Melbourne (Biography & Memoirs)

Melbourne (Biography & Memoirs)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Lord Melbourne was Prime Minister from 1843-1835 and was a kind friend and guide to the young Victoria on her accession. Earlier he was married to Lady Caroline Lamb, the mistress of Byron. He played an important role in the social and political history of England.
Published May 19th 1986 by Constable (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Melbourne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melbourne

Chris Coffman
Finally, on a slightly different tangent, I was reading GRACE AND POWER by Sally Bedell Smith. GRACE AND POWER is about John and Jackie Kennedy, and the book mentions that as a young man in London John Kennedy was fascinated by the biography of William Lamb, Lord Melbourne, written by Lord David Cecil. (it may be recalled that Lord Melbourne’s wife Caroline was infatuated with Byron and famously referred to him as “mad, bad and dangerous to know”.)

Apparently John Kennedy was fascinated by the ri...more
Philip Lane
Absolutely fascinating biography of a man I knew very little about. Cecil has a very easy chatty style which makes the history very accessible. I felt a great deal of personal sympathy for Melbourne and whilst his early life was interesting it was his later relationship with Queen Victoria which really made the book special. I found the revelations about how important they were to each other quite spellbinding and would love to see that portrayed in a film or drama series. A book I would happily...more
Lisa
I have read this before and it's the most wonderful book. It was supposed to be John F.Kennedy's favourite book! I can see why.

David Cecil paints an enchanting account of Lord Melbourne's life from his troubled relationship with his imposing and rather immoral mother and his marriage to the beautiful Lady Caroline to his fatherly love for the young Queen Victoria.

His analysis of Lord Melbourne's pragmatic and compromising character is brilliant. The section on the differences between Melbourne a...more
Hock Tjoa
Cecil transports us to the very highest strata of early Victorian society; Melbourne was Victoria's first prime minister and treated the young queen with courtesy, humor and wisdom. She trusted him and support his Whig policies. She did not like Peel or Gladstone but succumbed to Disraeli's charms.

The chapter that shows Melbourne in his declining years is perhaps one of the saddest I have read; it is perhaps what Mr. Chips encountered when he aged and saw new generations of teachers and students...more
Rachel Knowles
This is a well-written biography of William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, husband of the notorious Lady Caroline Lamb and Prime Minister to Queen Victoria.

I found the exposition of his character and personal life fascinating, but struggled with all the political details of his life in public office.
Toni
This has been listed as President John Kennedy's favorite book. It was difficult to attain- libraries or used book stores. I would recommend it to anyone highly interested in British history and politics.
Matt
Phenomenal work. One of the best biographies I have ever read and one of JKF's favorite books according to Life Magazine in 1961.
Mark
Jan 11, 2008 Mark marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me by a friend as beautifully written, and John F. Kennedy's favorite books.
Matthew Sutton
well-written biography about a fascinating english figure
David Kuhn
David Kuhn marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Max Schwed
Max Schwed marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Wt Anderson
Wt Anderson marked it as to-read
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Kristen-Marie Freeman
Kristen-Marie Freeman marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Rakim Jackson
Rakim Jackson marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Richard Rojas
Richard Rojas marked it as to-read
Edan
Edan marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Jtblue
Jtblue marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
James-clifton
James-clifton marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Globalwealthopcom
Globalwealthopcom marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Portrait Of Jane Austen The Young Melbourne The Cecils of Hatfield House: A Portrait of an English Ruling Family Early Victorian Novelists Max: A Biography