Start by marking “Breaking Point” as Want to Read:
Breaking Point

Breaking Point

When an aging mountain dam disintegrates, what should have been the last campout of the summer quickly turns into what could be the last campout of people's lives - and a group of strangers is compelled to forge new bonds of trust or be destroyed. But as life-threatening as the rapidly rising water is, there are forces in the canyon that are even more terrifying. Once ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Point

Brenda
Jun 27, 2009 Brenda rated it liked it
Rachel Nielsen
Jan 04, 2011 Rachel Nielsen rated it it was ok
At first I really liked this book. It starts out with a dam breaking and a bunch of strangers in the canyon are thrown together to help each other survive. After they are rescued is when the book goes downhill. Each main character is then written about. It's almost as if she wrote mini books inside the book. It is not cohesive. 3You almost forget about the other characters because each section is so long.
Megan Swanson
Aug 25, 2010 Megan Swanson rated it it was ok
I was so annoyed by the beginning of this book that it may have colored the rest. The end stuff was good, while sort of random-the plot really didn't have anything to do with the dam breaking in the beginning and I thought that was weird. Anyway, the reason I was annoyed was that I had SO much TROUBLE trying to keep characters straight. They were introduced so fast that I had a little trouble closer to the end too.
Patricia
Mar 11, 2014 Patricia rated it liked it
This was a story about a group of people who were down stream when a dam broke and about how they escaped harm and were eventually rescued (I don't think that is actually a spoiler, but some may argue otherwise....). Then, the storyline follows each subgroup's story for a while. It gave the feeling, particularly Kobie's story because it seemed longer than the others', that there were almost different "books" within the book. It was a nice book with interesting enough characters.
Christina
I have only read a few of Jennie Hansen's books, and this one seems to be as action packed. I was a little frustrated that the book introduced so many main characters at the beginning, then told bits and pieces of different unrelated stories throughout the book. I thought it could have been at least 2 books - one that focused on the story of Gage / Jena/ Trent / Cassie and another that focused on Shalise and Web. Other than the 'jumpiness' between unrelated story lines, I liked it.
Jessica Kiesling
Mar 10, 2012 Jessica Kiesling rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! I love this book! This book follows a group of survivors after a dam breaks in Utah and the changes the event brings to their lives. I could not put the book down. You will love the characters even the ones you thought you would hate! If you like feel good suspense than this is an excellent book!
Marian.brady
Oct 25, 2009 Marian.brady rated it liked it
I had a hard time at first keeping track of all the different characters in this book. But it was fun to see how they came together, went their seperate ways and still kept in touch. This a dam breaking, a kidnapping, a family reunited, and new family started all in this one book!
Katie W
Jan 06, 2011 Katie W rated it really liked it
A very griping story of a couple of different groups of people who were trapped in a canyon when a dam broke. Their trek to survival brought them close together. I like how their stories weaves together following that adventure.
Sharla Taylor
Nov 02, 2010 Sharla Taylor rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced book that unites a group of strangers as they are thrown together as a dam breaks and leaves them stranded together. I loved how relationships were formed as they helped each other survive and those bonds continued to join them together and change their lives. Loved it.
Susan
Apr 06, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Breaking Point was not only where the dam broke, but also the breaking point in the lives of the characters in the story. Jennie Hansen has a way of drawing me into her books and I was immediately interested in the characters, their story, and how each became intertwined.
Jo
Aug 04, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun, adventure and sweet romance

