To the Highest Bidder

To the Highest Bidder

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Ben Searcy's best friend and business partner presents him with a very unusual birthday gift. Becca has bid on and won an auction and she's handing her winnings over to Ben. The highest bidder gets the privilege of sharing lunch with Mitch DeSantis, star of wildly popular television show, Case Files.

Though he's a huge fan of the show and not above entertaining a steamy fan...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 106 pages
Published December 8th 2008 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about To the Highest Bidder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Highest Bidder

Daisiemae
Jun 22, 2009 Daisiemae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a fast paced and sweet M/M Romance
Kate Steele is one of those authors that I automatically buy whatever book she writes. Ironically, she is one of those authors that are either a hit or miss with me. There is usually no in between with her. Her book, To the Highest Bidder has been released for some time. It’s one of the endless books that I have been pushing aside to read others. I am glad I finally decided to give this one a shot, because I really liked it.

Ben Searcy was more than a little shocked when his best friend and busin...more
Macky
This is another ordinary Joe meets famous celebrity romance but it's definitely one of the better ones. What lifts this one is the chemistry between Ben, a young gay bookstore owner who has been single for 12 months after a bad break up with his cheating ex,and who is now wary of getting into a new relationship and Mitch, a gorgeous, famous TV star who is the lead ( and crush )in one of Bens favourite shows. For Ben's birthday his best friend and business partner, Becca wins him a charity auctio...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I first read this one in August 2011 but for some reason didn't remember or review, so I am rereading.

Ben is a bookstore owner and all around nice guy, he's still coming off a bad break-up, so his best friend gives him a lunch date with his favorite TV star as a birthday gift.
Mitch agreed to be 'auctioned' off for a lunch date and the precedes go to a great cause, but he gets news that day that upset him and cause him to be a real ass to Ben during lunch.
It's explained, even if I think he shoul...more
Vio
Jun 16, 2012 Vio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vio by: Simsala
What makes this so good is the attraction that Ben and Mitch have for each other. Yes, their initial first date turns into a disaster, Mitch is a jerk and up himself, proclaiming bullshit at the time. Eventually Mitch comes around and persists in taking Ben out again, spending time together, getting a feel for each other. It made me feel good, its a lovely, sweet story and nicely written.
DarienMoya
^^ I BID FAREWELL TO THIS BOOK!^^
2.5

This was my least favourite book by Kate Steele, I am a huge fan of her paranormals but this one was quite forgettable and I doubt I will read it again. It was not horrible but I had a hard time developing feelings for the characters and in the end they remained quite forgettable.

Ben owns a book store and is a fan of a crime show on tv, best friend wins auction to have lunch with lead character and gives it to Ben as a birthday present. Ben is excited and re...more
Jenre
Aug 13, 2009 Jenre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This book caught my attention for two reasons. Firstly because one of the heroes is a famous person and I have a secret soft spot for a character who is famous - hence my love of the "Heaven Sent" books by Jet Mykles as well as the film "Notting Hill". Secondly, I thought the initial premise was a bit different. Our heroes meet when Ben, through a gift from a friend, wins dinner with Mitch, a famous television actor. Now personally, I can't think of a worst gift. I would hate having to meet a st...more
Kassa
I read this short novella while waiting for my plane to take off so it was the perfect size and pace for an easy, forgettable but fun story. The characters play on classic archetypes but inject some fresh perspectives to keep the story from being a re-tread of any number of classic themes. The decent writing and crisp prose keeps the story as a cute, entertaining read but light enough that the relationship between the men never really develops any intensity or angst.

The extended summary above g...more
Candice
I liked Ben, but Mitch? He was an ass. Never really connected with Mitch.
Ami

This book, in a way, reminds me of "Notting Hill" -- and I love that movie so much. Here we have a famous TV star and a bookstore owner as well. I think, for a novella, this one is written wonderfully. I must admit, when Ben meets Mitch for the first time, I want to slap Mitch for being an arrogant prick. But the story flows nicely, explaining Mitch's behavior ... and well, the epilogue in the end is just lovely.
Cole Riann
The first two thirds of this book were wonderful. The characters had a great chemistry -- that is, until they fell into bed, when the story got pretty boring and their interactions became too sweet with not much substance. I ended up skimming the last short bit of the story.
FloJ
I have only given this 4 stars because it was a bit short. It could easily have had a lot more content without challenging the writer's skills too much. There were quite a few points where it could easily have gone off at a tangent for a while.
Trisha Harrington
Loved this. Sweet and short. But it had two lovely MC's and I just fell in love with it. The epilogue was even better. Highly recommend this short story. :)
Anna Goerlitz
3,5 stars

Ben is in his late twenties. Gay, single and owns a bookstore with his friend Becca.
Becca bids on and wins a lunch with a popular tv actor, whose show Ben likes. This lunch becomes an early birthday present for Ben.
Becca sees this as a matchmaking opportunity as she has heard rumours that the actor, Mitch, is bi.

At the lunch, however, Mitch quickly disabuses Ben of any such notion as he makes it perfectly clear, that he doesn't date guys.
And really, even if he did, Ben wouldn't be int...more
Sadonna
Jul 31, 2011 Sadonna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, pdf, nook
This is a short, cute story about a guy, Ben, who gets a lunch with a TV star, Mitch, as a birthday present from his best friend and business partner. Becca has won an eBay charity auction and decides this would make an excellent gift. Unfortunately things don't go very well at the lunch and it ends up pretty much a bust from Ben's perspective.

