Start by marking “Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,142 ratings  ·  74 reviews
In Silicon Valley slang, a "bozo explosion" is what causes a lean, mean, fighting machine of a company to slide into mediocrity. As Guy Kawasaki puts it, "If the two most popular words in your company are partner and strategic, and partner has become a verb, and strategic is used to describe decisions and activities that don't make sense"...then it's time for a reality che ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 29th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published October 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Reality Check, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reality Check

Erwin
Guy Kawasaki is an entertaining writer, a curious mind, and most important, a straight shooter.
So much of business, especially the business press, is filled with abstract hype. Cheerleading for a specific style of doing things, or reverse engineering the possible causes of some outcome --- but without including all of the information about people who took the same steps, but did not come up with the outcome described. Basically, much of the business press --- especially the popular stuff, is nic
Noah
I was skeptical of this book because the author, Guy Kawasaki, is a member of the Silicon Valley pundit class of which I am always skeptical. He also seems to be a member of the subspecies that has coasted for the last 20 years based on one gig at one high-profile company; the Bay Area tech community is overflowing with people who answered phones for a few years at Microsoft, Sun, etc. and have since parlayed that into a vague executive bio and a string of 80 failed startups. I actually enjoyed ...more
Chad Warner
Another of Guy Kawasaki’s excellent handbooks for startups. He dispels many myths and provides practical steps to starting and growing a business. The chapters are short but thought-provoking, and will enhance your “entrepreneurial quotient” whether you sell products or services.

Kawasaki expands on the lessons of The Art of the Start, which I found very worthwhile (read my review). In addition to his ample firsthand experience, Kawasaki includes interviews with experts, research from recent stud
Aaron
This book is like a bible for entrepreneurs. The first and only read is never sufficient as the book has too many takeaways. When relevant situation permits, you will flip through this book again and again just to grasp your reality.

Straight to the point and plenty of tough needed love. 5 stars for the comprehensive information.
Tom
Kawasaki, Guy (2008) Reality Check, Portfolio, The Penguin Group, New York, NY. This book is a bible for Silicon Valley Entrepreneurs. Read it, enjoy it, and put its advice into practice in your startup. Guy Kawasaki tells it like it is and is a great source of insight into what goes on behind the scenes in Silicon Valley.
Gari
While the focus is on Apple, Silicon Valley, tech firms, and start ups, Guy Kawasaki shares many gems of wisdom for those out to change the world or help a nonprofit succeed.
Robert
Readers will welcome the use of bold face to highlight key points. This device will facilitate, indeed expedite frequent review of those key points later. I especially appreciate the inclusion of several interviews throughout the lively narrative. They include those of Fred Greguras on key legal issues in raising funds (Pages 51-59), Chip and Dan Heath on why only a few innovations "stick" and most don't (Pages 130-138), Kathleen Gasperini on marketing to young people (Pages 168-175), Garr Reyno ...more
JD Lasica
I've long followed the writings of Guy Kawasaki, the heralded Apple evangelist-emeritus-for-life. When we finally met at the recent Web 2.0 Summit, he surprised me by handing me a copy of his fresh-off-the-presses book, Reality Check: The irreverent guide to outsmarting, outmanaging and outmarketing your competition. So disclosure: I have a soft spot for authors who know how to leverage the blogosphere.

A reality check is exactly what the tech industry needs at this time of economic turmoil, and
Tyler Franklin
They say mentors are a critical entrepreneurial element. Why? Because old people know lots of tricks and shortcuts. They've solved lots of the same problems before. They have keys to more doors. They are well-equipped to sniff out stupidity. Their knowledge can clear the fog of war. So why doesn't every aspiring entrepreneur just go find one? In short, typically a lack of connections, social capital and/or mutual financial interest.

Kawasaki is a coveted mentor in the Valley, so it's pure gold to
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
FANTASTIC! Really irreverent, but soooooo true! In my experience starting companies, selling companies, living through a poor acquisition and subsequent failure of a company, turning around a suddenly failing company, as an employee, sales person, cash manager for a newly public company, marketing publication author, being personal friends with big VC guys, as well as what I now term "angel investor" (thanks Guy!)and consulting for other small businesses, I am laughing and agreeing with Guy on e ...more
Loy Machedo
There are rare moments when you come across a book that has so much of content, logic & wisdom squeezed into its pages, you do not feel you have done justice to the book by reading it just once. Books like The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, The Element by Sir Ken Robinson and Influence by Robert Cialdini. To my biggest surprise, I would be adding Guy Kawasaki to this list - at least for now.

Who is Guy Kawasaki
No, he is not the founder of Kawasaki Speed Bikes or the Owner of the Brand Kawas
Gianni
Guy did it again! Really well laid out book, lots of insights and practical tips about being an entrepreneur in the digital world. Special kudos to the non-profit ending section. Be an evangelist, read this book and change the world - once again!
Sankarshan
If you have read other books from Guy or, follow him on Twitter or, read his blog, you will probably think that there isn't any new content. That isn't completely true. However, those who take this book to get introduced to Guy will have mind blowing content. Even in these troubled times, the snippets around startups, VC funding, presentation, business plans and communication are well rounded even if fairly radical.