I actually have this book in paperback but I wanted my mom to be able to read in large print so I bought the Kindle version. I enjoyed reading it this time as much as I did when it first came out.
Susan
Oct 28, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
This was an interesting and different book. It follows a few different individuals as well as groups of people. Easy read and a good book!
Markell
Jun 05, 2007 Markell rated it really liked it
Good book. Another one I couldn't put down. I enjoyed escaping into others lives and learning new life lessons from them.
Debbie
Oct 21, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I liked this book the first time I read it and I like it each time I read it again. My daughter likes it very much also.
Veneita
Apr 18, 2009 Veneita rated it really liked it
This book was a great suspence. I loved the happy ending although I will say a lot of these books don't tie up the endings very tight.
Cheryl
Apr 08, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This is an awsome book and I really enjoyed reading it. If you love remance and suspence all in one this is the book to read.
Ann
Sep 18, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it
This book really got on my nerves, it just had so many character jumps, but when it was over I thought "Huh, that was actually a pretty good book."
Melissa Byington taylor
Sep 30, 2012 Melissa Byington taylor rated it really liked it
This was a great book about how people can change their lives
in the midst of a survival situation....the things disasters can teach us-things we can learn from them.
Ellen
Jan 02, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I generally like Jennie Hansen, and this book is no exception. I like how she melds multiple characters lives into one event. While its not my favorite of Jennie's books, it was a worthwhile read.
Shalise Fisher
Jul 09, 2009 Shalise Fisher rated it really liked it
This book has my name in it! Isn't that cool? I don't usually find my name in anything since it's so unique.
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2013
Brady
Brady rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2012
Lee Brown
Lee Brown rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
H20skrcox.net
H20skrcox.net rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2009
Tamara1313
Tamara1313 rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Amy Williams
Amy Williams rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Margene Edwards
Margene Edwards rated it liked it
May 14, 2013
Kandi
Kandi rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Scarlettmiller
Scarlettmiller rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2011
Sarah rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2011
  • Above Suspicion (Haggerty Mystery, #3)
  • Lost and Found
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • Winter Fire
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • No Time for Love

“staggered on together. A dark shape” 0 likes
“I want them to come get us right now.” The little girl drew her mouth down in a pout. “I’m all dirty and hungry. I’m cold too.” “Poor little princess,” her brother mocked. “I’ve got something you can eat.” Kobie’s smile brightened before he dashed across the small clearing to retrieve his backpack. “Just how long are we going to be stuck here?” Wade demanded. He took a step toward the others who were gathered around the fire, then coughed as a wave of thick smoke hit him. “I have important business in Chicago.” “Oh yeah, real important,” Bryan sneered. “You’re just afraid your girlfriend might find someone else before you get back.” “Bryan!” Chelsea spoke in a warning voice. Wade took a step toward his son, his fists clenched and fury showing on his face. Web shifted his weight, prepared to intercede should Wade attempt to strike his son. “Look! M&Ms!” Kobie stepped between the combatants, waving a large package of the candy-coated chocolate pieces over his head, oblivious to the confrontation between Bryan and Wade. He hurried to Rachel’s side. “My grandma gave them to me, but you can have some.” “Perhaps you can share with everyone,” Shalise said. “I think we’re all hungry.” “And thirsty,” Emily added. “Don’t you think it’s ironic that we spent all that time and effort escaping water, and now we don’t have any to drink?” “Actually we do.” It was Cassie’s turn to retrieve her backpack. From its depths she produced a plastic bottle of water and three granola bars, which she quartered and passed around. The tiny squares of breakfast bars and a handful of candy were soon washed down with a squirt of water from the plastic bottle. Web listened for more planes as he munched on his share of the meager rations. Occasionally he caught the drone of the small plane that had flown over earlier, but it seemed to be concentrating its attention on the other side of the main canyon. He wished he could communicate with the sheriff or the pilot of that plane, but his radio and supplies had been left behind in his cruiser. He wouldn’t even have been able to light a fire last night if Bryan hadn’t slipped him a cigarette lighter when his mother wasn’t looking. Gage walked up beside him.“How bad is the slide?” the younger man asked. Web knew he was referring to the slide blocking the trail out of the canyon. “There’s no way we can cross it.” “And there’s no way a chopper can set down here.” Gage answered back, gesturing at the small clearing where they sat dwarfed by towering pines. “By now the water will have receded a great deal, but it will be days before we’ll be able to walk out.” Gage hadn’t heard Cassie approach, but he nodded his head at her words, acknowledging that her judgment was correct. “That means we’ve got to find a spot where the rescuers can reach us.” Gage stared thoughtfully at the steep mountain towering above them. “There is a place . . .” Gage paused and Web turned to him, anxious to hear what he might suggest that could possibly lead them out of this nightmare. CHAPTER 5 Shalise sat beside Chelsea Timmerman on one of the logs near the fire pit. They changed position each time a fickle breeze shifted the plume” 0 likes