Start by marking “Race, Class, & Gender: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Race, Class, & Gender: An Anthology

Race, Class, & Gender: An Anthology

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
RACE, CLASS, AND, GENDER, includes many interdisciplinary readings. The author's selection of very accessible articles show how race, class, and gender shape people's experiences, and help students to see the issues in an analytic, as well as descriptive way. The book also provides conceptual grounding in understanding race, class, and gender; has a strong historical and s ...more
Published April 25th 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Race, Class, & Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race, Class, & Gender

Nancy
Jun 03, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
So far, an excellent collection of essays that shows clearly what is wrong with the world and how deeply and insidiously the lives of so many people are affected by power imbalances in our society.

It looks like I won't be finishing this book.

Some fucker stole it off my desk at work last night.
Damien
Jan 28, 2009 Damien rated it really liked it
I read this book in the Winter of 2003; while I had been against racism, classism, and (hetero)sexism for my whole adult life, I didn't realize how serious all these issues really were until I read this anthology.
Sure, I always knew they were serious issues, but like most Americans, I almost felt like MY particular life was some how unaffected by them, or that freedom from institutionalized oppression was "just around the corner".
Since I was a young child, I knew that things were wrong on many
Amy
Mar 01, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-work
My favorite textbook ever...
Terri Lynn
I enjoyed this very much. After growing up in the 1960's and 1970's in Atlanta, Georgia, I got to see the civil rights movement and the women's liberation movement up close and was involved because my parents were liberals who fought for blacks and other minorities to have equal rights, were feminists, and who also fought even then for gay rights. I am fortunate to have been raised by people who set me on the same path of caring about social justice.

How far have we come in seeing social justice
Kimberly
Dec 08, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book used for $72.00 for Soc class this Fall. Realize that I read it when my daughter took the class some years ago! Still good. This book is a difficult read, at times, due to the complex subject matter and the small font! Most of the essays I really enjoy but the class quizzes on essays not so much! Really difficult quizzes so far! So much for acing the class but I love it and am learning a lot!
Kris
Feb 17, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it
Nancy Babbitt
May 25, 2013 Nancy Babbitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book that explores the intersecting relationships of power and privilege within socially constructed systems of race, class and gender.
Beth
Jun 08, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
Really interesting collection of stories and essays on the topic. Highly recommended.
Lauramaria
Oct 12, 2008 Lauramaria rated it really liked it
I had to read this and similar anthologies for a class and really enjoyed it.
Kelsey Byers
Jan 01, 2008 Kelsey Byers rated it really liked it
another interesting collection of essays and articles
Jana
Apr 20, 2011 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
Probably one of my favorite textbooks to date.
Hena
Aug 06, 2008 Hena rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nerds, intellectual types
Recommended to Hena by: brother's bookshelf
Shelves: political
i read some bits, t'was interesting
innit
T. Smith
Jul 31, 2011 T. Smith rated it it was amazing
anthology; in several editions now
Bill
Bill rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2016
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Miso Ellis
Miso Ellis marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
ziombel
ziombel marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Pennny
Pennny rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
L. Fredrick
L. Fredrick rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Maria Concetta
Maria Concetta marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Bal Bhandari
Bal Bhandari marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Pamela JRandolph
Pamela JRandolph rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Ryan Hendro
Ryan Hendro rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
A.B.
A.B. marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Amber Gillon
Amber Gillon marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
  • Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study
  • Rumors of Our Progress Have Been Greatly Exaggerated: Why Women's Lives Aren't Getting Any Easier--And How We Can Make Real Progress For Ourselves and Our Daughters
  • Reflections on the Way to the Gallows: Rebel Women in Prewar Japan
  • Feminist Theory Reader: Local and Global Perspectives
  • The Aftermath of Feminism: Gender, Culture and Social Change
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality
  • Culture of Cruelty: How America's Elite Demonize the Poor, Valorize the Rich and Jeopardize the Future
  • The Gendered Society Reader
  • On Intellectual Activism
  • Get Up, Stand Up: Uniting Populists, Energizing the Defeated, and Battling the Corporate Elite
  • Everything But the Burden: What White People Are Taking from Black Culture
  • Faces At The Bottom Of The Well: The Permanence Of Racism
  • On the Justice of Roosting Chickens: Consequences of American Conquest & Carnage
  • The  Prosperous Few and the Restless Many (Real Story)
  • Journey of the Heart: The Path of Conscious Love
  • Privilege, Power, and Difference
  • Where to Start and What to Ask: An Assessment Handbook
Margaret Andersen is professor of Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Delaware. She is the author of THINKING ABOUT WOMEN: SOCIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVES ON SEX AND GENDER; SOCIOLOGY: UNDERSTANDING A DIVERSE SOCIETY (with Howard F. Taylor); SOCIOLOGY: THE ESSENTIALS (with Howard F. Taylor); UNDERSTANDING SOCIETY: READINGS IN SOCIOLOGY (with Kim A. Logio and Howard F. Taylor); and SOCIAL ...more
More about Margaret L. Andersen...