Ginny
This book gave great insight into some of the trials and tribulations of Appalachia. Anyone who has experience with Appalachian culture and/or the people of Appalachia must read this book!
Lesley
This will be the book for this year's Northern Kentucky One Book One Community program!
Brenda
This is the One Book, One Community title for Northern Kentucky this year.
Desera Favors
I loved this book check out my review online!
Lora
A bit unusual, but I enjoyed it.
Beth
One of my favorites.
Jill
I loved this book. The characters were all too real and touched my heart!
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Angela Carrier
Angela Carrier marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 30, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Pizza
Pizza added it
Nov 20, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
All the Water in the World The Pirate of Kindergarten Holding on to Zoe My Friend, the Starfinder Trucks Roll!