Start by marking “The Dragon Style (Learn to Play Go, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Style (Learn to Play Go, #3)

The Dragon Style (Learn to Play Go #3)

The Dragon Style is the third volume in the popular Learn to Play Go series. Topics include seven deadly Go sins and eight secrets of winning play. Real games - even, high, and low handicap - are analyzed in depth. Includes a self-testing section and an extensive glossary of Go terminology.
Published May 3rd 2011 by Good Move Press (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Style

David
Jun 02, 2012 David rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, gaming, go
This third book in the Learn to Play Go series, which is supposed to bring you to about the 10-12 kyu level, I did not find as useful as the first two books. We're now at the level where you need to learn practical strategy and tactics, and much of the book is a recitation of terms and some illustration of basic principles we already know. The most useful parts were probably the example games, but you really need to study a lot of those to get much out of them.

So, am I a 10-12 kyu player yet? We
Towerwood
Feb 21, 2016 Towerwood rated it it was ok
The book starts with a list of "Do's" and a list of "Don'ts". Except for "Drive towards your thickness", most of the items are rather obvious. Yet, the combination of them can be quite confusing for a beginning player: "Hold the fort! (Do#8). But don't waste a move! (Do#6). And don't overplay! (Don't#3). Be sure to stay connected! (Do#4) But do not blunder! (Don't#2). The clue is of course that a beginning player doesn't know which Do or Don't is taking priority in a given situation. My biggest ...more
Coryke
Feb 27, 2011 Coryke rated it it was ok
Shelves: go-game
This book begins with the seven dangers and eight secrets of Go. The idea, of course, is to avoid the first group and practice the second. The problems is that the dangers are either vague or obvious, and the secrets are all very obvious if you have read any other book on Go. The eight secrets hardly warrant the use of the word "secret".

Much like the second volume in this series, there are plenty of diagram with explanation for each. Unfortunately, the explanations often leave the less experienc
Malcolm Bastien
Feb 25, 2013 Malcolm Bastien rated it liked it
It just didn't feel like as strong of a book compared to volumes 1 & 2.

The lessons (what to do and what not to do) are only briefly touched upon and don't find their way into any of the game commentaries.

It seemed weird to have an explantation of the handicap and ranking system in the third volume. It feels like it belongs as you are first being introduced to the game.

This book also includes some "For the experts" sidebars, which doesn't make a lot of sense because well, the book is called "
Sebastian
Sep 13, 2013 Sebastian rated it liked it
This volume has its pluses and minuses.

As you can see by my rating, I have mixed emotions about this volume. Let me start with the bad points. The first part of the book goes over Seven Dangers and Eight Secrets, which would be a good idea if the instruction was at the level it should have been. In this section we just get an enumeration of this we should and shouldn't do when playing. The comments are really brief and do not really go much above and beyond what we already received in the previo
Andrew
Jan 05, 2011 Andrew rated it it was ok
This book is a step down from the compendium of practical knowledge that was Book 2.

Many of the points made by the first section are trivial pieces of advice, or vague aphorisms and the information is not as directly applicable. I really enjoyed the sections on "vulgar" moves (plays that force an opponent to strengthen his structures but don't actually gain you anything), dual-life (also known as "seki"), driving opponents into your "thickness" (strong inward-facing walls)

The majority of the boo
Serge Pierro
Oct 12, 2013 Serge Pierro rated it liked it
Shelves: go
The third volume of Janice Kim's series on learning how to play Go was a bit of a disappointment. After two volumes of excellent instruction, this one lacked the level of instruction that was prevalent in the previous volumes. The first half of the book was clearly the weaker section - not terrible, but it fell short of expectations. The second half was much better, as it featured annotated games, with top-notch commentary! One even game and two handicap games were analyzed. Despite its shortco ...more
Joy
Sep 18, 2007 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: games
Third book in Janice Kim and Jeong Soo-hyun's "Learn to Play Go" series. While I've found the series to be a good intro, I am beginning to feel the lack of strategy development in the series at this point. I suspect they discuss strategy more in the next volumes, but I'm of the opinion that a more indepth discussion of, say, the opening strategies would have been appropriate by now. In short, not bad, but best supplemented by the Elementary Go series.
James Heiney
Mar 01, 2013 James Heiney rated it liked it
I thought the seven dangers/eight secrets section of the book was okay, but could have been meatier. The sample games in the second part of the book and well-commented and show how useful a commented game can be to a beginning player.

That being said, there are many useful sites to download commented games from and I think this book is less practical than her first two. If you could borrow it versus buying it, I'd say you would be better off.
William Herbst
Jul 09, 2012 William Herbst rated it it was ok
This volume of the series started to include longer lines of play with less explanation and some of the positions arrived at we're opaque to me. The author would discuss how one position was obviously stronger than another at various points but it was difficult for me as a novice to understand why she felt that way. It almost felt like some stage of the instruction was skipped. Perhaps I'm just thick when it comes to go though.
Damon
Jan 17, 2009 Damon rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-go
Volumn three of Janice Kim's series on learning Go, covers actual game play and stratagies. She goes over bad habits that beginners have and what they need to do to eliminate them. She also covers the good habits of professional or high level players and how to emulate them. She provides several game examples, in which she explains good and bad moves in even games, small handicap games and large handicap games.
Brian
Apr 21, 2009 Brian rated it liked it
Not as good as the last one, but still very helpful. Replaying pro games, particularly with such ample commentary, is a good way to learn how strong players react to adversity. Definitely refined my understanding of invasion and extension and the rest.
Bill
Feb 21, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
A clear book, good as a refresher on what's most important, but too little material for the price. "Better than thinking about winning is to think about playing well. You can play good go, get stronger, and win more easily this way".
Toni
Jun 15, 2013 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: games
I happened to be the target level and have to say that for me this was excellent reading. There's few simple dos and don'ts (simple to explain, atleast) and three surprisingly interesting walkthroughs on actual games. Great book!
Stefano
Feb 05, 2015 Stefano rated it liked it
Shelves: suspended
The Dragon Style (Learn to Play Go, Volume III) (Learn to Play Go Service) by Janice Kim (1996)
Kashif Nazir
Kashif Nazir rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Brad Morris
Brad Morris marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Andrew
Andrew added it
Aug 25, 2016
JethOrensin
JethOrensin rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Ron
Ron rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jun 12, 2016
Mike Flanders
Mike Flanders rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Ramesh Abhiraman
Ramesh Abhiraman is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • In the Beginning  (Elementary Go Series, #1)
  • Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)
  • Go for Beginners
  • Java Software Solutions (Java 5.0 version): Foundations of Program Design
  • Microeconomic Theory: Basic Principles and Extensions
  • Hacking the Xbox: An Introduction to Reverse Engineering
  • Econometric Analysis
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 1: 1995-1999 (Hardcover)
  • Introduction to Probability and Mathematical Statistics

Learn to Play Go (5 books)
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • Battle Strategies (Learn to Play Go, #4)
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • The Palace of Memory (Learn to Play Go, #5)