A Long Bright Future: The Very Good News About Living Longer

A Long Bright Future: The Very Good News About Living Longer

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From one of the world's leading authorities on longevity and aging comes the first book to address a uniquely twenty-first century question: What are we going to do with those twenty or thirty years we didn’t expect?

Due to unfounded fears of unhappiness and regret, many intelligent, otherwise rational people, even into their forties and fifties, are so convinced that old...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Broadway

Stan
A long, dry discussion of aging and ways to deal with social, economic, health and other factors across generations. Worth skimming. When I came to the last chapter I felt like I was reading the book for the third time.
Brendan
I met Laura Carstensen after she gave a wonderful lecture at Stanford. The program was basically a "back to school" day for parents of then Stanford students and my daughter, Rosemary, said that Carstensen would be a highlight of the day - my daughter was right.
This book is a very important read and should be required reading for all members of congress. It provides keen insight into just how badly our system is broken. We have a social security system that is based on false assumptions that jus...more
Jane
The book makes some very good points but it was a bit repetitive. The author has great life style re-engineering ideas (including working longer) but I really don't see how they could be implemented. For example, there are a number of factors that make working longer impractical or sometimes impossible. Holding that out as a solution, puts people in a position to be unprepared for a forced retirement. According to the Employe Benefit Research Institute's 2012 Retirement Confidence Survey, "half...more
Tina Carstensen Lopez
I loved reading my sister's book. Very positive advice on how to grow older and how as a society we can take care of one another responsibly. I learned a lot.
Tony
Not for a young guy that just retired last week at 55. This book suggests that people shouldn't retire until at least 80 and then gradually ease into retirement.
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Elliehstone
Elliehstone marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Azeem Malik
Azeem Malik marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2012
Gina
Gina is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2010
Vernell
Vernell marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2010
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2010
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 15, 2009
Angela O
Angela O is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2009
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2009
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2009
Your Future, Starting Now: Find Happiness, Connection, Health & Wealth, Long Life Mechanisms of Psychological Influence on Physical Health: With Special Attention to the Elderly Handbook of Clinical Gerontology Social Structures, Aging, and Self-Regulation in the Elderly Social and Emotional Aging (Annual Review of Psychology)