Words aren't minced. Bushes aren't beaten around in this. Typical in-your-face st
Aj
Fantastic book with the practical knowledge Guy Kawasaki has learned over two decades of innovation and living the startup life.
Norbert
I received it as a promotional gift for buy Enchantment from Guy Kawasaki

Useful manual for entrepreneurs. There is a part of the book very focused on start-ups. How to raise venture capital, who do you need to have in your team, etc...breaking all the myths and all the classical errors that start-ups do.
Rest of the book is useful for anyone who is involved in a business environment.

Although content is really helpful, I found the book not that much engaging as others. Maybe a lack of flow between
Naiara Larranaga
Same perspective, same ideas and same outcome as any other book. Waste of time.
Joshua
Good book that had some helpful connections to church work.
Adi Arifin
Brilliant. In simple - even amusing - way Guy show us practical insight in various business aspects in which most of us struggling to get a grip. Good thing to know is that Guy is not a theorists ... he is not an academician himself. Everything he was saying in Reality Check are based on hands on experience. Therefore those checklist items are absolutely makes sense ... we are encountering them each and every day ... and Guy showing us what to pay attention to as well as the right way to cope wi ...more
James (JD) Dittes
I've taken a number of graduate-level business classes, and I can easily say that Kawasaki's book trumps the stuff I was forced to buy. While it's tailored to a Silicon Valley start-up, the advice here works for any entrepreneur, manager or maverick employee.

Kawasaki features short chapters (94 in 435 pages) and a cut-the-shiitake writing style that lends credibility to his interviews and observations. His personality shines through, but his advice is universal and easily applied in a number of
Terry
This book is one of the best business books I have read in a long time. Kawasaki is funny, irreverant about conventional business wisdom and even has cute little shots at Steve Jobs. For anyone who aspires to be an entrepreneur, or who plans to raise money for a venture, you must read this book. Even the not for profit entrepreneur should read it. There are great lists and terrific insights. Kawasaki is a master marketer and his clarity about how to set strategy is fabulous. Read this book. You' ...more
Derek
Great and quick tips. More than you'd ever need--so a good hub to get anything you need. Personal taste, but a little too much profanity than expected from such a book.
Richard Stephenson
This is the 1st real Guy book I've had the pleasure of reading (listening in this case) and overall I have to say... I have a LOT to learn... though I...moreThis is the 1st real Guy book I've had the pleasure of reading (listening in this case) and overall I have to say... I have a LOT to learn... though I did get a 19/22 on his entrepreneurial quiz. :) I need ideas! Good stuff and though I did not come away with pages of take-aways, I did come out with a changed spirit and some wonderful insigh ...more
Kathleen Gilroy
Most of this book can be found in other places like Guy's blog and his earlier books. Nevertheless he is a really good writer and this is a must-read for anyone involved in or thinking about a start-up. I agree with his ideas about mantras and the lies that venture capitalists, lawyers, and entrepreneurs will tell you. The chapters on planning, marketing, and selling are also top rate. While Guy is not necessarily original, he packages and presents ideas about business better than almost anybody ...more
Cristobal
This is a must read for entrepreneurs or anyone thinking of taking the plunge. It's a little bit biased towards technology entrepreneurs but its advice works well for anyone thinking about starting their own business or joining a startup. Along with being full of useful ideas it also has many real life examples and contributions from everyday practitioners that make it a lot more relevant.
Jmswtsn
Great writing style, great experience-based content, every small buisness hopeful should read this book. Many of the lessons about unrealistic expectations, the need for actual, real research before making what may otherwise seem "common sense" claims or predictions. One of the best books I've read this year.
Nick
If you only ever read one business book about how to succeed in the wild, wacky world of corporate life, read this one. It's consistently brilliant, funny, and insightful. Guy Kawasaki has penned a treasure here, and his readers are the winners. There is good advice on every page.
Mako78gma
Kawasaki cuts to the chase to outsmarting your business competition. He was the evangelistic force behind the breakout of the Mac over the obvious superiority of the Windows platform and is now the "evangelista" of business start ups, especially tech start ups.
Arthur Charles Duhamel
Feb 17, 2009 Arthur Charles Duhamel added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mustafa Maluka
Recommended to Arthur Charles by: Guy Kawasaki
This book kicks off teaching you stuff you thought you knew about entrepreneurship. I started my first business fresh out of school, been in the game for 16 years and along comes Guy Kawasaki and tells me the stuff I never knew I never knew.
Bill Brown
A lot of this material is a rehash of his other books and common sense. The latter is valuable occasionally in order to re-focus, but I didn't need that at this time.

The format is very readable with clear signposting and breezy anecdotes.
Steven
Reality Check is a good how-to book for various aspects of starting a company. However, the book scratches the surface on several key issues. I would have liked the book to dive a bit deeper at times into problems that startups face.
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Business Law
  • How to Get Rich
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1954. My family lived in a tough part of Honolulu called Kalihi Valley. We weren’t rich, but I never felt poor-because my mother and father made many sacrifices for my sister and me. My mother was a housewife, and my father was a fireman, real estate broker, state senator, and government official during his long, distinguished career.

I attended Iolani School where
More about Guy Kawasaki...
The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur. How to Publish a Book Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services What the Plus! Google+ for the Rest of Us