Mitch feels bad about how things turned out and there were some extenuating circumstances that led to his bad behavior at the lunch. He and his publicist...more
Candice
Shana
Ben is delighted when his partner presents him with lunch with his favorite TV star for his birthday. Unfortunately, Mitch is seemingly nothing like the character he plays on TV, being such an ass that Ben can't escape their awkward meeting soon enough. When Mitch contacts him to apologize for his behavior, it seems too good to be true. Can it really work between a gay bookstore owner and a supposedly straight TV star?

Ben is an affable character, likable enough that it's no struggle to enjoy his...more
Elisa Rolle
This is a very nice novella, it's a bit sexy and naughty but mostly it's romantic and sweet. Ben is a bookstore owner (and also for this chosen career I would have found him nice), but he is not the classical library mouse; he is young, 26 years old, pretty and gay. Apparently he has also no problem to find companionship when he wants, but Ben is now looking only for true love. Even if he has had a bad experience in the past, he still believe in love. Ben's lover left him since Ben wasn't willin...more
Sammy Goode
Ben, part owner of a book store, is still recovering from a 3 year relationship that left him alone and hurting. His friend Becca bids on a charity auction and lands him a date with TV star Mitch DeSantis. Little does Ben know that the rather surly and rude Mr. DeSantis is hiding a secret of his own...namely the loss of the only man he ever loved after his own 5 year relationship. Now Mitch is attempting to be straight, is drawn inexorably to Ben and Ben is intent on running from the possibility...more
Jam
This book did not agree with me. The premise of the book was okay but this is one of the books that wasn't a hit with me.The plot was okay, but halfway through the story i was skipping just to see what happens in the end. hence 2.5 - 3 stars for you.
Melanie
So it's a pretty predictable story.
I expected to read this and feel kinda "Meh, so-so" but I was actually surprisingly satisfied. I really liked the epilogue.
Shin
The characters and their interaction were very interesting, there's nothing like some good bickering to bring up the sexual tension. The realization that his idol is actually not like in the movies was a nice trait, since this is usually the reality of things. It was intriguing to see this story exploit that aspect of fame.
I really loved it but it was cut much, much too short. The story ended just when it felt like it was starting. We get some time skip as an epilogue to keep us from whining too...more
Daniela
This was a really cute story and I totally enjoy it.

We have Ben, who owns a bookstore (which I considere a dream come true to every bookworm) and his best friend give him a pre-brithday gift that is a luch date with Mitch DeSantis, the star of Ben's favorite TV show. But when the luch takes place Ben is completly ignore by the snob actor, and he leaves without a last glance.

After some time, Mitch reappear and with a complete change of attitude. And after a dinner, sexy time, and a chase; Ben a...more
jules0623
I love this premise and, after reading several stories in a row where the story didn't live up to the blurb, I was thrilled that this one worked.

The MCs are sweet, even Mitch who is an utter prick to Ben when they first meet. He comes back and apologises and heat happens! The sex is steaming in this, and the boys make a real connection, both emotionally and physically.

This was a funny, sweet, sexy story. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a fun, light read.
LutaWolf
I loved it! Beyond being funny and cute it was well written. She gives you full character details, along with well written book details. I think the fact that the MC acted like an ass only added to the story. Who wants perfect characters? The connection between the MC could have been better, I kind of felt like all the talking in the sex took away rather than added a solid connection but I still felt it. I truely loved this book :)
Jenny
May 17, 2014 Jenny added it
Didn't finish. Just wasn't into this book.
Donna Burks
What a cute, quick read!!! Mitch and Ben both were very appealing as MCs...and Becca added a "strong, supportive" best friend...that I feel is a plus in any story!!! The guys had a slightly "rough" beginning...but as they say..."All's well, that end's well"!!! Just went to check, and yes this is my first book by this author!!! I am sure I will be reading more in the future!
Sandra Ramirez
3.5
It was short and cute. Mitch got in my nerves in the beginning but then he redeemed himself. Sure was glad about that! Ben was a good guy he deserved his HEA and deep down Mitch did too.
Nene
This was just what I needed today. A great romance! Isn't falling in love with one of our favorite actors a fantasty for many of us? The author captured that so well here. *blissful sigh*
OkayKim
First time I read it, must have been in a hurry. The second time though, I wondered why it was rated a 3 instead of a 4. Not a bad story, once you take the time to really read it.
Ayanna
Not a bad read. The premise and execution are solid, if a bit pedestrian. It did ring a little hollow, though. Perhaps it was its brevity working against it.
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Perfect Man
  • Man Candy (Candy, #1)
  • Second Sight
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Dare To
  • Tabloid Star (Tabloid Star, #1)
  • Letting In the Light
  • Satisfaction (Passion, #2)
  • The Other Man
  • Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)
  • You Can Leave Your Hat On
Having been an avid reader of romance for years, and being possessed of an overactive imagination, Kate decided only recently to try her hand at writing. She discovered that, like reading, writing romance has become addictive. Whether writing about werewolves and otherworldly creatures or contemporary gay/erotic romance, she has found the perfect outlet and is thrilled to be part of the Ellora's C...more
More about Kate Steele...
Altered Heart To Trust a Wolf (Whispering Springs Werewolves, #1) Midnight Howl (Hoosier Werewolf, #1) To Tempt a Wolf (Whispering Springs Werewolves, #2) A Sure-Fire Cure (A Sure-Fire Cure, #1)